: Serial > USB Adapters Compatible with EvoScan

xPRimNT
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Hi all,

I know somebody down the road is going to be searching for this information, so I thought I'd get it published somewhere on the all-informative interwebs.

I have heard of people having trouble getting the Serial to USB adapters working with EvoScan (currently 2.6b16). As such, I figured that I would start up a thread to have people discuss what they have and have not had success with.

To start it off, I suppose I can point out the most commonly referenced adapter for EvoScan. Apparently, the Keyspan Adapter works well for those that try it, though I'm hoping those people will chime in and confirm. This requires hooking up the WB to a serial cable, then the serial cable to this adapter.

This isn't what I did, however. I hadn't heard of the problems yet (EvoScan wasn't really working for the X when I bought my logging equipment), so I just went for the cheapest I could find on eBay! Fortunately for me, it works just fine.

So, here's the start of a list!

Confirmed Working
Keyspan Adapter - Link
Belkin Adapter - Link (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459431)
Cables Unlimited - LinkMight Work with Convincing

My Cheap-O eBay Adapter - Link (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180343657519)Confirmed "Oh Crap I Bought the Wrong Adapter"

Dynex Adapter - Link (http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-197-13-dynex-16-usb-pdaserial-adapter-cable.aspx)Please add from your own experiences!

(If these links are not allowed, please just let me know. I know that Amazon isn't a vendor here, but I don't think the people that sponsor this site sell a lot of computer cables...)

boostin20
07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
This is going to be a good thread, and thanks for that ebay link.

xPRimNT
07-11-2009, 05:14 PM
No problem! I can't guarantee that the eBay ones will always work, but that particular one did, so I thought others might like some options.

lwevert
07-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I got my AEM UEGO installed last night and about to hookup the serial. I have a dynex adapter from ebay. If it works or doesn;t I'll post back the results.

lwevert
07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
dynex does not worked. It would go for a couple frames then repeat the same number, did three logs all the same.

xPRimNT
07-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Thanks lwevert, sorry to hear that it isn't working, hopefully this helps other people. Report back when you find one that works!

Confirmed Working
Keyspan Adapter - Link
My Cheap-O eBay Adapter - Link (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180343657519)Confirmed "Oh Crap I Bought the Wrong Adapter"

Dynex Adapter - Link (http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-197-13-dynex-16-usb-pdaserial-adapter-cable.aspx)

LAX
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I have the Cables Unlimited one from Amazon (18 bucks plus free shipping on orders over $25) here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimted-USB-Serial-Adapter/dp/B0006LSIOI/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247435748&sr=8-8

This works fine with my LC-1 and evoscan.

goofygrin
07-13-2009, 01:22 AM
I have a Belkin one. It works fine with my Innovate wideband and evoscan, but it only works in 32bit OSes, no 64bit drivers.

xPRimNT
07-13-2009, 01:23 AM
^ I think that's a valid point. I haven't tested mine with anything but 32 bit.

List updated, thanks guys. Goofy, do you know which version of Belkin you have?

xPRimNT
07-13-2009, 01:24 AM
Confirmed Working
Keyspan Adapter - Link
My Cheap-O eBay Adapter - Link (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180343657519)
Belkin Adapter - Link
Cables Unlimited - LinkConfirmed "Oh Crap I Bought the Wrong Adapter"

Dynex Adapter - Link (http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-197-13-dynex-16-usb-pdaserial-adapter-cable.aspx)

goofygrin
07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
^ I think that's a valid point. I haven't tested mine with anything but 32 bit.

List updated, thanks guys. Goofy, do you know which version of Belkin you have?

It looks like this one: F5U409-CU

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459431

I bought it at frys a while back, so the packaging is long gone... and it's buried in my dash, so pulling it to get the model number is a PITA.

xPRimNT
07-13-2009, 06:14 PM
No worries, don't go digging in your dash! That confirmation is good enough for me.

Thanks again.

newcomer81
07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
cheap-o ebay one worked like a charm at $3.50 shipped!
:thumbup:

edit: vista 32

lwevert
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
damn you guys must be lucky, the following didn't work for me
Gigawire form radio shack
Belkin from AAFES
Cheap-o ebay from the link above
Dynex from Best buy

The keyspan will be in tomorrow, if it doesn't work I'm punching my computer in the face and myself in the bawls.

xPRimNT
07-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Drivers installed properly?

You haven't had much luck!

