Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

2 step and Magnus CMC

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BlueX702 
#1 ·
I have the Magnus CMC set up, FX400 and a Jacks trans. I have been adjusting the pedal height but since the FX 400 engages quite high I want to lower the pedal at rest and introduce some free play. This is not possible with the 2 step switch at the top of the clutch pedal stroke. There are not enough threads on the sensor to have the pedal stop on the sensor. I don't like that the clutch uses the pushrod as it's stop/limit of travel because it tops out the CMC. I have been told this is no an issue but I wanted to see what some of you think.

So my thought is to pull the sensor out, wire the connector to a switch on the dash and then swap in a longer bolt with enough thread to make the adjustments freely.

This would allow me to flip a switch to engage the 2 step, like I will ever need it, but that is beside the point.

Anyone see a problem with this? I am suspecting that once the ECU see's speed it elminates the 2 step so there would not be a need to imediately flip the switch to off.

Thoughts or am I being a wierdo?

#2 ·
I don't think that is a good idea - the top clutch switch is also an input to cruise control. as well as several other ecu operations. Tephra could prob tell you more about what else uses the switch.

perhaps you should just get a threaded rod at a hardware store with a long tension adjusting collar and put it all together to extend the clutch switch?

I have found that limiting the travel on the clutch can lead to shift lockout at higher rpms if the clutch plates do not disengage far enough

#5 ·
I don't think that is a good idea - the top clutch switch is also an input to cruise control. as well as several other ecu operations. Tephra could prob tell you more about what else uses the switch.

perhaps you should just get a threaded rod at a hardware store with a long tension adjusting collar and put it all together to extend the clutch switch?

I have found that limiting the travel on the clutch can lead to shift lockout at higher rpms if the clutch plates do not disengage far enough
:+1: I have experienced this first hand at the track.

#3 ·
That's good to know about the switch. Unfortunately it can not be extended. And as for the clutch, the FX 400 has a very very high pedal. I am still higher than the brake pedal. I just wanted to be able you have some more adjustment.

It engages in the last 1-1.5 inches of travel.

#6 ·
The shop that installed the carbonetics put a stopper to limit clutch pedal travel because it was fully dissengaged well before all the way depressed.

They just jumpered across that clutch pedal sensor switch. So the car will start now if the clutch pedal isn't depressed.

That said, this has no impact on the 2-step. Stopped and in first and reving it, it will still bounce off the 5500rpm rev limiter. So that switch has nothing to do with the 2-step.

Just jumper across it, or you won't be able to start the car ever.

#7 ·
You are talking about the upper switch, right?

And as for the travel. I have set it lower and have no lock out at high rpm. The FX400 has a very high engagement point. The pedal is still slightly higher than the brake pedal.

#11 ·
Here you go:

Stopper installed on the clutch pedal. I actually had to "upgrade" the one the shop installed cause he cross-threaded a nut on it and it couldn't be adjusted. I used what I believe was designed to be feet for furtniture. Anyway, you can see how it's mounted to the clutch pedal:

How the stopper limits clutch pedal travel:

And here's where he jumpered that clutch pedal sensor switch. (I assume the purple wire is what he used to jumper)

#13 ·
My old 5.0 foxbody had a low pedal and I had some issues with it. It took me a while to get use to the pedal with this car but, I think the high placement is good.

I like the switch idea... With that set up could you accidently slip out of your 2 step, or is that impossible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.