Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Can some one tell me why the evo X became 5 speed?

6K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  SiliconTek 
#1 ·
What was the purpose evo X has 5 gears? Please let me know

#3 ·
weight.

#5 · (Edited)
My guess was it had a lot to do with marketing too. They wanted to sell the MR as the premium, "better" model. A checkbox for "6 speed" made for good marketing material, so when comparing a GSR and MR, an uneducated person could be like "durrr, 6 is bigger than 5!" and have an additional reason to buy the MR. It'd be difficult to differentiate, on paper, the differences between a 6 speed "manual", and 6 speed "dual clutch thing of wonder that runs on unicorn blood".

As an aside, when I was buying my GSR, the sales guy, literally, used the "Well, the MR does have 6 gears..." argument on me, in an attempt to upsell me. As if the only difference between the two transmissions was, in fact, an extra gear in the MR. It's dangerous shit like that sales people do in an attempt to upsell, and it's stupid. Yeah, and the Ralliart has 6 gears too, so fuck this GSR noise, gimme a Ralliart!

#10 ·
Yeah, and the Ralliart has 6 gears too, so fuck this GSR noise, gimme a Ralliart!

Believe it or not I actually had a guy recommend the Ralliart to me when I told him I wanted a GSR. He was attempting to downsell me. Probably because I told him I didnt have the money right that minute but I would be back, he was trying to get me into a car that day.

#6 ·
#8 ·
Cost.

It's always about the Benjamins.

#12 ·
The correct answer is that Mitsu made us a 5 speed tranny with no dedicated reverse so that it could handle much more power and abuse than older 5 speeds did. There is simply no room left to fit a 6th gear or a reverse gear. (first is used for reverse)

I believe they made the gears a good 2 cm wider than the older 8/9 5 speeds.

There is a reason why we don't see "I just blew my tranny today" threads. Even with the guys pushing 500+ hp.

#13 ·
exactly, a 6 speed with reverse gear is 7 gears in the same size transmission as ours has 5. They did this so that they could fit larger (more robust) gears and improve cooling. (reverse is achieved by mashing 1st and 3rd in a pretty cool way).

There are many press releases and other such reviews explaining this in detail if you just search.

#14 ·
the 5 gear is a cruising gear, the six gear on the nines was the same, and guys who drag the nines always swapped to 5 speed because they were dragging 4th gear and needed better times, if you cant get what you need outta 5 you shouldnt be driving a manual car. its not about weight, that is such a cop out answer when you look at the weight of a car in whole, it an easier transmission to work with, and fixing it is more cost effective then adding and extra gear which would require more material for a transmission build. mitsubishi did the right thing by going back to basic 5 speed.

#15 ·
The 5spd is a tough unit and will pull to about 170 so I hear. The extra gear would be nice for the highway but I would gladly trade a few mpg for durability. I never bought the car to be "economical"

#17 ·
The 5spd is a tough unit and will pull to about 170 so I hear. The extra gear would be nice for the highway but I would gladly trade a few mpg for durability. I never bought the car to be "economical"[/quote"]

a sixth would be nice but Ill take the extra strength of the 5spd any day. I bet if it came with a sixth most of us would be saying "damn I wish mitsu would have just did a stronger 5".

#16 ·
Because 5 is better than 4, obviously. Also, everything everyone else has said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.