Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

GROUP BUY: Headlight Mods (blacked out, EvoX-R projectors, etc)

36K views 158 replies 29 participants last post by  Ttsumibishi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Seems there's definitely some interest. I'd like to see if we can get a group buy on headlight mods going. The minimum is 10 people so spread the word!

Regular sale thread with pics/details/pricing here (does not including cost for EvoX-R projectors, we'll figure that out if anyone is interested)
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50988

Group Buy Rates
10-19 - $25 off
20+ - $40 off

Some notes -

• Group buy is closed at 11:59PM on Sunday March 25 2012
  • Once the GB is closed, if we have enough people I'll ask each to submit a 50% non-refundable deposit. The remaining 50% will be due when you send in your lights.
  • Once we have a confirmed list of people, we can begin scheduling who sends lights when. I know everyone has different schedules (some DD their car, others can only do it on weekends, etc) so I will work closely with you all to ensure there are no hiccups or delays in getting finished lights back to you.
  • Any EvoX-R projector upgrades you want done while the lights are open must be communicated to me in advance. The 50% deposit will be used to purchase the projectors and ensure they arrive before your lights do.

So let's see if we can hit 10! Sign up below and let me know if you just want to be blacked out or if you'd be interested in EvoX-R upgrades as well. Example below:

0. TTsumibishi (black out, projectors)

2012-March-21
UPDATED with Shipping/Packing/Work/etc. notes

Payment

• At close of group buy, at least 50% deposit is due to me. PM me for final price and paypal info.
  • I need at least 3-4 days to order the projectors and have them shipped to me.
  • Remaining payment is due when you send the headlights in. Feel free to just pay all at once if you want.

Scheduling

• Once paypal deposit (or full amount if you prefer) is sent, you can schedule a time to send headlights.
  • Only time I'm absolutely NOT available is April 2-6. Before/after that I am available.
  • Inform me if you want your stock projectors returned or not. It may add a pound or two to shipping weight on the way back. I'll wrap them as best I can in bubble wrap to prevent damage.
  • If you don't want the stock projectors returned I can take care of them for you.

Pre-removal

• I may ask you guys, if you can, to mark current alignment of lights against a wall using painters tape or something similar.
  • Test your headlights before sending them out. Test left/right turn signals, parking lights, high beams, DRLs. Let me know beforehand if anything is not working.
  • While I do try to preserve alignment when installing EvoX-R the returned lights may need slight adjustments. See below.

Shipping

• Two boxes preferred. Ship to my work. Insure up to $700 or less if you prefer. If the box cannot fit in your evo please find better boxes to avoid delays in return shipping. :)
  • Pack the boxes well. Keep the black plastic tabs AWAY from the edges of the boxes as best you can. There have been a few instances of a tab snapping off during shipment to me, and one during return shipping. I have epoxy that seems to hold the tab back on if it breaks en-route to me.
  • If you have any aftermarket LED headlights in place (e.g. DRLs, etc) I suggest you remove them before packing headlights. I've seen them fall off during shipping.
  • Bubble wrap is great, so is packing peanuts. Take into account weight of packing material -- it can increase shipping costs on both of us.

Receiving packages

• The packages come to my work so I don't need to sign for them. There's a secure locked mail room at front desk where I pick them up.
  • Once I receive them I'll open and inspect them for damage. The most common issues I see are broken tabs (where the bolts go through) and bent metal brackets (just bend back into shape). Anything out of the ordinary I will PM you for input on.
  • One LED-style DRL had most of its SMD LEDs fall off inside the headlight. See packing recommendations above.
  • I do test headlights when I receive them to ensure bulbs, ballasts, etc work before they go into the oven and before I ship them back out. I built a test harness for this reason. If they arrive and are not in working order I will PM you before I begin work so you are aware.

Work

• Black out is usually done first day. EvoX-R projectors by second day at the latest.
  • I usually air-can spray the headlights down to remove dust. Last set I did had a little dust on the inside of the headlight upon return. I'll do my best to avoid this from occuring again. I wear latex gloves when handling pieces to avoid fingerprint transfer.
  • Pre/post bulb testing occurs when received and before returning (see above)

Receiving returned headlights

• Inspect for damage
  • Plug in/test befor you re-attach bumper
  • Make sure to check alignment against a wall. There are two 10mm alignment bolts on the back of the headlight. I will try to preserve alignment as best I can when painting headlights and installing EvoX-R but some adjustment may be necessary on your part.
  • Test turn signals, parking lights, HIDs and high beams. Make sure no issues occurred during return shipping.

