Wanna go ride bikes? aka the Cycling thread - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Community > Health & Lifestyle
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Health & Lifestyle Just because we're grease monkeys doesn't mean we have to live like animals. Discuss health, diet, and exercise topics here.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Wanna go ride bikes? aka the Cycling thread

Just picked her up yesterday. Been far too long since I rode....over 10 years since I rode for serious. Need to quit smoking and get back in the saddle. Did a quick ride yesterday and while it hurt since I'm now in the WORST shape of my life, it truly felt amazing to be back in the saddle. Embarrassing that the guy that did a 60mile ride on a hot August afternoon and felt almost good enough for another 60miles 10 years ago can't make it around the block without hurting today (100% true story).

~AEM~ETS~GSC~Kelford~Moore Automotive~Perrin~Pierburg~Rally Armor~Synapse~
X-Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
philly_evox
Forum Lackey

Glad to see your trying to make a change bro! Good luck! I hate any forms of cardio.

★AMS★Depo★ETS★T1R★Works★Mishimoto
★Auto-Technics★NGR★Rexpeed★Perrin★Cobb
philly_evox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Historically I was a good runner, but never loved it. Now I hate it AND suck at it, so now I turn to an old friend lol.

Any other cyclists here that can bring me back up to speed?

I've been smoking since 2003/age 19...wish I had never started. once I finish what I have I'm trying the patch again. Cycling will help I think. A few of my coworkers do some serious riding so one of the reasons for buying one was so I could ride with them for motivation.

Last edited by X-Factor; 04-05-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
animal04
Just Spooling Up

Right on! I picked up a new Giant xtc 0 last year after being out of the bike scene for 5 years. It defiantly felt great riding again. I smoke too and not just tobacco. it was hard getting the endurance part of riding back and I still don't have it back.

This year should be fun doing it all over again lol. I may actually quit the cigs this summer.
animal04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Did a lap around my VERY hilly (guessing half mile to a mile per lap) block once on Saturday, twice yesterday, and 3 times today before I started sucking wind. Getting there. Have less than a pack of smokes left...after that, the patch goes on. Trying to time it so I don't have any before I got to bed. Hm. Maybe I'll just put it on tonight. Really need a odometer for the bike so I know how far I'm going. Coworkers are going on a ride on Monday morning that I'll be joining. 3 mile hilly ride at work. Should be a good start for me. Usually they do 15-20; I suspect this 3 mile will be a fast pace.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Wife informed me when she got home last night that our block is .7mi around. Good to know. Really can't stress how hilly it is....so yesterday I did 2.1 miles. Today I'll at least go for that, if not add one.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Did another 2.1mi yesterday, smoked my last cigarette at 8pm. Started the patch this morning. I think I might take today off and go for 2.8mi tomorrow. Doesn't sound like alot, but I can't stress how hilly my block is....kinda like a leafy San Francisco (topographically speaking).

I'm not fat/overweight 6'2", 175), just VERY out of shape and my lungs are shot. Shit's gotta change.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
HereKnorThere
Just Spooling Up

Congrats on your healthy change! Before you know it the smell of cigarette smoke will make you sick.
I need to get myself a bike....my wife has been begging me to go riding with her and the kids for a while now.
haha this thread makes me laugh. Its like eight degrees of re-direction combined with mis-information and wood thrown in for good measure.
HereKnorThere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

Well the biking has slowed down, been stupid busy in the last week or so and I'm certainly getting a workout at work so it's better than nothing. Still not smoking, been hard to say the least.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
EvoXUOut
n00b

glad to see there is a couple of cyclists on here. i usually ride anywhere from 20 to 40 miles every weekend.

i upgraded on my computer to a garmin edge 800 this week and tried it out for the first time today; rode a little over 21 miles, top speed of 42.6mph, and averaged 18.4 (had to use the average of one of the guys i was riding with, as i did not set up my garmin correctly, and it was still timing the ride even when we stopped at the end :/)

good luck getting back into riding though x-factor. dont know if you still need any pointers, but if you do i will try my best to help you out.

AMS / TIAL / SPEC / MANLEY / FERREA / ARP / ACL / GSC / TWM / REXSPEED

Needs a Tune....

Last edited by EvoXUOut; 05-07-2012 at 02:52 AM.
EvoXUOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement