Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

For those of you that have spent over $20,000 on mods

12K views 128 replies 68 participants last post by  LaRosa94x 
#1 ·
If you went back in time, would you do it all again?
Or would you have bought a different car knowing what you know now?

I picked $20,000 because that's either a fast car (built motor/upgraded turbo) or a show car, or both.

#87 ·
I have now spent close to $40k in mods and haven't driven my car in almost 5 months.

When done my car will compete with just about anything you can buy. I will be $70k into the car with the purchase price, there is nothing under $100k that I could do which would compete aside from a used GTR with a decent build, and I'm not a GTR fan...

Will report back when the damn thing is running and if it was really worth it or not...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#90 ·
I have now spent close to $40k in mods and haven't driven my car in almost 5 months.

When done my car will compete with just about anything you can buy. I will be $70k into the car with the purchase price, there is nothing under $100k that I could do which would compete aside from a used GTR with a decent build, and I'm not a GTR fan...

Will report back when the damn thing is running and if it was really worth it or not...
Has it really been five months? Wow that must be hard to be away so long! What fun things are you planning for us when you are done?

#92 ·
I have had my 2012 GSR for about 1.5 years. Have about 5 grand in it. Going tomorrow to drop more for an E85 conversion. I wouldn't trade my Evo. I have owned BMW and Land Rovers and this is by far my favorite car. I'm usually bored within a year and looking to trade. With the Evo it's like a new car every time I mod it. I plan to keep it forever. Once paid off get a gtr. Hopefully they make a manual by then. Sure you can buy fast cars without needing mods but that's the fun of the Evo. We all know what cars are fast stock. The Evo is like a box of chocolates. Is it just a 300hp mostly stock with an exhaust or is it a 500hp monster? Even vettes need modded. You have to buy the gold chains, hot rod shirts and a vette hat. No thanks. I may consider trading it for a Porsche GT3 if somebody was willing to trade straight across. :)

#99 ·
I have put at least that much in the car over the years. I bought the car originally just for street use/ricing, but have been hooked in the motorsports aspect for the past 3 years. I only drive it maybe on a Saturday every now and then and then to autox once a month so for my purposes I would do it all again. It's been an awesome car. I've really had little issues from it. I've learned a lot working on the car. And it still takes a good driver to make it go as fast as it should go. AWD makes it easier, but let a better driver get in your car and do a run and you will be humbled quickly. But I like that because it shows there is more left in the car and I need to improve. I love my eBo. Wouldn't trade her off. :D

#101 · (Edited)
Yeah..... I would rather have a invest into different car. You build a sick ass car for 55k. I'd buy a used Evo 8/9 Build it and still have money left over and still would rape the X in the 1/4, Mile, and Time Attack.

I like the X for what it is..... But realistically, If I had to go back and do it all again, I'd not buy the X and spend my money on something else.

Also, I dont think the argument is about spending 20K in mods as I would spend countless money on regardless the car I would be driving. The base price of the car is either going to be a cheaper or more expensive car. If I get a GTR it's not gonna be stock and that's a promise.

I have the best of both worlds... a 9, 10 and my Own house.... Soon either a C6 Z06 or a new GTR. We'll see what I have in-stored....

#102 ·
I agree with everything you just said minus raping the X in time attack...the straight line performance suffers from gearing/weight (which can both be corrected) but in time attack format I think people like AMS and Ryan Gates showed us the X is better than the 8/9.

#103 · (Edited)
I don't understand why people insist that they need $xxxxx in mods before they go to the track.

You really don't need to invest much into the car to go to the track. Change the brake fluid, brake pads and a good set of tires is all you need. Maybe coilovers for increased road feedback. This is what I've done with my Evos. I'm not looking to go out and kill supercars on a track, just be competitive and have a good time. The Evo is a great car for that.

But I would not spend $20k on modding any car unless you can take it all off and turn the car to stock later. No one wants a built Evo (they want to build their own) and most of the money is lost. The only way you'd want to spend so much on mods if you plan to keep the car for a very long time. In that case, it's a great investment.

I've stuck with the same philosophy with my M3. Just a few select mods for track use, otherwise the car is stock. Saves money too. People ask sometimes how you can afford such a car... I tell them I've saved money for years... all those years driving stock-ish Evos. :)

#108 ·
I've been beating the viii's and ix's in SM at my local autox. Current points leader in SM. They call me "chunky monkey" because fat car. I call me champ LOL love those guysies though. Still gotta give em hell.

#109 ·
Using the Cyber Evo, or the Sierra Sierra Evo, or any other monster time attack Evo versus the relatively young X platform is stupid. Those cars are barely even Evo's anymore. What with the wind-tunnel testing, composite bodies, and incredibly modifed everything.

