Aftermarket Race Seat and Harness Setups - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Aftermarket Race Seat and Harness Setups

For those of you running aftermarket fixed back race seats, I would like to know what exactly was involved to make it happen. I am looking to install some and have been baffled by what needs to be done for making them fit

1) I am in talks with a local shop and they are talking about custom fabricating the base to fit the side mounts on the seats. Needless to say, this is an expensive proposition.
2) Buddy club race spec rails. I like the cost on these but don't know if they are drop in or if they will even work.
3) I have a 5 point harness but everything I have read/seen leads me to believe that ripping out the carpet and welding will be involved. Is this really the case or am I just tripping?
4) For the hip belts, the local shop believes making custom angled brackets will be necessary and so will welding them to the floor. Bolting to the floor will not be an option, especially when re-using the rail bolt. Is this true?

I have a lot of questions, but this will be a good starting point. Any/All help will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus View Post
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Bueller!

Quote:
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....
Old 04-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Jeremy@SSP
[Elite Merchant]
[Forum Addict]
[CCEvo Team Sponsor]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAss View Post
For those of you running aftermarket fixed back race seats, I would like to know what exactly was involved to make it happen. I am looking to install some and have been baffled by what needs to be done for making them fit

1) I am in talks with a local shop and they are talking about custom fabricating the base to fit the side mounts on the seats. Needless to say, this is an expensive proposition.
2) Buddy club race spec rails. I like the cost on these but don't know if they are drop in or if they will even work.
3) I have a 5 point harness but everything I have read/seen leads me to believe that ripping out the carpet and welding will be involved. Is this really the case or am I just tripping?
4) For the hip belts, the local shop believes making custom angled brackets will be necessary and so will welding them to the floor. Bolting to the floor will not be an option, especially when re-using the rail bolt. Is this true?

I have a lot of questions, but this will be a good starting point. Any/All help will be appreciated.

1.) It doesn't have to be

2.) Not sure on buddy club, but Recaro, Sparco and Corbeau both work. Corbeau is going to be much more budget friendly and that's what I've been running for years with zero issues, and they make rails too.

3.) You're just tripping, there's no need to "rip the carpet up" or "weld" on the car for that matter. At the very most, you might have to cut a slit in the carpet to allow for the 5/6 part (crotch strap) to come through. And depending on which rails you go with, you can just have the 5/6 mounting points attached to the frame rail of the seat. I've seen Recaro Rails and Seats done this way for the GT-R.

4.) There are already bolt hole previsions in the floor and very bottom of the B pillar/door frame area. Depending on which brand/size eyelet bolts you go with, you might have to weld on the eyelet part to the oem bolt. If I remember correctly to get the drivers side lap harness to work I had that done. Pretty sure the seat belt bolt is a different thread pitch from the other three.

South Side Performance, Inc.
www.sspperformance.com

Jeremy@sspperformance.com
6125 W Sam Houston Pkwy N ste 205
Houston, Texas 77041

Last edited by Jeremy@SSP; 04-06-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Jeremy@SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Thank Jeremy, I'm gonna call you sometime today to get more specifics.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Jeremy@SSP
[Elite Merchant]
[Forum Addict]
[CCEvo Team Sponsor]

Sure bud, hit me up on my cell - 443-636-0530, I'm working from home today.

South Side Performance, Inc.
www.sspperformance.com

Jeremy@sspperformance.com
6125 W Sam Houston Pkwy N ste 205
Houston, Texas 77041

Jeremy@SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
chetrickerman
[E-Tuner]

The buddy club low seat rails are drop in. I have them and I really like them.
chetrickerman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
90min IPA
Just Spooling Up

I'm interested in this thread....
90min IPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
steelbahamut
Most likely in chat

Im using recaro pole positions with buddy club rails, perfect fit

Facebook:STOLin#84 Racing
steelbahamut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
Subi.convert
Just Spooling Up

I've got some buddy club rails still in the box that I'm not using. I PM'd you.
Subi.convert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Thanks for bumping the thread, I never saw the last few posts with useful info.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement