EvoScan 2.9

Tags
2.9 evoscan
55K views 226 replies 50 participants last post by  lanasa1980 
#1 ·
Installed EvoScan 2.9 today.

Pros:
-Better interface
-Can clear out your fuel trims for you (no more manually resetting the battery!!!)
-Has more data items to log

Cons:
-Seems to be kind of a pain about changing the logging directory (sometimes it defaults back - this may be an admin rights issue)
-Seems to log much slower than the previous version

Anyone else have experience with it?

#3 ·
Installed EvoScan 2.9 today.

Pros:
-Better interface
-Can clear out your fuel trims for you (no more manually resetting the battery!!!)
-Has more data items to log

Cons:
-Seems to be kind of a pain about changing the logging directory (sometimes it defaults back - this may be an admin rights issue)
-Seems to log much slower than the previous version

Anyone else have experience with it?
Been running it since it came out...

I upgraded for the .xmls, as I was having issues adding new defs to 2.8.

As far as the logging speed, I believe it has actually sped up a bit from previous versions, but if your logging to screen it will appear to log slowly. If u open up the log in excell and youll see its logging pretty quick.

The default logging directory can be changed easily.

Has new graphing features, hp/tq calcs., as well as map tracer. All seem to work well on *most* logs, but seems to be a lil bug. Some logs will show one parameter, w/ anothers MUT address. kinda weird...

Once you change the logging directory, and get used to the new interface, its pretty solid! Other than that lil issue ^

#5 ·
Been running it since it came out...

I upgraded for the .xmls, as I was having issues adding new defs to 2.8.

As far as the logging speed, I believe it has actually sped up a bit from previous versions, but if your logging to screen it will appear to log slowly. If u open up the log in excell and youll see its logging pretty quick.
Yeah, that may be the case. It's at least half the speed on the screen, but the amount of data in the logs seems normal, give or take.

The default logging directory can be changed easily.
Right, but it often doesn't "stick".

Has new graphing features, hp/tq calcs., as well as map tracer.
I saw the map tracer, but it didn't seem too straightforward. I didn't really get a chance to tinker with it, but I didn't see any obvious way of setting it up.

All seem to work well on *most* logs, but seems to be a lil bug. Some logs will show one parameter, w/ anothers MUT address. kinda weird...
I've noticed a few glitches. Like you can have a parameter checked, but it won't log it. You may have to uncheck/recheck it for it to begin logging, etc.

#7 ·
and Im sure u guys know this but if you uncheck logging to screen it will speed up a lil bit.
It will log faster to the file if it's not logging to the screen?

Also, I believe I read somewhere that if you uncheck "disable multi threading" it will speed up a lil bit also...
Some1 correct me if Im wrong ^.
I tried toggling that, but it didn't make a difference in terms of it logging to the screen.

#10 ·
I have no issues w/ this ^ either... Are u changing the "DTC Method/Ecu" to the proper settings (right above the display/clear dtc buttons)? Im sure youre aware of this, but just askin...

I have also noticed the same lil bugs kooldino has seen. It does seem that 2.8 is a bit more stable than 2.9... 2.8 was solid, so if having issues go back to 2.8. I believe I was trying to edit the .xmls from the wrong location (default directory when installed), which is why they werent coming up in the program. If you edit them in the sniper "documents" folder, they should come up in the program...

Is any1 sending Hamish any feedback on the issues seen??? Maybe once he gets some feedback, he can fix the bugs and create an update...

#8 ·
Ya had issues with it as well. All i do now is use 2.9 to clear fuel trims and back to 2.8 to log it. :)

#14 ·
I've had a lot of issues as well. I have the DTC reading issue (reads them wrong but can clear them fine). Also had the issue with evoscan 2.9 losing my settings when I exit and reopen. This is a permissions issue on the evoscan v2.9 directory in your Documents folder. I "fixed" it by giving the Everyone group full control on it. The other issue I have is with "Display selected items only" check box, sometimes when putting a check in it, it will throw an error message. And, the last issue I've had with every version of evoscan is that it I will set evoscan at fullscreen (maximized), then when I close and reopen it it will always open in a window (not maximized) slightly off the screen. It will open in that EXACT spot each time I open it no matter it's position on my screen when I last closed it.

#15 ·
I've had a lot of issues as well. I have the DTC reading issue (reads them wrong but can clear them fine). Also had the issue with evoscan 2.9 losing my settings when I exit and reopen.
I got around that by running it as admin, setting things up how I wanted, and then running it normally. *shrugs*

And, the last issue I've had with every version of evoscan is that it I will set evoscan at fullscreen (maximized), then when I close and reopen it it will always open in a window (not maximized) slightly off the screen. It will open in that EXACT spot each time I open it no matter it's position on my screen when I last closed it.
Yeah, that's always been a bugaboo of mine as well.

#16 ·
I have not converted yet.

I've had several customers use 2.9 and they had minor issues. So I don't want to change until I don't have issues. I currently have no need for an upgrade.