Prior generations have this historical vanity of a much more "raw" and "capable" Evo, when in reality they're just cheaper and have even worse build quality. They're great cars, but when you've got a motor with decades of R&D it's easy to be fast.

Back on topic...

I'm rapidly approaching $30,000 spent on my X and it's worth it. If I were to change, I would've just bought my father's Ridgeline off of him sooner and used that as a DD while picking up a Datsun 240 Z (or any S30 chassis, really) and restoring that. Still, my X is a great DD and I really like the fact that I can travel in it and cart people around because I like to drive when I go somewhere with friends. Not only that, but it's a mature-looking boy racer car. It looks good, like something a young professional can drive, unless he wants to conform and pick up a Euro car because the brochure is better presented.

In all honesty, I don't gripe about my car on this site much - not nearly as much as I do with my friends - but that's because I love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

#110 · (Edited)
WW_EVO_X, you can't expect people on these forums to be objective about something they spent so much money in. Honestly guys, it's pretty fucking hard to argue that the Evo X is superior to the IX in performance or bang for the buck.

Sure the X better in the looks department, it's better for stancers and people to drive it to look cool, yeah it's got cruise control and AYC, bluetooth, and a cushier suspension, but it's not faster than the IX for the money. It's not faster than the IX overall, and it's not faster than the IX in pretty much any way. The 4g63 is a cheaper engine to build, it is reliable as hell, makes more power easier, holds more torque, and there are people running 10's on the stock internals. The IX doesn't fuel starve at 3/4 of a tank, and the IX weighs less.

Perhaps the best thing the X has going for it in the performance world is that it's related to the IX or VIII.

Yes, the X has a stiffer chassis, it's greatest attribute probably. It's got a better TC and a better transmission than the IX. I'll give it that as well.

Yeah, you all know I'm bitter, but thats because I'm out there racing this car, riding in and driving other people's cars of all types (on tracks or autox none the less). I love the X, it's a great car and a great platform, but at some point you got to be honest with yourself. Until someone proves the X can compete with previous versions of the Evo, I'll keep my opinion as is.

To be honest, most of the people on these forums who I see lauding the X as the greatest car ever for the money, are those with 0 race track experience. Who have done nothing but watch reviews online or saw the Top gear STI vs Evo episode. Maybe they roll raced a few people or went on the drag strip. I don't know, but sorry folks, that doesn't mean shit to me.

The X is a fucking awesome car. It's insanely fast, it's got tons of tech, but lets be honest, it can't be best at EVERYTHING. Being a 4 door sedan makes it inherently disadvantaged vs coupes. Being AWD low displacement makes it disadvantaged vs RWD or AWD higher displacement cars. Being expensive makes it disadvantaged vs cars like S2k's and Miatas which can be raced for WAYYY cheaper and can still be damn fast. It's all about managing tradeoffs.

#114 · (Edited)
It's not faster than the IX overall, and it's not faster than the IX in pretty much any way. The 4g63 is a cheaper engine to build, it is reliable as hell, makes more power easier, holds more torque, and there are people running 10's on the stock internals. The IX doesn't fuel starve at 3/4 of a tank, and the IX weighs less.
Stock for stock there is no data that either car is faster then the other around circuit courses.

The 4g63 is a reliable engine, but it does not make power easier. You can not obtain the power on a 4g63 with simple bolt-ons and a tune that you can on the 4b11t. When classes are determined based on allowable mods, you can make more power in the X with fewer mods and balance out that power-weight ratio.

The AYC is good if you don't jack your power through the roof. I admit it would be nice if we could crack how to tune it. Honestly many people hated the much lauded ACD at first, until others figured out how to reprogram it for track purpose.

If running 10s on stock internals is your goal, then a IX is definitely a better platform, but a mustang and plethora of other cars are an even better platform then that. If tracking the car is your thing, then keep your power in check and run in appropriate classes and I believe most will find the X very competitive.

But no matter what, there are always ways to argue how other cars are better for one purpose or another. Most would recommend hardcore track junkies on a budget get a miata, and miata's are amazing cars. Or if you have a cushier budget, hop into a GT-R or a Porsche. Shit, I'd trade my car for a 911 any-day to track, even if it is slower then my car is currently setup.

So it's pick your poison and run with it. You don't feel that the X is the right poison to do that with, and all of us here respect that. You've had some bad experiences in the car, and that sucks. But you also had your power through the roof self tuned on an FP Red without supporting suspension mods. Maybe if you had been less aggressive power wise and kept the car closer to it's designed power outputs and focused on a more balanced build you would have had a better experience.