DVDee
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
damn you guys must be lucky, the following didn't work for me
Gigawire form radio shack
Belkin from AAFES
Cheap-o ebay from the link above
Dynex from Best buy

The keyspan will be in tomorrow, if it doesn't work I'm punching my computer in the face and myself in the bawls.

lol @ ^, you'll get it right man. Anyway excellent thread may want to update the first post with all the findings instead of digging through the whole thing to see what works.

xPRimNT
07-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, I'll update the first post. I was hoping for a couple more adapters first, but whatever!

flagg77
07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
Great thread xPRimNT. Your right, this will help folks down the road.

:thumbup:

lwevert
07-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Sorry for the late update. The keyspan worked like a champ. Installed the driver and voila it worked with no problems.

xPRimNT
07-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Beauty.

Glad to hear! Log away!!!

DVDee
08-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Just a heads up guys it looks like newegg has the keyspan adapter for $1 less. These guys are also extremely fast with shipping, this is where I get all my computer parts.

xPRimNT
08-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

I've been having some problems with my cheap-o eBay one with the latest beta of EvoScan. I haven't figured out the exact problem, but I should have some time this week to see if it is the adapter causing issues. Though, I just found out a much cooler, more sauve method of AFR logging in EvoScan, so I'll probably just go that route if it causes any more issues. If you have disabled your rear O2 sensor, you can hook the analog output from your WB to the yellow wire of the harness for the O2 sensor. Then you can read AFR from the ECU! Win!

DVDee
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Sounds like I need to be disabling my rear o2 sensor then.

xPRimNT
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Sounds like I need to be disabling my rear o2 sensor then.

:godance:

I'll have a write up when I get around to doing it.

It doesn't seem hard, just a couple pictures might help others.

flagg77
08-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Thats nifty. I have a HFC with a bung welded in and everything already hooked up so I probably won't change it, but its still a cool option.

And if i ever update my laptop and the new one doesn't have a serial port, that would make life easier than working with usb/serial adapters.

jdpepper
08-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Hello,
I just purchased EvoScan and I am unable to connect or datlog using the tactrix 2.0 cable. The same cable works fine with EcuFlash. What do I have to do to get Evoscan datalogging w/ this cable?

newcomer81
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
what happens when you try to log? do you have wideband selected? do you have a wideband? what dropdown selections did you make to log? did you enable mode23?

as you can tell you need to give more information for people to help to diagnose the problem.

jdpepper
08-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't have mode 23 enabled and I don't have a wb yet. I should still be able to see rpm's if I uncheck everything but the rpm right???

Do I need to buy a different cable? Thanks for helping this noobee

xPRimNT
08-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Just as a heads up, my adapter (eBay) did not work in beta 19 or 2.6 release. I don't know what changed, but damn it's annoying :(

Time to tear up my dash to find my analog wire. Oh well.

jdpepper
08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
I changed my power settings on my laptop from power saver to high performance and now it works :godance:

BigT
08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
My keyspan does not work. Vista 64 with evoscan 2.6b19

xPRimNT
08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
^ Did it work prior to this beta?

DVDee
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
My keyspan does not work. Vista 64 with evoscan 2.6b19

Did they provide vista 64 drivers for it?

BigT
08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
I just bought the wideband and my labtop is a month old so I had b19 prior to the purchase. My keyspan adapter is a few years old, however. I used to use it for DSMlink on an older labtop with windows XP.

I found a driver online. I'll check again now that I downloaded the right one.

verkion
08-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Quick comment...might be more helpful to know which USB <-> Serial comm chip the cable is using. Prolink makes one that is used in a bunch of cables...and I'm not yet sure that it works :-P Still more testing required.

Seems like a lot of you are getting the "it works for a bit and then gets stuck at a number" which is exactly what SEEMED to happen...I just assumed it was the drivers on my laptop, not the particular cable.

Anyone trying lowering the baud rate etc. just to test?

Thanks!
verkion

xPRimNT
08-18-2009, 11:21 PM
That's a good observation, and the actual components would make the difference, rather than the brand. However, I didn't want to start a thread that would confuse people :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the baud rate, settings, etc. It's actually the EvoScan software. Every other program (HyperTerminal on Windows, Serial connections in Terminal on my Mac, etc) reads the outputs just fine. Unless I'm missing something in EvoScan that allows us to change the options to make it work, I'm at a loss.

