Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

How To: Logging Wideband AFR via Serial Connection (AEM UEGO)

201K views 116 replies 59 participants last post by  bdk408 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOW TO:
Logging Wideband AFR via Serial Connection (AEM UEGO)

Parts Needed:
- Wideband O2 that has a serial datastream output, such as an AEM UEGO

Tools Required:
  • Electrical Tape
  • Soldering Iron/Solder
  • Wire Strippers
  • Wire (I used 20 gauge)
  • Logging Ability - EvoScan, ATR, Whatever
  • Serial Cable (Unless your adapter is part of it)
  • Serial to USB Adapter with drivers

Recommended Number of People:
- 1 should do it, unless you want someone to hold your drink ;)

Difficulty:
- 2 out of 10 if you've soldered before

Time to Complete:
- Not long, but is entirely dependent on having the right parts and where they are in your car

End Results:
I posted a video some time ago that was supposed to sway a forum member towards buying an AEM UEGO. Ignore the "criteria/gauge" comments and just see how I have mine setup.

Step by Step Instructions:
0 - Order the necessary equipment. Check out Serial > USB Adapters Compatible with EvoScan to find a serial to USB adapter that works. I personally used the eBay one linked in the thread, because it was a cable/adapter all in one. However, I know that people have had the most success with the Keyspan adapter.

Understand what you're getting into. This is outlined in the instructions for your wideband (well, at least for the AEM UEGO).

We are connecting a serial output wire from the gauge to the serial cable. The serial cable also needs a chassis ground. This serial cable which has only two wires connected will plug into an adapter. This USB adapter will plug into your computer, because nobody in their right mind has a laptop with a serial connection anymore :p. From this, we will enable data logging through EvoScan or some other program.

Here are the instructions for the AEM UEGO. If you can understand this, then you don't need the how to, it's really that straightforward.

Basically, Serial Output (Blue wire) to pin #2 of the serial cable. Ground wire coming off of a nearby bolt to pin #5 of the serial cable. It's that simple.

1 - Install your gauge. I'll assume you've already done this and are looking to add on serial logging functionality.

2 - Solder an extension wire from the blue (serial output) wire of the gauge. This needs to be long enough to run to the glovebox.

Here's mine. My gauge is in the radio trim, so I ran the serial wire (green in the photo, a soldered extension off the blue AEM wire) from the radio, behind the passenger dash trim, and to the glovebox, leaving slack for movement.

3 - In the above picture, the black wire is connected to a chassis ground. I used a chassis ground from the passenger side. There is a bolt by your right foot if you were sitting in the passenger seat that is covered by a plastic clip thing. I simply threaded a spare nut onto that bolt and had a connector that had a wire soldered onto it placed underneath the nut. It doesn't have to be from here, it can be any chassis ground your heart desires.

I found a picture of the driver's side equivalent, but I obviously used the one on the passenger side.

4 - Solder the extended serial wire to pin two of the serial cable, and your new ground to pin 5. To make this easier, I cut off all the other pins so that I could get the soldering iron in position better. Tape up the serial cable so that it won't move around!

Male side of a serial plug with pinout

My Cable (Crappy eBay photo, but you can see that there is a male serial plug that has a USB adapter built in)

5 - If you're using a serial cable AND an adapter, plug the serial cable into the adapter.

6 - Install the drivers for your USB adapter

7 - Plug it in!

8 - In EvoScan:

At the top right in EvoScan, select Wideband (WDB). Select AEM UEGO. To determine the COM port being used, click Wideband -> Open Windows Device Manager. Find COM ports in the list and determine which one matches with your USB adapter. Select the appropriate COM number in EvoScan. Enable WDB (External WideBand A/F Ratio) in the Items to Data Log in EvoScan, and log away!

NOTE: If your AFRs are properly logged for a bit, then they stick on one number, it's probably an incompatible adapter. Check the thread linked at the start of this How To.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I know the DYNEX and PROLIFIC ... USB to Serial Cables work.

#3 ·
Here's another way of going about the Serial to USB conversion that bypasses having to use a serial cable adapter at all:

Another USB Option, that's even easier to use

1) Cut off the female section of the 4-pin extension cable (leave the male section of the connector alone - it plugs into the the dongle).
2) Connect the GREEN WIRE from the cable -> BLUE wire on the AEM GAUGE.
3) Connect the BLACK WIRE from the cable and TAP onto the BLACK wire from the AEM GAUGE (or just hook it up to the chassis).
4) Heat Shrink tube the electronics..

Note the ORIENTATION of the cable when plugging it into the dongle

If you follow this picture and positioned the dongle sideways, the black wire should be on top and the yellow on the bottom.

#6 ·
is this process the same with placing it in my existing OEM OBD-II position under the dash or only with like a tactrix cable. my goal is to have it so my tuner can just plug a tactrix cable into my OBD-II spot and be ready to go. sorry noob question. just like to know before i pull the trigger and attempt this

#8 ·
i know but i do not have a USB. i dont plan on ever tuning my car myself, i just want to make it easier so when i go to get tuned i dont have to crawl under the car to switch my wideband out for his since his is soldered. id rather do it this way i feel itd be easier and less time consuming when its time to get re-tuned

#9 ·
Just wanted to clarify on the ground wires connections:

Can you confirm there are two wires that need to be grounded?

First one coming from the AEM gauge (black wire).
Second one coming from Pin 5 and ground at the same location as where the black wire is.

#14 ·
can an adapter be made that plugs directly into the tactrix cable?

#20 ·
I have all of this done, but when I try to log I'm told my UEGO isn't connected to the ecu..

I'm assuming it's the white wire (0-5v output) as I'm pretty sure it wasn't connected when I had everything apart last night. How can I hook this up to the ecu though? Or can I hook it up some other way?

Really lost here. can't find anything on this. Thanks guys

#21 ·
if you have followed the directions above and soldered the wires and are still not getting it to log it is due to one simple fact.

At the top right in EvoScan, select Wideband (WDB). Select AEM UEGO. To determine the COM port being used, click Wideband -> Open Windows Device Manager. Find COM ports in the list and determine which one matches with your USB adapter. Select the appropriate COM number in EvoScan. Enable WDB (External WideBand A/F Ratio) in the Items to Data Log in EvoScan, and log away!

if it STILL doesn't work, check your solders. are you touching the metal on the side of the plug? are you running a known approved plug, ie staples brand? did you install the drivers?

#22 ·
I'm using ATR, should have mentioned that I guess. But I did manage to get the com port portion working. It recognized after I installed the driver for the plug.

I'm using a nexxtech cable, I hope that will work.. I can't see why it wouldn't anyway. The soldering is fine because I used a female to female serial to plug into the cable, so I just had to solder them into the holes itself, so there isn't any issue there.

#36 ·
The stand alone logger usually has enough resolution for a tune. I've worked with much less (cobb ap).

I wouldn't recommend it for an FP Red or Black, as things happen way too fast with those turbos. Stock turbos are slow enough that it doesn't matter.

#37 ·
So I'm at the point where all I need to do is connect the female db9 to the blue wire and a ground wire. I clipped a female db9 wore it has 4 wires black, red, brown, and a stripped wire no coloring (strange). My assumtion is red to blue and black to ground....but I don't know should I just remove the whole db9 so I cam see the back and the pinout or does it sound right?

#38 ·
Guys correct me if I'm off the mark with this, but so far it sounds like the install has only been set up for either

1. PC(Evoscan) with serial to USB connection logging; or
2. Standalone(Tactrix) style logging using serial to 2.5mm jack.

Theoretically, if you wired up the guage to a female to male serial adapter, could you then connect either one of these options at any time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.