The fuel surge tank thing isn't that major of an issue. Does it suck? sure. But every car has it's weak points. Many need improved oil pickup to handle track abuse without loss in oil pressure, or completely upgraded brake systems. I really do hope you find a car that you enjoy tracking more and feel happier owning.

#112 ·
That was redline time attack, not world time attack. There are lots of different versions of time attack.

#122 ·
Ok, gotcha. Regardless, it would've been interesting to see the TA-X compete against the sierra sierra and others. The car had like 300k invested into and the race weight was pretty damn light, they acid dipped the car for shit sake.

I think people would be surprised if that car went into service in the world time attack or whatever with a really good team, it has potential to beat up on others.

I think AMS is selling it for like 100k right now, buy it up someone :)

#123 · (Edited)
IF not mistaken, AMS has not beaten the Local Evasive Evo here in CA on CA tracks. And comparing the 2 Shops.... AMS is on a whole other level.

Last night I typed out a 3 paragraph reply to the comments in here but in the end it doesn't matter. Realistically, If my friends were to ask me the same question, my reply would be... " It's your money, do what you want!" People get too worked up on what the car "CAN DO". People need to worry about what YOU CAN DO not what OTHERS CAN DO.

Shit, My personally opinion... 20K and I see Volks, Varis Parts, Aftermarket Headlights/Tail lights etc...... Your decisions were definitely not mine.

I chose the power route... I haven't even spent more than 6K on my car in terms of power. How? I have been investing in cars since my Honda days. Knowing the right people and working in this industry you meet the right people at the right times. There's a few members on here who frequently ask me for guidance and how I was able to do what I did with my X in a matter of 2 months.... that's a whole different topic.

Back on topic....

This goes for everyone....... It's your money, do as you please. Please yourself, and don't MOD your car for anyone else but yourself. There are way too many " Should I buy This or That " threads. Your letting your car be built by others inputs. Yes you pulled the trigger but you were swayed by opinions. If you want to spend 20K on the Evo... Great this is EvoXforums your most likely as obvious in this thread will get support. If you want to invest 20K in a Computer Chair strapped to a LSx motor then go for it... be sure you get a cage. again, "It's your money, do as you please"

-I have spoken.

#113 ·
All honesty, I would not invest $20,000.00 into an Evo. It's just not worth it. My 2010 MR is stock with the exception of a mild tone exhaust and air filter. I cannot justify spending that much money over a long period of time. The way I look at it is you will get tired of the power and looks and want to upgrade. I don't even like to drive fast and I cannot even drive a manual (That's why I bought the MR.)

I don't even go to meets. I'm a "under the radar" Evo owner. When people ask me what I drive, I just say "Lancer" because they will question me about the car and I'm not that knowledgable about it.

#116 · (Edited)
I deleted this post, no sense in it. We will just have to agree to disagree. I still love all you guys and I love this platform. I'm a bit jaded, but hey, I went WOT last night almost pooped myself in excitement so obviously they did something right.

I will say though, that my car does have front and rear sways, whiteline RCK, and coils, it isn't lacking suspension mods to go with the power :)

#119 ·
I just came on here to maybe update my post hopefully before you read it. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I more meant that what you are talking about is a highly modified car. The choices you have made will vastly effect the performance and reliability of the vehicle. I shouldn't have implied you made poor choices or went cheap, that's not what I meant.

#117 ·
It's always greener on the other side. TBH, as much as I love my X, I still miss my '00 Type R. Does it even compare to the X performance wise? Nope. But if your enjoyment of the car hinges on how it performs vs. others you're really limiting yourself. There's a lot more to enjoying cars than observing track times and lusting after something faster.

#118 ·
When you start dumping tons of money into your X you have to stop comparing it to other Evo's or cars in general.

Happy - you spent a bunch if money on your car for the specifics of racing it. I'm sure you beat older Evo's, I'm sure some beat you, and in sure a few miata's trounced on you. But, you had fun doing it so who cares?

I don't care which car is faster, what model can be modified for xxx $'s less or more. I own an Evo, it's what I'm modifying and I'd do it again. Not based on what car is better or worse, but because I personally want to.

Someone in a previous post made mention about "investing" in their car. I have to make a point of saying that you never invest in a car, you just pour money into it like it's a sinking boat. The only cars worth investing in are classic exotics or domestics with heritage and you need mondo Vicks for that.

I just hate it when people say invest in their car - lets just be honest and say waste a shitload of money on their car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#120 ·
I think when people say "invest" in the car, they are talking about a personal investment. No one expects to get their money back, but you invest your passion, time, and even your money in it to get happiness and derive enjoyment from it.

Sometimes it doesn't work out that way though lol.

#124 ·
computer chair strapped to an LS motor sounds like the coolest thing ever!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.