To make it more confusing, my adapter worked perfectly up until the last beta and the full version release. It was working, then something changed and it's not. :thumbsdown:

newcomer81
08-18-2009, 11:40 PM
This is unfortanate for ya'll I grabbed the $3 cheapo one off of eBay and have not had a single issue from beta 16+ to the last full release under vista 32 home edition. O am using an AEM wideband

xPRimNT
08-18-2009, 11:43 PM
^Hmm....

The same eBay link I provided?

What drivers are you using if I might ask?

verkion
08-20-2009, 03:37 AM
xPRimNT...the cables all work in Hyperterm? And its just something about EVOScan? That IS interesting...hrm. I'm guessing Hamish knows about it already right?

verkion

xPRimNT
08-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Yep.

Hamish apparently just received an AEM UEGO and will be testing stuff. Hopefully he comes up with something!

stokEd
08-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

I've been having some problems with my cheap-o eBay one with the latest beta of EvoScan. I haven't figured out the exact problem, but I should have some time this week to see if it is the adapter causing issues. Though, I just found out a much cooler, more sauve method of AFR logging in EvoScan, so I'll probably just go that route if it causes any more issues. If you have disabled your rear O2 sensor, you can hook the analog output from your WB to the yellow wire of the harness for the O2 sensor. Then you can read AFR from the ECU! Win!

Here's the thread:Logging Wideband AFR via Rear O2 ECU Input (http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-management-tuning-forums/438804-logging-wideband-afr-via-rear-o2-ecu-adc-input.html)

The more people that give this a try the better. :thumbup:

I still need to get my WB bung installed. I went to my local shop three days in a row and twice they were closed during business hours, and on the third visit the welder wasn't there. I'm really excited to see someone with this working (even if it isn't me.)

3... 2... 1... do eeet!

Yep.

Hamish apparently just received an AEM UEGO and will be testing stuff. Hopefully he comes up with something!

This is good news, I've seen a lot of people (Evo 7-10) having problems v2.6 and the AEM UEGO.

verkion
08-21-2009, 06:54 AM
SLIGHT issue with the Logging WB AFR via Rear O2 ECU Input. The Rear O2 disable (P-bit setting) does NOT, I repeat, does NOT work for everyone...so before you do all the work splicing into the cable etc., check to see if the rear o2 disable actually works for you.

verkion

xPRimNT
08-21-2009, 02:53 PM
SLIGHT issue with the Logging WB AFR via Rear O2 ECU Input. The Rear O2 disable (P-bit setting) does NOT, I repeat, does NOT work for everyone...so before you do all the work splicing into the cable etc., check to see if the rear o2 disable actually works for you.

verkion

The Pbit setting does disable the rear O2. What it doesn't do is necessarily avoid a check engine light. I've had mine disabled for some time, in the preparation of doing this mod, but I still get a Rear O2 related CEL. Next week I'll be tearing up my dash again, so I'll finally be able to reach that stupid analog out from my gauge. I'll have it (hopefully) working and will have a bit of a write up on it.

verkion
08-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah...I should have been more specific regarding the CEL. LOL! Thx for the correction xPRimNT!

verkion

newcomer81
08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
^Hmm....

The same eBay link I provided?

What drivers are you using if I might ask?
sorry for the very delayed response, but yes the cheap-o one you linked is the one i am using. I googled the drivers so i can't recall where i got them from but here is the info from the inf file

; CH341SER.INF
; Driver for CH341 (USB=>SERIAL chip) V3.1
; WDM&VXD for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/Server2003/Vista/64bit XP/64bit Vista
; Copyright (C) W.ch 2001-2009

Kooldino
03-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I have this one here:
http://www.cooldrives.com/usbtose9dbrs.html

Using these USB-to-Serial_Vista_Drivers.zip drivers for 32 bit vista:

http://www.adaptivedisplays.com/Downloads/questions.php?questionid=1

When I attempt to log in evoscan, it logs a bunch of zeros. :(

I have it set to COM 6 and AEM UEGO. If I change the COM port, EvoScan 2.7 displays an error message at the bottom.

Clipse3GT
03-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Do you use 32 bit or 64 bit windows dino?

Golden
03-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I use an AEM UEGO with ATR. ATR doesn't log an AEM wb. So I wrote a program that logs the wb to a file with a time stamp, then I can merge ATR log with the wb log. It's real simple and works great. I could modify it to work with EvoScan, if it would help. :D

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx108/EvoX_2010/Misc/datalogger.jpg

Kooldino
03-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Do you use 32 bit or 64 bit windows dino?

