Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

AMS total build or other options BIG HP!

25K views 238 replies 51 participants last post by  alford35 
#1 ·
OK, I made a thread a while back when I first started looking at the Evo but a lot has changed since then. I put my GTR up for sale yesterday and am about to dive into an Evo feet first and hope to not end up on my head when its said and done! The ONLY reason I'm selling the GTR is because my son was just born and now need the space of a four door car as the GTR sucks a$$ when trying to get children in and out of the back seat. I've dealt with my 5 yr old daughter in the back for 2 years but now with 2 children it just isnt worth it anymore. Will buy another one after my children are out of car seats for sure as it is the best car I've ever owned by a long shot! Just all around fun and no problems what so ever. That brings up the big part of this thread, problems!

I want to build the Evo to the hilt of being able to jump in it and drive as far as I want to without a single worry. I've lurked on here from time to time as I've thought about trading my G35X for an Evo for a while and had a deal fall through at one point when was ready to pull the trigger.

Here is what I'm thinking as of tonight.

AMS 450-500awhp package parts, install, and labor from them.

750R Turbo kit AMS EVO X 750R Turbo kit
A/R: .64
Intake Pipe: MAF
BOV Recirc: Yes
Finish: Black Wrinkle Coated
Wastegate Recirc: Yes
Wastegate Color: Silver

ID1000-EVO X Injector Dynamics 1000cc High Impedance Injector Set
(4) EVO X [need PnP adapters]

009-00-0156 Boomba Evo X 255 lph Single Pump In Tank Fuel
System (includes Walbro pump)

Intake*BLACK W... AMS-EVO X Performance Intake with Black Powder
coat Finish** WITH BUNGS** A0053A-4A

FMIC 2010+ AMS EVO X Front Mount intercooler (model Year
2010+)

UICP *BLACK* AMS EVO X Upper Intercooler pipe / hot pipe powder
coated black

1 LICP *BLACK* AMS EVO X Lower IC pipe in *BLACK*

Single Tip Turbo ... AMS EVO X Single Tip Turbo Back Exhaust with
resonated Test Pipe / A0219B-1A

1 057033 GrimmSpeed Mitsubishi Boost Control Solenoid EVO X

30-4100 AEM Wideband Air/Fuel UEGO Gauge Kit, Gauge Type:
Digital

1 2121 Auto Meter Carbon Fiber Gauge Cup, 52mm

1 Exedy MM062HD... Exedy EVO X Twin Metallic HD Clutch kit

5 RED50304 MT-90 Redline MT-90 gear lube, QUART​

Could go with the AMS TDX 2.4 kit

Engine

• AMS Big Bore Stroker 2.4L Short Block
  • AMS EVO X CNC Cylinder Head
  • Ferrea Valve Train
  • AMS TMP Cams
Turbo/Intercooler/Exhaust

• AMS 900XP Turbo Kit
  • AMS Boost Control Solenoid Kit
  • AMS Front Mount Intercooler
  • AMS Intercooler Piping
  • Tial QR Blow Off Valve
  • AMS 3” Racing Series Exhaust
Fuel System

• AMS 900HP Fuel System
  • FIC 1100cc Injectors
Drivetrain

• Exedy/AMS Triple Metallic Push Style Clutch
  • AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Upgrade
  • AMS Stainless Steel Clutch Line
  • AMS Complete Shifter Bushing Set
  • AMS Full Polyurethane Engine Mount KitExclusive Benefits
    • The ultimate turn-key solution for unmatched power and performance!
    • Race-proven AMS parts found at the core of our Championship winning Time Attack EVO X
    • Streetable horsepower that is optimized for road racing
    • 700 HP & 400ft.lbs. of torque on 93 octane pump gas
    • 850+ HP & 500+ft.lbs. of torque achievable on race fuel

Havent talked to them about this kit as of yet but have a litte with option 1. How will the trans hold up with this kit as they say its a "turn-key solution for power and performance"? Will there be a need for other mods with this kit? If I went with this kit I would want it to be as reliable as possible! I'm not the type to WOT from stop light to stop light but do like to get thrown into the seat quite often. I wont be going to the strip or road course ever! This will be a car that may take me to the grocery or 2 hour trip to watch a sporting event. Hell maybe even drive to pick up my daughter 4 hours away. My final decision will be reliability vs hp! If I have to settle for 500awhp to satisfy my reliability needs then that is what will have to be done. The TDX2.4 kit would be pretty much at the top of what I'd be willing to spend so that leaves option 3.

