Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Labor for replacing a clutch?

33K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  youngj 
#1 ·
Sorry I know there have been a lot of threads on clutches, and I've spent quite a lot of time reading them, but I was wondering how many hours it would take to replace the clutch? I talked to Mitsu dealership and they said it would be about $1000 for the part and labor. They charge $95/hour so I'm guessing that's about 6 hours of labor. I talked to two other private mechanics and they said it would take 11 hours to do the job which is approx $800 excluding the part. I don't understand why Mitsubishi would be cheaper...is it possible they could do the job that much faster?

I have a completely stock Evo X, would it be worth it to get a Spec Stage II clutch....or should you only buy those if your car is modified? Although I do plan on doing some light mods next summer...

It's really surprising to me that my clutch is slipping. I have a stock car, I don't race or take to the track, I don't launch hard, and it only has 15,000 miles. It started a few months ago where the RPMs would shoot up a bit (then come down and steadily increase) in 4th and 5th gear whenever I accelerated. In the last couple weeks it has gotten exponentially worse. In 2nd-5th gear the RPMs shoot really high and then come back down to steadily increase. This coupled with the extremely loud, constant squealing whenever I'm braking is getting pretty frustrating. Both mechanics said the brake pads are only 50% worn and everything is fine. They said the particular material in our brake pads cause the squeaking sound and they've heard it in other cars too. I suppose I should get an aftermarket brake pad too? Thanks a lot in advance for the advice...

See less See more
#2 ·
i live in cali and a good reputable shop told me it would be 500 just in labor...ima get a stage 2 exedy hd...if u dont plan to mod ur car just go with a good reliably stage 1...brake pad skretching is normal! i deal with it :/

#5 ·
You'll find anywhere between 500 and 1000 bucks. Personally, my guy did it for 800 and I think that's the perfect price. I don't trust people who do it really cheap and I won't pay a grand for something I could do in a weekend but am to lazy to accomplish.

#6 ·
Stock clutch is garbage

Mitsu will not warranty it

1000 for parts and labor is not bad, but you'll have to do it more often

Definitely get an aftermarket clutch, like an exedy twin SD if finances permit

I paid 650 for the labor on my clutch swap. It took them (2 people) 8 hours to do that, my diff pin swap and the SSP CMC install.

#11 ·
I looked into the Exedy Twin SD and there's no way I can afford that. It's $2000 just for the part. I think I might go with Exedy Stage 2. It's amazing how much worse things are getting day by day. Now I'm smelling burnt clutch. Mitsubishi isn't helping at all, they want me to bring it in to diagnose the problem and then another appointment to fix it. This is my DD, I need it fixed ASAP. They also said they don't install aftermarket clutches.

Real quick though, I read on other threads that people are recommending to replace the master cylinder along with the clutch?? Again I don't know much about cars but what is the relationship here....why would one replace the master cylinder? How much would that even cost...
Thanks

#18 ·
do not go by advertised prices. I got my Exedy twin HD for less than 1400. Call MAPerformance, they're a vendor here. Shipping will be free too more than likely.

#15 ·
The Clutch Master 850 Twin is around $1400 or so from the right vendors and has the best pedal feel out of the bunch and better fulcrum design on their pressure plate. Spec is a close second though for sure.

Hint; Call Chris at MAPerformance or PM him here for the "best" price on either.

#16 ·
what about the master cylinder though? Do I need to replace that??

And obviously there's a big diff b/w a $1400 twin clutch and a $600 clutch...but what is this difference? What advantages does the exedy twin have over the exedy stage 2? Sorry for the amateur questions, really appreciate the feedback though

#20 ·
yea i'm not planning on doing too many mods at all. I think a stage 2 should be more than enough. Does anyone know about the replacing the master cylinder? Is our stock one bad? Someone on this forum said if you replace the clutch you should also replace master cylinder...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.