As stated above, 32 bit vista.

Kooldino
03-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Well, it looks like if I use a terminal emulator to read the serial data, it works. When I use EvoScan 2.7 Beta 5 to read it, I get zeros in the wideband field. So the serial port and the USB to Serial are working, however something in EvoScan is not.

I selected COM6 (the correct port), I set it to the AEM UEGO for the Wideband (which is what I have), and I have the External WBO2 checked for logging. What gives?

Clipse3GT
03-15-2010, 03:18 AM
I know that prolific drivers work with my DYNEX serial to usb.

Just pick up a serial to usb that works with evoscan.

Kooldino
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I just don't understand why the one i have works with a terminal program but not with evoscan.

I have a dynex on order, so should i use the same drivers then?

Rogue
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I have like 3 at home now if you want

xPRimNT
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
For whatever reason, EvoScan is picky (which was the reason for starting the thread in the first place).

Drivers play a big role it seems.

newcomer81
03-15-2010, 08:59 PM
i had to toss win7 into some developer/test mode to get my cheap-o ebay drivers to work. i am just going to do the rear02 sensor mod and be done with it. that way a/f can be logged via tactrix stand alone in addition to evoscan. the cheap-o ebay adapter would cost more to ship than i origianlly bought it for so reselling isn't even worth it.

Kooldino
03-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I have like 3 at home now if you want

3 Dynex? You have good luck w/ them?

If i don't have mine soon, I may take you up on that.

xPRimNT
03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes, the Rear O2 sensor mod was definitely the way to go, I definitely would do it again.

Plus, it's free!

weebles
03-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Hope mine works ;\

It's a cheap-o nexxtech.... Guess I'll find out tonight.

xPRimNT
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Hope mine works ;

It's a cheap-o nexxtech.... Guess I'll find out tonight.

Pssh, you have an LC-1. If EvoScan doesn't work, just get your stuff set up for Standalone logging.

Kooldino
03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes, the Rear O2 sensor mod was definitely the way to go, I definitely would do it again.

Plus, it's free!

But I don't want a CEL for my rear O2. :(

xPRimNT
03-15-2010, 11:55 PM
;)

We have a disable for that. CEL free dash!

Rogue
03-15-2010, 11:58 PM
But I don't want a CEL for my rear O2. :(

i dont have a cell

Rogue
03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
3 Dynex? You have good luck w/ them?

If i don't have mine soon, I may take you up on that.

I have two prolific ones and one that only works with 32 bit OS

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 01:34 AM
I just got my Dynex in today and gave it a whirl. Using the same drivers as the last one, it did the exact same thing in EvoScan...just shat out a bunch of zeros. :-(

Which driver should I be running?

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I just got my Dynex in today and gave it a whirl. Using the same drivers as the last one, it did the exact same thing in EvoScan...just shat out a bunch of zeros. :-(

Give me sec... I will look for my drivers.

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 01:56 AM

EMAIL SENT

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 02:04 AM

EMAIL SENT

<3

BRB.

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 03:08 AM
What the crap. It's still doing the same thing. All zeros in EvoScan, and works fine in hyperterminal.

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Something interesting I've noticed. If I purposely select the wrong COM port, it will give me the same results (a bunch of zeros in the Wideband column). It seems as if the issue is that the software is not effectively communicating with that port even though it is the correct one.

stokEd
03-16-2010, 03:21 AM
A little off the current topic, but has anyone tried this out:

Here's another way of going about the Serial to USB conversion that bypasses having to use a serial cable adapter at all:

Another USB Option, that's even easier to use (http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S23-USB-INT-ASSM.html)

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S23-USB-INT-ASSM.jpg

1) Cut off the female section of the 4-pin extension cable (leave the male section of the connector alone - it plugs into the the dongle).
2) Connect the GREEN WIRE from the cable -> BLUE wire on the AEM GAUGE.
3) Connect the BLACK WIRE from the cable and TAP onto the BLACK wire from the AEM GAUGE (or just hook it up to the chassis).
4) Heat Shrink tube the electronics..

Note the ORIENTATION of the cable when plugging it into the dongle

http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S22-USB-SERIAL-INT-CONNd.jpg

If you follow this picture and positioned the dongle sideways, the black wire should be on top and the yellow on the bottom.