See less See more
#70 ·
Hey Ttsumibishi, could you explain the purpose of this (part in red)?

Pre-removal

• I may ask you guys, if you can, to mark current alignment of lights against a wall using painters tape or something similar.
  • Test your headlights before sending them out. Test left/right turn signals, parking lights, high beams, DRLs. Let me know beforehand if anything is not working.
  • While I do try to preserve alignment when installing EvoX-R the returned lights may need slight adjustments. See below.

#71 ·
Yessir. So, to install EvoX-R projectors I have to basically disassemble the entire headlight. When I put them back together I put the vertical and horizontal alignment back to where I found it (two 10mm bolts on the back of the headlight control this). It may be **slightly** off (few mm, centimeter), so one headlight might be slightly higher than the other. You have two options really:
1. Adjust one headlight using the 10mm bolt on the back so the vertical alignment matches the other headlight
2. (what I do on my own car) back car approx 20-30 feet away from a solid colored wall, headlights on, and mark the top level of the headlights against the wall. Painters tape (blue) works really well here. Then you can just align back to that mark on the wall in case they're slightly off.

Example, few weekends ago we did BitsuMishi's headlights (local) with EvoX-R projectors and a few other goodies. When they were back together one headlight, when shining on the wall, was about 1/8" off from the other. You don't really notice it when driving but some (me included) notice when pulling into a driveway or garage at night, lights on, might bug you if it's slightly off. Up close they may be a little off regardless. It's around 20-30 feet away when they should match up as best as possible.

So, while I do my very best to make sure it's adjusted EXACTLY as it was before disassembly, still a good idea to mark where the top of the beam was before you took them out. Not totally required, most guys just get the headlights, and align one to the other, making sure they're not too high up as to blind oncoming traffic.

If you need some more explanation I'll be happy to provide! For full retrofits (e.g. I'm cutting things apart, such as FX-R projectors) this becomes a lot more important as alignment is harder to preserve and does need a little adjusting when you receive them back. EvoX-R is a lot more friendly.

#72 ·
Wow, ok, that was a lot of text. Might seem daunting at first read but it's really simple;
1. Headlights normally shine at X height
2. Returned headlights should be close if not exactly at X height
3. If they're a tiny bit off you may need to adjust using 10mm adjustment bolts on the back
4. You may, if you wish, mark current level when shining against a wall before shipping them off, if you want. This means when you put them back in and test against the same wall/markings you have to be parked in the same exact location. Not an issue for guys with no headlights as their cars generally don't move. haha :)

Hope it helps

#73 ·
^ Oh, okay. That's what I figured the purpose was for marking the original headlight aiming. To be specific, it was the "I may ask you guys, if you can....." that made me think that somehow this information would be helpful to you in some way, as opposed to making it easier for us end-users to get the alignment back to what it was previously.

#75 ·
Another question about headlight aiming..... what's the purpose behind the "stepped" arrangement of the headlights as they come from the factory, where the top edge of the two beams look kinda like:

_________/`````````

i.e. the driver's side beam is lower than the passenger side beam

#76 ·
Great question! For countries that drive on the right hand side of the road, it's so the right step up will illuminate road, signs, etc. as best it can while the lower portion won't blind oncoming drivers.

On RHD cars (so left hand side of the road) the step goes in the opposite direction, same reason. UK, Australia, Bermuda etc.

#82 ·
1. Kcandiloro (black out, evox-r, cutoff)
2. Kooldino
3. covenant (black out, evox-r, smoked reflectors)
4. evox79 (black out, evox-r, amber relectors, fedex-jitsu)
5. pbevox (black out, evox-r, tinted reflectors - will provide tint film)
6. EVLEVO (black out, evox-r, smoked reflectors)
7. twistkill (black out, evox-r, smoked reflectors, red cutoff)
8. wwevyi (black out, evox-r)
(not sure about reflectors will know after the weekend)
9. i8fizh (black out)
10.vastevo (evox-r)

#90 · (Edited)
Forget what I said..EvoX-R with aftermarket Mori ballasts and bulbs work just fine together. It's just a very tight fit compared to stock Osram bulbs which fit really well for some reason (even though I measured them, and they measure identically).

Weird..anyway..

#91 ·
this is exactly what i want to turn my non hid gsr headlights into...can you pm me what this would cost. i wouldnt be able to do it until the summer time (another month or so) so that i can ride my bike.

[/QUOTE]

#92 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.