Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Evo X stock and aftermarket cam specs

148K views 167 replies 77 participants last post by  Evariste 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs for stock and aftermarket cams available for the Evo X

MSRP taken directly from manufacturer's website.
Prices for JUN, HKS and Tomei cams converted from Japanese ¥ Yen to US $ Dollars.

Aftermarket Cam Descriptions

BC Stage 2:
• Street/Strip Specification
• Plug and play application
• Short duration for nice street manners, slight lope at idle
• Excellent all purpose spec
• OEM spring OK

BC Stage 3:
• Race Specification
• Longer duration profile, added rpm potential
• Intended for fully built engine
• Tuning and ECU mods recommended
• Requires stiffer valve springs

Cosworth MX1 cams:
• Designed for broad power band
• Compatible with stock valve springs

GSC S1:
• Designed for stock up to smaller upgraded bolt-on turbos
• Up to 550 WHP is possible
Designed for a rev range of 3000-7500rpms
• Will not sacrifice any bottom end power over stock cams
• Slightly rougher idle
Work well on the stock valve springs

GSC S2:
• Designed for more aggressivley built Evo X engines
• Can support 600+ WHP
• Designed for a rev range of 3800-8500rpms
• Requires stiffer valve springs

Kelford 214-A:
• Stock frame turbo applications

Kelford 214-B:
• Larger turbo applications
Requires stiffer valve springs

Kelford 214-C:
• Racing camshafts to suit high horsepower engine builds
Requires stiffer valve springs

JUN:
• Any JUN cam grind can be paired with one another
to form your own custom kit. Stiffer springs and retainers
also available.

HKS Valcon Plus V Cam:
• All around profile selected for effective use on the street, circuit drag or drift
• Stock replacement type which requires no replacement of head, pistons or valve springs.

Tomei:
Made from special materials
• Precision grinding
• Pre-set valve timing
• Outstanding turbine response
• Stable Idling
• Variable valve timing compatible - Camshafts retain the original MIVEC feature, and maximizes the MIVEC potential in all areas.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Same here! I'd love to know

#27 ·
Yeah, this is an awesome thread - I said I wouldn't do cams, but damn, I can tell I am not going to keep that promise.

Question for those with cams - why not Stage 2? I understand Stage 1 and MX1's are great cams and you can make great gains, but was there a reason you avoided them? My first inclination is changing the springs out is a pain and needs to be done right vs. just swapping cams, but any other considerations?

(hoping I am not thread hijacking...great thread though).

#30 ·
I have no idea what any of those numbers mean. Off to hit the books!

#34 ·
I wanna get the MX1 i think its perfect for DD, but were can i get the cozzy springs from?

#35 ·
IIRC, MX1 cams are made by Kelford.... for Cossie.

#42 ·
Not true at all;

Hi Justin,

The MX1's are clearly our unique lobe profile, created by testing and development by our engineers. Why do people think we rebrand other peoples products.

There are basically only 3 cam blank suppliers in the world that all the cam companies purchase from. In the picture below you can see we've had our own unique blank made for the Evo X with our name cast into it.

For those that wonder, send them this link... http://cosworthusa.com/technical/article.asp?idpage=6 . We've been making cams longer than all the other manufacturers out there.

I do want to say that Kelford makes a quality cam and not in any way putting their products down. However our development and engineering process is different from their's obvious by the different characteristics, specs, and lobe profiles that are the end result. The customer needs to go with the company that makes the right cam for their application, assuming the quality is up to par.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

#36 ·
I'm ordering the tomei cams. Ill post the results after a protune. Decided against the valvesprings. I was gonna do cosworth valvesprings but stock retainers are garbage and don't know about them in longterm reliability. Also I don't wanna do dual springs with titanium retainers because of excessive valvetrain stress... And they're hella expensive. So ill do a less aggressive cam with OEM valvetrain and factory rpm limiter.

#38 ·
↑ Yeah I can add in a price column...MSRP like you said, but usually you can get them for cheaper than MSRP. I'll take the MSRP right from each company's website. Links probably wouldn't be a good idea since they wouldn't all be approved vendors on this site.