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Something interesting I've noticed. If I purposely select the wrong COM port, it will give me the same results (a bunch of zeros in the Wideband column). It seems as if the issue is that the software is not effectively communicating with that port even though it is the correct one.

Umm... Okay do this. Open up EVOSCAN.

Select AEM UEGO.

Then look at what ports are available.

Then while EVOscan is open.

Connect the USB to Serial connector.

Open up the port selector in evoscan.

Check if a port is added to previous list, if so connect to that port.

You also may have to go to device manager, select your usb to serial device (has to be connected to pc) then go to select default port. Select one it is connected to it as primary port for that device.

Golden
03-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Kooldino, I sent you an email to your hotmail account with a program attached that I use to log AFR. It should help you till you are able to get the serial port fixed.

weebles
03-16-2010, 04:45 AM
My LC-1 worked perfect when logging under normal mode, but as soon as I use mode 23 it doesn't log right. If I choose external wideband it just reads 0's and if I choose LC-1 AFR it logs weird numbers.. like all 10.0 or 10.586 ?? Anyone know why? I'm a newb with evoscan :(

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Umm... Okay do this. Open up EVOSCAN.

Select AEM UEGO.

Then look at what ports are available.

Then while EVOscan is open.

Connect the USB to Serial connector.

Open up the port selector in evoscan.

Check if a port is added to previous list, if so connect to that port.

You also may have to go to device manager, select your usb to serial device (has to be connected to pc) then go to select default port. Select one it is connected to it as primary port for that device.

I've done that 9000 times. It comes up as COM6 by default. I select COM6 in the software. It logs zeros.

Meanwhile I go to a terminal program and enter COM6 @ 9600 baud and I get readings that match my gauge. Mind you that if I select any speed other than 9600 baud, the terminal program shows random ascii chars.

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 05:21 AM
What model Dynex do you use?

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
I use

http://photos.dolphin-development.com/images/A_4/8/0/5/35084/eoylegzy.jpg

Dynex DX-UBDB9

With the prolific drivers I sent you on my POS Dell 1501 Inspiron toplap.

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 05:32 AM
I have this one:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/8/7/8/4/0/webimg/263132105_tp.jpg

http://www.icraveit.com/mas_assets/full/10004494-22.jpg

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 05:42 AM
I have this one:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/8/7/8/4/0/webimg/263132105_tp.jpg

http://www.icraveit.com/mas_assets/full/10004494-22.jpg

What model is that?

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 06:03 AM
What model is that?

I didn't notice any markings on the cable that indicated a model number, but i'll check again tomorrow.

I also can't find it on their website.

However, here's one on ebay, not that it lists a model number either:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170415165525#ht_5335wt_1167

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 06:06 AM
I didn't notice any markings on the cable that indicated a model number, but i'll check again tomorrow.

I also can't find it on their website.

However, here's one on ebay, not that it lists a model number either:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170415165525#ht_5335wt_1167

The one I have I know has a Prolific chipset in it...

They used to sell at bestbuy and sell cheap on Amazon.

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure what mine is, but it works to a degree with the same drivers you run.

Looks like these drivers might be a tad newer...

http://www.prolific.com.tw/Eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Kooldino
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
:bump:

Clipse3GT
03-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I am sure your USB to serial is incompatible with Evoscan. Just buy one we listed that works. Best solution.

Rogue
03-16-2010, 11:39 PM
send me your address... ill send you one.

xPRimNT
03-16-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been talking to weebles, who is going through something similar.

Dino, does it log properly if you DONT use Mode23? Just log external wb and rpm or something.

Kooldino
03-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I've been talking to weebles, who is going through something similar.

Dino, does it log properly if you DONT use Mode23? Just log external wb and rpm or something.

I tried that and it still logs big fat zeros.

mantella
03-20-2010, 07:30 AM
The cable he has in dynex dx-ubdb9 and it works with windows xp pro w aem wideband and evoscan 2.7 beta5. i have a bunch of cables and have tested this one, a belkin 1 and a ebay one and all worked. I used the drivers for the dynex cable from this link. http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-197-13-dynex-16-usb-pdaserial-adapter-cable.aspx

Clipse3GT
03-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Dino,

Did you get it working yet?

Kooldino
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Ok, I got the USB>Serial adapter from Rogue in the mail today.

Plugged it in and got a yellow exclamation point over the device in Device Manger, and a "The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" driver error.