#17 ·
I am running both versions. They both of positives and negatives. One negative on the 2.9 as well it takes forever to load large logs and it hard to view those as a line graph vs time/rpm.

#22 ·
:wtfsign:I also had it give me a bogus code BUT it did clear it.Just dont know what it was, P00A3 ??

#23 · (Edited)
I don't reset the fuel trims. It puts the ECU in a funky state. In this funky state, it will use idle trims for cruise range or cruise trims for idle range (because it doesn't know what the trims should be yet). This funky state takes much longer for the trims to settle than just leaving the trims alone and letting the settle on their own.

And here is my example why it really doesn't matter if you reset trims. Lets say the current trims are maxed (worse case scenario) +12.0. For simplicity reasons, assume that the trims will level out at -5% after we flash the ECU. The STFT will change to -12.0 pretty dang fast and the LTFT will adjust whenever they get around to it. If your trims were at 0, the STFT would be averaging -5 and you still have to wait for the LTFT to get around to moving. Either way it takes the same amount of time to level out.

Now add in the "funky state", and you will see why I don't reset fuel trims. The Cobb AP resets fuel trims every time you flash. It drives me nuts, because I have to wait longer for those stupid trims to level. And customers don't like hearing, "you need to go drive around some more cause your trims are still 0."

Sorry for the off topic-ish post. But it is probably helpful for some.

#25 ·
I'm waiting for the live tooning / autotrim option. let it idle for 15mins, then cruise for 15 mins, and some magic algorithm fixes it all up for you and you get on with your day ;)

It probably already exists in a sense .... but I'm not sure chaining Tephra and his laptop to your passenger seat is acceptable under international law. Possibly if the driver was an incredibly hot chick he'd be ok with it ;)

#28 ·
Luckily most of my neighbors are trees, but yeah, it confuses the hell out of people.

"How many times you gonna paint that thing?".

Although last week, people were confusing fishstix's car for mine. Same color, same trunk. Loud, fast...I get it.

#29 ·
So we still waiting for this to be remedied? My virtual machine crashed a few nights ago so I tried installing this on win7 and got the same problem everyone is seeing, some weird 003A code or whatever. It was a P0300 that popped up while cruising.

Took me like 30 mins to clear as I was having so many damn issues with my laptop and virtual machines. Finally had to use a different virtual machine as for some reason v2.8 doesn't work in win7 on my computer.

I did reset my fuel trims from v2.9 when I loaded clipses MAP and my car didn't like it at all. The car couldn't idle at all. So I flashed back to my other tuners MAP, same shit. Took a long time for the car to relearn idle. So I can see where Golden is coming from, might be a good idea.

#34 ·
^
Now I just need you to fix the DTC problem on the Navi you told me you'd get finished forever ago

#46 ·
I thought you were working on the Navi DTC's forever ago, before 2.9 was even released?
Can you give me an ACCURATE time frame as to when it will be done or maybe work out some kind of refund like we were discussing in the open ticket?

#36 ·
How many DTC codes do you guys have? There is special new DTC program I added in EvoScan v2.9 to support more than 2 trouble codes at a time. EvoScan v2.8 could only display the first 2 trouble codes. the 3rd or more trouble codes are coming up with 1byte misaligned in EvoScan v2.9.0016, for some reason I was carrying the remainder byte over from each response as per OBDII specifications.. I guess Mitsubishi likes to do things a smarter way.

#37 ·
outofmemoryexception is only to do with dragging and editing, moving items around using the new Cool listview box in EvoScan v2.9. I found once you have the list all set how you want it.. close EvoScan, and re-open it. I've never seen memory issues from logging, I ran EvoScan v2.9 for 7 days non-stop. I'll do some more work on this listview. even though I already added 1000 lines of code for this new listview :) maybe another 1000 will fix it, haha.

you can't drag and drop items in the list v2.8, and a lot of people lost the background image in v2.8. v2.9 is waaay cooler.

#38 ·
I actually programmed EvoScan v2.9 by default to run with multithreading, which means the datalogging runs in the background, and if the screen can't keep up then it won't display the value.. hence its just your microsoft .net windows screen that can't keep up when you think its running slower.. but its actually running faster. you can see this by the speed counter in the top right.

If you want the EvoScan v2.8 logging behaviour in v2.9, all you do is tick "Disable multithreading" and tick "Log to screen" and then it will be exactly the same as previously.

#39 ·
I went to code the save form position when closed, but its already coded. Everyone should have write access to Documents folder, even non-administrators.. not sure how that could lose access to your own documents folder?

"C:\Users\Hamish\Documents\EvoScan v2.9\SavedSettings\EvoScan.Settings.txt"
Forms#EvoScan_Top=0
Forms#EvoScan_Left=0
Forms#EvoScan_Width=760
Forms#EvoScan_Height=570

#40 ·
for those that don't have form position saving like mine does, can you check EvoScanErrorLog.csv and see if there is any security errors logged? I don't get any errors, and I'm running a very restricted Windows7 64bit laptop PC from my work that has no admin access, and it still works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.