Completely unkown but could spend around $26k give or take for a complete package that would get me the piece of mind that I'll never be on the side of the road for a "major" reason. I understand some things can happen but I dont want small things happening all the time, especially when AMS or any other shop that might be doing this build would be hours upon hours away. Thats why option 1 is on the list, because it should be very very reliable. If staying with 450-500hp is what it will take then that is what I'll do but I'd really like an animal thats as reliable as my GTR.

So, any and all suggestions and links would be great! Like I've said, I've lurked on here for a while but there is only so much I can pick out to read and then only a small percent of that is even helpful when talking about my needs.

Oh, and I know some type of suspension will be wanted but that is the last thing I'm worried about right now. That can be done by just about anyone. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

See less See more
#7 ·
It is easy to sell a GTR and get money. It is hell trying to sell a evo with $15k-$25K in a build. You can kiss that money goodbye. Maybe another manufacturer like Audi might be better. Get an RS4 or a RS6 instead and get it tuned. Look at Moscow Unlimited videos they are F***'N Nuts!!! I wanted a 997 TT or a Nice 996 TT and thats where the car seat did not fit!!! GTR's are big inside compared to Porsche's!!!

#8 ·
If your dead set on a Evo get a fully built 9.

If your dead set of a Evo X leave it 100% stock

If your smart go get a m3 or c63.

#13 ·
cool!!

I think you are talking sense as you defo wont be happy with a stock Evo X after driving round in a GTR.

I Don't know why people on here always try to steer people away from buying an X and suggest you buy a boring BMW or Audi???

Jap cars are a way of life!!

Cant wait to see what you decide to do... good luck!!

#16 ·
if youve got the money and it seems like you do...go ham on all these posers and get a cts v sedan...or even the wagon...thats what id do. the evo x is prone to problems. whens the last time you heard of someone modding their cts v and it blowing up. the car is already so fast why even bother with anything other than light mods.

cmon 560 crank hp...you cant really shake a stick at that.

#21 ·
Agreed, the CTS-V would get my money. I think you can even get kids into the back seat of the coupe.
Buddy of mine sold his Evo for a CTS-V. Honestly I didn't think it would be a fair trade going from AWD to such a power wagon with only RWD but my god is that thing a beast. If I traded my Evo for anything it would be a CTS-V. Family-oriented-grocery-go-getter, quiet, powerful, sexy and good gains. What else is there?

EDIT: Oh and the traction control works on it very very well. Not like the Evo but not so far off either.

#18 ·
Porsche Panamera Turbo. Little too pricey though...

I forgot about the CTS-V! Duh, the first car to take the Evo X's record, then later spanked by the Porsche Panamera. To those defending/supporting the Evo X for his goals... come on, be realistic. Stop putting the Evo on a pedestal. It's a bad ass rice box, it doesn't put out gobs of power reliably. There is no replacement for forced induction displacement.

#23 ·
I'm with the Evo fan boys. Have AMS build it with the 2.4l and dont push it to crazy limits. 450whp should be reliable with a built block. Look into Jack's transmissions to beef up the tranny and differential. The Evo is reliable if you build it properly. When I have the money and time I'm having AMS build and tune the car. I prefer everything to be done by one shop so there is only one finger being pointed if something breaks.

#24 ·
I prefer everything to be done by one shop so there is only one finger being pointed if something breaks.
I believe this is truly the trick. Besides if they are trusted, like AMS, MAP or SC then they should be providing some serious support for the full build cost.
The map warranty has about 3200 loopholes that deal directly with owners maint, Break in and specifically installation/assy :) you limit those loopholes by having one shop be responsible.

#25 ·
I had AMS build my engine and have all the AMS 900x parts. You need Shep or Jacks to do your Trans and transfercase. You also need a way to fuel your engine. AMS did not have a fueling solution when I did mine about 4 months ago, but was very helpful. You also will want to do some kind of suspension mods (I have Ohlin DFV's). Then I'm sure your stock wheels and tires will have to go. So after you have the car, you will need between 32-40 grand to finish her up. It will be reliable but not SUPER reliable. I would never daily drive mine but thats just me. I drive 150 miles a day.

#26 ·
omg...do not have ams build you a 2.4L anything...40 grand. are these people serious. really just go and get a cts-v you will be more than pleased with the performance of the vehicle. its much faster than a stock gtr...really i wouldnt trust ANY shop to execute a full engine, t-case, trans rebuild, new $25,000 turbo kit...it just makes no sense at that point you could have an m5 or better.

