Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Just 301 WHP... should I not have more with my mods?

11K views 94 replies 33 participants last post by  ak47m203 
#1 ·
Picked up my car this morning from my tuner.

On the dyno it made 301 WHP, how much is that in BHP?

I was hoping for a little bit more TBH, but my tuner mapped my car at 1.7bar of boost just to be safe as I'm still running standard internals.

These are my mods;

Piper CAT back ext/Test pipe/Grimspeed 3PBS/WB255 FP/AEM induction/JS short runner Manifold/Perrin Intercooler/TS BOV.

Tuner said he could raise the boost to 1.92bar but then I risk bending or throwing a rod.

#6 ·
It is not as quick as it was from the bottom end, but mid range and high end my car feels and pulls stronger than before. I have the dyno printout infront of me, I will post up later on...

What type of dyno? Could be one hell of a heartbreaker. Also, what were the air conditions?
I don't know what kind of Dyno? it says "Dynocom Industries" on the dyno sheet. Air temp was under 12oC as I'm in UK and the hanger door was wide open next to the Dyno.

#4 ·
What type of dyno? Could be one hell of a heartbreaker. Also, what were the air conditions?

#7 ·
Max power = 301.4 (WHP) @ 5800rpm
Max torque = 319 (ft lbs) @ 3850rpm

can anyone convert these figures to crank figures for me please?

thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I asked my tuner how much BHP? and he said "around 398bhp".

#18 ·
Here is the Dyno printout

Text Line Plot Parallel Circle

#22 ·
Well he said he could run my car @ 1.92 bar (don't know what that it is in PSI?) but he is concerned about the fact I'm still on OEM internals... does 301 WHP seem a bit low for 1.7 bar though?

I'm going forged after christmas + ID 1000's and turbo elbow & DP. Then I hope to see some much higher figures.

#23 ·
I think it's the dyno's or "rolling road" in the UK. A group of us SRT-4 owners had a dyno day and put down big torque numbers with low hp numbers. It's not uncommon for an SRt-4 to have higher torque numbers but what the OP posted is not surprising given it's the UK.

#94 ·
I have 316whp/358tq after tune.
These are about my exact same numbers, at ~23.5 psi. What boost are you at? Are you worried at all about the high torque? A couple people had mentioned that its pretty high, so that worried me a little, then some others said its fine. Tuner says its fine. What you think?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
your numbers seem a little low even if it is on a heartbreaker dyno but not too bad...would expect much more with a tubular manifold & intercooler along with all the usual bolt ons plus you are also catless...could up the boost to 25psi instead of 24psi and see if that gets you a bit better numbers but 27psi is pushing it a bit too much on pump...best bet is to get a stronger tuner...not sure if the american e-tuners can tune you on the gas you are on out there, but I would contact bakaunchi or chet to see if they can fix you up with a better tune...GL!

#46 ·
I hear what you are saying and it does make sense, my tuner would rather I have a safe tune untill I get a forged engine, then he said he could easilly turn up the boost. I'm maybe being a bit impatient.. I was just expecting a bit more as I've spent alot of money recently on mods and only received a small gain in power on what I was already running. The car does drive really smooth and mid to high end feels really fast :D

#35 ·
More importantly than the peak 301 number is how much it falls off at redline. I just pulled up a couple graphs from a couple EVO Xs we tuned this week with similar mods, they are within 10 or so whp of the peak number @ redline; whereas your graph falls off big time at redline and is down almost 100 whp @ redline. In other words the peak numbers should not be 100whp different then the HP reading at 7k RPM, but rather they should be within 5-10% max.

I would strongly suggest getting it re-tuned by someone local, that car isn't happy.

As a side note, we do not suggest e-tuning these cars as they run an open-loop fueling system that uses a narrow band O2 sensor that doesn't accurately read A/F's for tuning purposes. So unless you are logging wideband AFRs there is absolutely no way to accurately tune the cars fueling.

#45 ·
Oh, and 312atw @ 1,7 bar on the same day......
so is 301.4ATW circa 400BHP mate? don't get me wrong the car drives awesome and I'm really happy, I was just a bit dissapointed that I've spent ££££'s recently on mods and I was l expecting a bit more power. Ant says I should do the rods and he'll raise the boost to 1.9 bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.