: transmission service light

achinaghost52
05-16-2011, 03:05 AM
there is a transmission service light that comes on everytime i drive the car. When this happens i lose my three different diff modes.
the problem occurred after i did a clutch swap on my own. I mistakenly put the wrong fluid into the center diff. a used the gear oil instead of atf. i quickly realized my mistake and drained the center and rear diffs and put in the correct fluid.
the light comes on after i drive my car for a hundred yards or so. sometimes i can get a 1/4 mile, sometimes not even out of my driveway. also, if i start the car up and let it warm up, then rev the engine some (as in showing my friends a new mod or something) the lights pop on. it goes away if i restart the car. but comes back when i start driving again.

I am planning on draining the diffs again because there might be some residual gear oil. i thought it could be a wheel speed sensor for a while, but the abs light would also come on. so i know it is just transmission related. any help you guys can offer is great. i am over 36k so the dealer wants to charge me to look at the car

Dblade
05-16-2011, 03:07 AM
You should try pulling the codes.

irmerm
05-16-2011, 03:55 AM
did you leave off a wheel speed sensor?

achinaghost52
05-16-2011, 04:09 AM
ive tried pulling the codes with a scanner from autozone/o'reillys. there arent any. if it was a wheel speed sensor the abs wouldnt work and its warning light would be on too right?

razorlab
05-16-2011, 04:14 AM
You don't put ATF in the front (transfer case) and rear diffs. You put gear oil in. Diaqueen LSD Fluid - 3775610

For the ACD and AYC pumps you use Diamond ATF SP III - ACH1ZC1X05

I'm surprised you haven't ruined the diffs yet.

Here is a handy list you can reference:

5 SPEED
- Gear Oil API classification GL-4 SEA 75W-85 or 75W-90
- Diaqueen M/T Fluid - MZ313376 (1gal)

Transfer Case
- Mitsubishi Limited Slip Differential Oil (LSD) or equivalent
- Diaqueen LSD Fluid - 3775610 (1 gal)

ACD Operating Fluid
- Diamond ATF SP III - ACH1ZC1X05 (1 qt)

Rear Differential
- Mitsubishi Limited Slip Differential Oil (LSD) or equivalent
- Diaqueen LSD Fluid - 3775610 (1 gal)

Mitsubishi Coolant
- MZ311986 (1 gal)

Mitsubishi Brake Fluid
- DOT 3
- MZ311987 (354 ml)

Mitsubishi Power Steering Fluid
- ACH1ZC1X04 (12 oz)

http://www.nissanparts.cc/catalog/nissan/XFluidSpec.jpg

achinaghost52
05-16-2011, 04:22 AM
thanks. i realized that i wasnt supposed to put gear oil in. i drained the center diff and rear diff's atf circuits and refilled with the proper fluid. i still have the problem and that is why i am posting it up. restating that i did something wrong and possibly hurt/ruined the diffs is not actually helping with anything. the diff obviously isnt ruined because i have driven the car almost 5k miles since and have confirmed that all four wheels spin

achinaghost52
05-16-2011, 04:22 AM
thanks for the list though

razorlab
05-16-2011, 04:26 AM
thanks. i realized that i wasnt supposed to put gear oil in. i drained the center diff and rear diff's atf circuits and refilled with the proper fluid. i still have the problem and that is why i am posting it up.

If you put ATF in the rear diff and front diff, you used the wrong fluid.

Are you talking about the actual diffs or the plastic reservoirs for the ACD and AYC? If you are talking about those, you actually need to bleed those systems as well.

restating that i did something wrong and possibly hurt/ruined the diffs is not actually helping with anything. the diff obviously isnt ruined because i have driven the car almost 5k miles since and have confirmed that all four wheels spin

Ok, have fun figuring it out.

dboz
05-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Sometimes with DIY jobs, it ends up costing you more than you saved DIY due to lack of knowledge/mistakes. Hope it works out. Just saying, it's too late now though. Always double/triple check everything before proceeding.

Just because the wheels are moving does not mean damage was not done or is still being done.

Time to shoot an email to SHEP or someone in the know as to what damage you may have done.

Yxd68
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
As stated above, verify all the wheel sensors are connected and working.

1/4 mile is too short a distance to have any effect form the wrong fluids.

Deepseadiver
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Did you get this figured out. I replaced my own clutch and am having the same problems you are describing. going to get the alignment done next, then I will have the codes pulled if I can't figure what's up.