Scoured the net, found and installed yet another driver and the driver stopped fussing.

Went to log with EvoScan - no dice. Tried to connect with hyperterminal - no dice (this worked with my other adapters).

At this point, I decided to try the new drivers with my old white Dynex cable. Fired up hyperterminal - success. Fired up EvoScan - GREAT SUCCESS.

So after about a dozen hours of tinkering, four driver versions, and three cables, I finally have a combination that works. Thank you, baby Jesus.

If anyone else is having connectivity troubles, attached is the driver that works for me on my Vista machine.

weebles
04-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Ok, I got the USB>Serial adapter from Rogue in the mail today.

Plugged it in and got a yellow exclamation point over the device in Device Manger, and a "The Device Cannot Start (Code 10)" driver error.

Scoured the net, found and installed yet another driver and the driver stopped fussing.

Went to log with EvoScan - no dice. Tried to connect with hyperterminal - no dice (this worked with my other adapters).

At this point, I decided to try the new drivers with my old white Dynex cable. Fired up hyperterminal - success. Fired up EvoScan - GREAT SUCCESS.

So after about a dozen hours of tinkering, four driver versions, and three cables, I finally have a combination that works. Thank you, baby Jesus.

If anyone else is having connectivity troubles, attached is the driver that works for me on my Vista machine.

It will probably stop working after a day or two like mine did lol...

Why didn't you just use the standalone logger?

Kooldino
04-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't jinx me!

I didn't want to have to play with two programs, and I honestly just wanted to make this work.

Storm_trooper
04-27-2010, 12:05 AM
My LC-1 worked perfect when logging under normal mode, but as soon as I use mode 23 it doesn't log right. If I choose external wideband it just reads 0's and if I choose LC-1 AFR it logs weird numbers.. like all 10.0 or 10.586 ?? Anyone know why? I'm a newb with evoscan :(

this is what just happened to me. i didnt have a bunch of time to mess around with it tho.

suggestions?

weebles
04-27-2010, 02:10 AM
this is what just happened to me. i didnt have a bunch of time to mess around with it tho.

suggestions?

Use the standalone logger.

KickAss
04-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Got one for you.

Sabrent FTDI based USB serial cable

http://www.milltechmarine.com/Sabrent-USB-to-Serial-Adapter--FTDI-Edition_p_163.html

Confirmed working on PC and EvoScan GPS Nav.

PS: The dynex I have does work on the PC with evoscan, I could not get it to work on the GPS Nav since its a prolific chip based solution and GPSNav only has the FTDI drivers for serial communication.

m7mad.a
12-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I am using Windows 7 64-Bit. I just got my Keyspan Serial>USB Adapter. However when in EVOScan 2.8 I still cant read AFR. The drivers were automatically downloaded by Microsoft since these are assigned drivers. In EVOScan I'm still getting an x next to external wideband although I have chose AEM UEGO and changed the port number to the correct one. What should I do?

m7mad.a
12-24-2010, 12:58 PM
I am using Windows 7 64-Bit. I just got my Keyspan Serial>USB Adapter. However when in EVOScan 2.8 I still cant read AFR. The drivers were automatically downloaded by Microsoft since these are assigned drivers. In EVOScan I'm still getting an x next to external wideband although I have chose AEM UEGO and changed the port number to the correct one. What should I do?

any help?
Should I have mode23 to enable AFR Logging?

Clipse3GT
12-24-2010, 02:34 PM
any help?
Should I have mode23 to enable AFR Logging?

Nothing will log properly without Mode23.

thatoneguy
12-25-2010, 03:44 AM
I just started and I hooked up my aem serial output today. I have a trendnet serial to usb cable. I installed the correct driver for it. I log in Mode 23, make sure the external A/F is checked. The on the Wideband tab on the Menu Bar, next to Video & GPS and make sure you have the correct COM port selected. Go to your Device Manager and see what your computer recognizes the USB port as. Then go to Select Wideband Serial Comport and select the correct one. It should work after that.

m7mad.a
12-30-2010, 05:21 AM
I have used mode23 and used the right comport and everything. Still AFR shows 0 but all other parameters are ok.

hmmmm

SiliconTek
12-30-2010, 05:56 AM
USRobotics USR5700 works great with my setup.

thatoneguy
12-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I have used mode23 and used the right comport and everything. Still AFR shows 0 but all other parameters are ok.

hmmmm

Do you have the correct drivers for your cable?

