: RF 9 speaker system blowing amp fuse

fswaney
02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey guys, I got stuck in the blizzard of 2010 here in pittsburgh a few days back, and my audio went out---head unit is fine, but it keeps blowing the 30A amplifier fuse under the hood... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.evolutionm.net/get/images/smilies/help.gif anyone have a diagram, or any idea where to look for the short?

thanks in advance.

AMI CUSTOMS
02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, I got stuck in the blizzard of 2010 here in pittsburgh a few days back, and my audio went out---head unit is fine, but it keeps blowing the 30A amplifier fuse under the hood... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.evolutionm.net/get/images/smilies/help.gif anyone have a diagram, or any idea where to look for the short?

thanks in advance.

All of the wiring for the RF system is inside the car and then bundled together thru the main harness that goes thru the firewall. I would check the wiring under the drivers seat, that is where your RF amp is located, you should see a few heavy gauge cables plugged into it and check them out, then they also run from under the hood all the way back to the battery, there is a connector on the rear left fender behind the rear seat that the main battery cables plug into a junction connector. This is all a long shot, right off if your amp is blowing fuses like that, it is generally the amp has an internal short. I would take it to the dealer OR....time for an upgrade. :D

fswaney
02-14-2010, 06:53 AM
yeah, i took a cursory look/feel of my harnesses, connections where they come up through the floor and into the amp---everything seems fine... maybe snow/water got to the amp... i will go over the wiring better tomorrow in the daylight...

... i used to have a little 400w punch with a couple mtx superblues (this was like 99 or so, got the system off a friend cheap) that i was running a kenwood head unit through... and that murdered the mitsu's sound system... i had an 04 elantra prior with the premium sound package, that also outdid the mitsu RF system...

anyway---any amp suggestions---that would be compatible with all my current speakers?

i don't wanna drop a ton of cash... i bought my lancer in feb 08, and it already has 83,000 mi, so thebumper to bumper is gone... and i doubt i'd be covered by any residual RF warranty--- right now it blows... i'm in my whip a ton, and have no sound system at all...

assuming it's fried... can the amp be bypassed short term? I know how to wire... just not a big car audio guy (i'm comfortable with doing the work, just not that knowledgeable when it comes to specific equipment...) ---any help would be greatly appreciated... i can offer free legal advice in return :)

AMI CUSTOMS
02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Can it be bypassed? Yes, there is a few ways to do it on the cheap, you will have to source some cheapy crossovers if you plan on running the stock speakers, this I would not advise but can be done, add that in with a cheap 200 dollar head unit and done. You will lose the sub however with this setup. I would suggest just replacing the RF amp with a 5 channel amp and a good head unit. That is the best cheap way if the amp is the problem.

As far as amps and equipment are concerned I only recommend stuff that I would use in my personal vehicle. I run JL audio and kenwood excelon headunit. There is other audio out there that is just as good, but my level of satisfaction has always came from JL audio, never been disappointed.

sparcomx
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Buy a used amp.. there are few people on here that have removed the factory amp :)