Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Help!! Wheels!

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  airborne703 
#1 ·
I have been pretty good at deatiling for yeatrs doing car shows and so on. I started my career almost 2 years ago and have been slacking on my car lately. Over the winter I didnt clean my car very often. Becuase of this I have a huge problem with getting my wheels clean.

There are little black dots that will not come off even with a degreaser and heavy scrubbing. What can I do to get these off? I can provide a picture if needed later on.

#6 ·
i tired bleach white, didnt work..

#4 ·
ive scrubbed with every non-abrasive and it doesnt work. needs some kind of cleaner that will take it off.

#7 ·
#9 ·
Anyone else? Was reading around and I see the detailers use this ironX stuff.

#10 ·
I think its Sonax that makes a good cleaner. Detailers Domain has a few threads on here and list what products they use so check those out. They are close to me and do great work. There are plenty of rich people around here with BMWs, which throw off tons of brake dust, that never wash their cars. Almost every BMW I see has brown wheels that are probably pitted to high hell so if these guys can get those wheels back to their bright silver finish then they know what products work.

#11 ·
Yea I was loing through their stuff. Not to many details on the wheels though

#12 ·
Iron cutting your wheels might help a bit. It pulls the iron out of the pores of the paint on the wheels and might help to dissolve the iron that's sitting in those brake dust deposits. Try it, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work. Just make sure whenever you do get everything off you put something back on to protect the wheels, whether it be a wheel specific protectant or just some wax. It'll stop you from having this issue again.

#13 ·
Thanks ^ will do

#14 ·
I used meguiars alloy wheel cleaern after neglecting the inside of the rims for years. it worked pretty well but were a few stubborn spots wouldn't come off.

If you find something that works very well please do share!

With my new wheels I spent 5 hours applying several coats of a wolf's rim shield product so hopefully will prevent me from having that issue on these.

#15 · (Edited)
I went to AutoGeek.net and bought:

1. Stop Tech Brake Pads (To limit the dust of the stock Pads).
2. Sonax Wheel Cleaner.
3. CarPro IronX Iron Remover.
4. Migliore Wheel Seal.

Hopefully this will do the trick. Will let you all know after I get the stuff this weekend.

#16 ·
So I did everything besides the Miglior Wheel seal.

The brake pads are great, feel like stock, no noise, and from what I can tell after only a few days there is a lot less dust then the stock pads.

The Sonax Wheel cleaner is Magic in a bottle. That stuff is the best wheel cleaner I have ever used hands down, and I have tried a lot.

The CarPro IronX, takes even more dirt and dust off after the wheel cleaner is done. You can still see it turn purple in spots that Sonax missed. Really good stuff too.

I did use the Migliore Wax on the brake calipers to prevent them from getting to dirty as well.

Ill give another update after more miles and another wash.

#17 ·
were you talking about the baked on dust? i have the same problem with my advans and stock pads. keep us posted because i think im going to do the same route you took.

#18 ·
^ yes, that method I posted worked pretty good. cost about $200 bucks to do it myself including the pads and cleaning supplies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.