: Test Pipe help

gstv
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
I want to know what's the difference between a catted test pipe and a resonated test pipe are both legal in California? Meaning when it's time for my smog check will I pass if I have either of these test pipes
I still debating which one to get from AMS.

And does anyone know how much hp gain you get from Cobb catted test pipe?

Yxd68
05-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Both are illegal everywhere (everywhere == the 48 states).

And there are penalties in California.

NotAnEvoOwner
05-15-2012, 06:22 PM
You have high flow cats, resonated test pipe and normal test pipes.

Hi flow cats have less cell and are not as restricted - still illegal in CA.

Resonated test pipes are quieter that normal test pipes- really illegal in CA.

Test pipes are just a straight through metal pipe for maximum flow - really illegal in CA.

Pretty much if you touch the cat your making it illegal. Everyone still does it however, do it at your own discretion.

Marq
05-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Catted test pipe? Its either a test pipe (just a wide open pipe with no restrictions), a high flow cat (slight restriction, does some filtering of exhaust gases), or a resonated test pipe (resonator is in there to muffle some sound, not filter exhaust gases).

High Flow cat is fine. I tested with a 3" Magnaflow high flow cat and passed easily. I live near San Fran too. It also doesn't give that strong fuel smell around the car as with a test pipe.

Marq
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
NotAnEvoOwner..beat me to it. lol

gstv
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
But can I still pass smog test with a resonated or a catted test pipe ?
That's my only issue I don't want to take it off and put it back on every time I have to get smog test since I don't do my own work I'm goin to be paying every time.

Marq
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I did that with my GSX. Swapping out the stock cat for the test pipe is really easy and you only have to do it once every 2 years...small price to pay for more power.

NotAnEvoOwner
05-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I did that with my GSX. Swapping out the stock cat for the test pipe is really easy and you only have to do it once every 2 years...small price to pay for more power.

+1

Also the only way you will pass is with the stock cat and possibly high flow cat. A Resonated test pipe is only used to quiet the exhaust. You will fail if you smog your car.

gstv
05-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Dammm I won't even pass with a catted test pipe

Ttsumibishi
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
F California! lol

wicked_evo11
05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
First of all a catted test pipe isnt a test pipe. catted means therea a cat. its an oxymoron to say ctted straight pipe lol.

There is a hiflow cat (which you refer as catted test pipe)