I had to install new windows .net framework. When you have your device manager, does the USB adapter show up under ports?

m7mad.a
12-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Do you have the correct drivers for your cable?

I had to install new windows .net framework. When you have your device manager, does the USB adapter show up under ports?

Yep, it's the Keyspan serial to usb adapter and I installed the correct drivers for Windows 7 from their website.
When I start logging with Evoscan, the serial to usb adapter signal changes from Idle to busy indicating that it is working but nothing then appears in EVOScan next to external wideband except a small x with no values.

In Device manager under ports; the keyspan serial to usb adapter shows at (COM3), this is the same port I use in evoscan.

laksman91
01-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Think something like this could work:
http://www3.shopping.com/IOGear-SERIAL-ADAPTER-W-BLUETOOTH/info
IOGear GBS301 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter (Serial to Bluethtooth adapter)

xbox4414
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
It may but why do you need that? My serial hides behind the glovebox, just plug my USB in and done. Do you really need BT?

evoscan
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Any USB to serial adapter that supports Microsoft Virtual COM Ports will work. which pretty much is ALL of them. know of any that don't work? Are you sure you installed the Dynex one correctly? wouldn't surprise me if it actually does work.

evoscan
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM
You also might want to make a point on the first post, that these are for Windows PC, and also some may or may not come with working Windows7 drivers.

For EvoScan GPS Navigator, the only wideband logging serial to usb adapters that will work are the FTDI chipset based ones. because FTDI is the only USB to serial company that has released WindowsCE drivers.

SiliconTek
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
USRobotics USR5700 works great with my setup.

Works with all flavors of Windows including Windows 7 - x86 and x64.

Kooldino
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Note: Realterm is the name of the application I used for testing and diag purposes.

doibugu2
03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Has anyone figured out why one cable works and other's don't? Seems the ones that are working now are the more expensive cables.

Also, are most people soldering the wires right to the end of serial cable posts or are they buying a 2nd cable and cutting it up? Just trying to do this once and right the first time.

rob@kaizen
03-21-2011, 07:28 PM
It's a driver related issue. You need a specific driver for your USB to serial adapter. My buddies eBay cable required a different driver than the QVC one
I bought at a local computer shop. Buy a cable that comes with the driver.
I soldered my setup. RS232 jacks and casings are about 2 buck each. If you cut a cable you would have to figure out which wire corresponding to each pin. That seems like a PITA to me. You only need 2 pins and wires seems way simpler just to make it to me.

doibugu2
03-21-2011, 07:53 PM
I bought one of these and it didn't work. I figured it was worth a shot since it was setup for the TX/RX type connections.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120632799950

LVSBB6
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Bought the Keyspan today, hopefully it will work!

Golden
03-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it's a driver issue. They have to be compatible with the drivers pre-loaded on the Windows CE that comes in the Nav.

doibugu2
03-24-2011, 03:25 AM
bought the keyspan from amazon today. Got a lot of stuff to install in the next week or so. Getting closer to e-85

laksman91
05-18-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm on my second one and it doesnt work. Does anyone know if the Keyspan one is still good?

Edit: I'm was trying an nGear Serial -> USB it uses the VTDI chipset and drivers.

I'm getting 0s in Evoscan with the correct COMport selected, and UEGO checked off in the menu.

Am I doing this part right atleast?

http://cl.ly/2t0g162B050t0f153s3i/2011-05-18_at_02_23.png

Clipse3GT
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Dynex DX-UBDB9

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:*&q=dynex+dx-ubdb9&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16866497913887631387&sa=X&ei=XHfTTc-tO43AgQfl7Ywu&ved=0CCMQ8wIwAQ&biw=1004&bih=638#

You need the latest drivers from Prolific they work great for this adapter. If not I have them somewhere on my HD.

doibugu2
05-18-2011, 03:02 PM
I bought the keyspan about a month ago and it has been working fine.

Cut the end off the serial cable and solder the wires directly to the cables. That way you don't have to have that bulky end hanging around. I view that as a possible fail point.