#27 ·
^ I totally agree with you.

I'm going on a year with my X and figured.... Eh, used parts here and there with a bit of cosmetic upgrades would be enough. Anymore power and this thing will lose it's already lacking reliability.

A co-worker bought a hennessy equip'd CTS-V and I'll say. THAT IS the route.

25k into a X that's 30k does not make sense to me either but it's called a hobby.

#28 ·
I'm not the type to WOT from stop light to stop light but do like to get thrown into the seat quite often. I wont be going to the strip or road course ever! This will be a car that may take me to the grocery or 2 hour trip to watch a sporting event. Hell maybe even drive to pick up my daughter 4 hours away. My final decision will be reliability vs hp!
You sir have 0 need for an Evo. Get an CTS-V wagon :+1:

#29 ·
So all of you think that the Evo 10 won't get to the point that you can daily drive it while having 600 whp?

That's a crock of shit. Look at all the 8 & 9's that do it.

All of you people saying that we will never be able to DD a 600 whp car, you need to shut up, cause that's just plain fuckin ignorant.

#32 · (Edited)
This thread is nuts. A 600whp evo that's reliable as a long-term family DD does not exist, period. You'll spend all the money you get for you GT-R to get a less reliable car with similar performance, and less luxury.... that has 2 extra doors. Sure, your kids will be able to get in/out a bit easier, but they wont want to get in. It'll be remarkable harsh, loud and uncomfortable. And you'll probably blow the engine every other year if your lucky. Anyone who says otherwise is a retarded fanboy. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth

CTS-V suggestion is good.... i really dig the wagon. Same engine is a ZR1 vette with an awesome suspension

E90 335i is also good. Get a 2009 with low miles for like $27k. That's the last year where they included the forged internals. For $5k in bolt-ons, you'll put down about 500whp reliably, in style, and while being comfortable. Add the Vishnu turbo when it comes out next month and you're looking at 700whp for the price of a 4b11t engine build.

edit - as much as i personally dislike the Porsche Panamera, it might be a decent bet for what you're looking for. Not so much a high power car, but still a great momentum car, which can be must as quick

#35 ·
This thread is nuts. A 600whp evo that's reliable as a long-term family DD does not exist, period. You'll spend all the money you get for you GT-R to get a less reliable car with similar performance, and less luxury.... that has 2 extra doors. Sure, your kids will be able to get in/out a bit easier, but they wont want to get in. It'll be remarkable harsh, loud and uncomfortable. And you'll probably blow the engine every other year if your lucky. Anyone who says otherwise is a retarded fanboy. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's the truth
Bullshit. That's it.

How do you KNOW that we will never be able to DD a reliable 600 whp Evo?

Let me know, cause I'm going to ask you what numbers I should use for the lottery since you can see the future.

#47 ·
WOW! I am more than shocked by most of the comments, but I do understand why most of them are anti Evo X high hp.

To all that suggest a CTS-V sedan, it doesnt have awd so it will never be an option. Very nice car with speed, style, and pleanty of comforts though.

Yall are really making me think that I should be looking at BMW and Audi. I've never like BMW's rep for having problems and have never even looked at any Audis. Just very shocking coming from those who own the Evo, not what I expected. I'm not disagreeing with any of you though as I really dont have any experience in an Evo to voice an alternate opinion.

Maybe after I talk to AMS they will tell me a lot of the same stuff as most of you all.

Thanks all!

#136 · (Edited)
WOW! I am more than shocked by most of the comments, but I do understand why most of them are anti Evo X high hp.

To all that suggest a CTS-V sedan, it doesnt have awd so it will never be an option. Very nice car with speed, style, and pleanty of comforts though.

Yall are really making me think that I should be looking at BMW and Audi. I've never like BMW's rep for having problems and have never even looked at any Audis. Just very shocking coming from those who own the Evo, not what I expected. I'm not disagreeing with any of you though as I really dont have any experience in an Evo to voice an alternate opinion.

Maybe after I talk to AMS they will tell me a lot of the same stuff as most of you all.

Thanks all!
youre getting advice from the wrong places.

stop thinking ams. think bigger for what you are trying to do in an evo. THEY ARE NOT by any means THE END ALL BE ALL OF SHOPS OR TUNERS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.