Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

***Specialty-X Catback!***

75K views 603 replies 107 participants last post by  chopshop 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Pricing is set and we will be introducing our new SX catback to the Evo X community for sale. We are excited to offer you guys a great new option. We make no compromises and cut no corners.

Our catback is made from high quality (mandrel bent) T-304 Polished Stainless Steel and TIG welded to perfection. No ugly welds and smooth non-turbulent transitions at each flange. We wanted to keep the system as straight as possible while keeping the great looks of the dual tip\muffler setup. Coming out of the cat\test pipe is a 3" to 2.5" Y pipe. From there you have our dual setup mufflers to give the car a nice mean look from the back. Tips are round slash cut to match the angle of the rear bumper.

Our quality:

More pics of the catback:

Dyno Results:

Bone stock vs. SX Catback

Bone stock vs. SX Catback & SX Open Test Pipe

Video\Sound Clip:

Pricing:
Special Price of $999.00 + Shipping!!!!!!!!
Please PM for shipping prices. IN STOCK & READY To SHIP!
GO HERE TO BUY NOW!!:
http://www.specialtyx.com/catbacks.htm
No, we're not priced as low as other companies but we're not aiming at competing with a product that is not in the same class as ours. You get what you pay for. We all paid a good amount for our cars and it deserves a nice product. We bought our X MR a month ago and looked for a nice looking\sounding system. We couldn't find one that met our high level of standards.

If any of you guys have ANY questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Catbacks are being built as we speak and will ship out as early as next week!
First order first serve.

See less See more
1 10
#585 ·
Side note, had a coworker come with me in his evo IX to the Kansas City Speedway on friday afternoon. They had a special event for season ticket holders (which I am definitely not, never had even been before). But heard you just had to pretend you were season ticket holder and they never checked.

Anyway, they let you drive around the track (which was cool, never driven on a heavilly banked course before) behind a pace-car. But through clever use of slowing down/backing off and flooring it you could get up to 100-110.

We finish our first time around and he pulls up next to me and goes "holy f*CK, you're car sounds amazing." He had mentioned the sweet exhaust note a few times before when he had followed me on regular roads, but I assumed it was just to be nice. This time it was clear he was genuinly impressed. Which was nice cause he's got a pretty decent sounding exhaust on his IX.

I wish I could drive my car while riding behind it in another car

#587 ·
See i wasn't sure if I could rotate the wheels or not. I had the rear up and the car in gear. I took the handbrake off and was able to rotate the rear wheel, and logically thought it shouldn't matter with the diffs, but i still wasn't sure if it was a good idea with the car in gear so that's why i just lowered it and moved the car.

Guess i could have tried to raise the whole car up. Or taken it out of gear, but didn't want it rolling off the stands.

Let me know how you do it.

#589 ·
Here's what I used specifically.

#595 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on an exhaust but I'm still debating what I want. I've been following this thread for a long time, and despite the possible headaches with this exhaust, I'm still interested in the Specialty X due to the looks and sound.

A couple deciding questions for you owners:

1. How close does the exhaust sound in person compared to this?

2. If you could do it all over again, which exhaust would you go with?

Thanks in advance.

#596 · (Edited)
It sounds very close as it does in person. I have gotten more compliments on my exhaust and stance than anything else about the car.

This is the only one I have from outside of the car. Kind of far away but you get the idea. I have the SX TBE w/test pipe. I need to put the old GoPro on the trunk and shoot a video.

#598 ·
Either the ETS V2 Extreme or AMS single.

I would not get this one mainly due to the ground clearance. I am limited as to how low I can go and not hit the cans on speed bumps. Which by the way, due to the angle, the front of the cans can actually wedge on the speed bump and cause damage to the diffuser and undercarriage.

#599 ·
^ Haven't adjusted my ride height yet but good info. Plan on doing that and will have to be carefull. Was hoping as the low point is pretty lined up with the rear axle that that would minimize the issue.

The hard time I have answering question number 2 is that currently, having experienced this exhaust I'd probably want to try something different as I like trying different things. This isn't the same thing though as having any regrets. I feel I made the correct choice and still love the exhaust.

With the updated y-pipe you won't have any clearance issues. The exhaust note is just amazing. Have had many people compliment it because it's not obnoxiously loud but just sounds mean, which is exactly what i was going for.

Actually, what I'd do differently is probably get the SS cans instead of the carbon fiber ones. The exhaust with AMS widemouth downpipe and a specialty x HFC is right on the border of being bothersomely loud for me. I think the little bit quiter SS cans would have been a better fit for my personal tastes (and save some $$).

Was in a parking garage the other day and despite being 30degrees had the windows down driving around cause it sounded so pretty.

#600 · (Edited)
Got a video of the exhaust from back in September.

Please note that my fuel hose thing had popped off and was causing the car to run very lean the first couple attempts. but we found it/fixed it and got a couple good pulls in.

Still makes for a good sound clip.

#602 ·
Afirmative

Best contact is to email Seb, he usually replies pretty fast. I just spoke with him a couple days ago.

sebastian@specialtyz.com

Or you could probably call too. He's a great guy.

Remind me and I'll grab some video tonight of my exhaust. Now that I have a GoPro.

#603 ·
Finally made a video of the exhaust.

check it out:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.