You just need a multimeter to figure out the right wires after you cut it off.

oftheheavens
05-18-2011, 07:16 PM
i used a staples brand and it works great.

laksman91
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
I bought the Dynex one Clipse linked and it didnt work. I used the prolific drivers too. Is there another problem that I might be over looking? I selected the right COM ports. Tried switching USB ports too...

oftheheavens
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
did you do a good solder job?

laksman91
05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I think so :/

oftheheavens
05-18-2011, 08:44 PM
if you are on AEM, it is blue wire to pin #2 and ground to #5. if you did this right, make sure your ground is good.

chetrickerman
09-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Ok, so I'm using this cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/270727912740?ssPageName=STRK:null:IT

And I tried the driver off of the cheapo ebay cable listed on the first page, and it only does 0's.

Then I tried a driver off of prolific's web page, and it would do the first number, and that's it.

I'm running windows XP.

I will try the driver from dino in post 89

nyc 93-2jzgte
09-22-2011, 03:02 PM
^^ if that fails, try the KEYSPAN serial to USB adapter, which is known to work fine. I had problems with my cheapo Ebay adapters as well until I picked up the KEYSPAN from Amazon.

chetrickerman
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
yea, but who wants to spend $25 on a usb to serial adapter?

I also tried the driver that dino posted in post 89 and it gave me 14.9, then 0's.

I emailed golden about the program he wrote. I will see if that works

chetrickerman
09-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Just for confirmation, The Dynex DX-UBDB9 cable works perfect with evoscan 2.8

EvolutionX
10-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Just for confirmation, The Dynex DX-UBDB9 cable works perfect with evoscan 2.8

great! ordered one with a 6' extension from amazon for $13 shipped.

chetrickerman
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM
great! ordered one with a 6' extension from amazon for $13 shipped.

Good. Just make sure it comes with the drivers. If not, send me a PM with your email and I will send you it

total0wnage
10-10-2011, 09:26 PM
i havent read through the whole thread but which serial to usb adapter should i buy for windows 7 64bit? i soldered the pins for the serial today so its ready to go just need to order converter

evoscan
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
buy an FTDI based serial adapter.
also now supported are USB DLP-IO8 8 channel digital to analog inputs.

total0wnage
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
buy an FTDI based serial adapter.
also now supported are USB DLP-IO8 8 channel digital to analog inputs.

can u give me a link to this adapter? i google'd it and could only find European ones.

doibugu2
10-11-2011, 04:54 PM
can u give me a link to this adapter? i google'd it and could only find European ones.

The one that seems to have the least issues is the keyspan. It's around $30 http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports-Sequence/dp/B0000VYJRY

You can go the ebay route and save a few bucks, but you increase the odds of it not working. The drivers with some of the ebay ones tend to be a bit more finacky.

I have the keyspan and it worked first try.

chetrickerman
10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
The dynex works great also, and is only $5

total0wnage
10-12-2011, 02:17 AM
The dynex works great also, and is only $5

http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-UBDB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000HJDG6E

is this the dynex one ur talking about? the link in first post is bad. if this the one you have that works ill order this, it will only cost me 9$ so its not too big of a deal if it doesnt work

chetrickerman
10-12-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-UBDB9-Serial-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000HJDG6E

is this the dynex one ur talking about? the link in first post is bad. if this the one you have that works ill order this, it will only cost me 9$ so its not too big of a deal if it doesnt work

That's the one

total0wnage
10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Firs page says dynex doesn't work..?

chetrickerman
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
the Dynex DX-UBDB9 works just fine for me and Clipse3GT

total0wnage
10-12-2011, 11:08 PM
ok i will order tonight, just wanted to make sure. what OS 32,64 bit are u using?

chetrickerman
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
XP, 32 bit

total0wnage
10-13-2011, 02:09 AM
K, I'm on win 7 64 bit, hope it works

total0wnage
10-20-2011, 12:24 AM
ok just got my dynex dx-ubdb9 and it works flawlessly on my Win 7 64bit laptop, and it only cost $10.

chetrickerman
10-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Good deal

Inprogress
06-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Nevermind, found the link.

Sequence
05-30-2013, 07:08 PM
just ordered a dynex as well

mufasa
09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
I got my PLX gauge to read but its about 2.2 lower than what the actual gauge says. Anybody got any ideas?

Kooldino
09-15-2013, 05:31 PM
I get these ones branded as "plugable" from amazon.com

ripnet
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I have 2 of the IOGEAR GUC232A, they work flawlessly. I also use them at much higher datarates than we do without issue.

I got my PLX gauge to read but its about 2.2 lower than what the actual gauge says. Anybody got any ideas?

How are you reading the PLX? Using the serial or the Rear O2 wire?