Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Need Help Finding Transmission Plug NOW!! (SST)

17K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  jjkoebe 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am in the middle of trying to change my SST fluid. I'm trying to find the drain plug on top of the transmission. I already removed the battery and factory airbox but I can't tell which is the transmission fluid plug. Any RA/MR guys, please help ASAP!

Here is what I am looking at:

I already checked out the DIY but the picture of him undoing the drain bolt is too vague. Help please!!

Thanks guys.

It's the large Allen head plug on the top. See pics.

You will need an assortment of funnels as the opening is rather short and small. - pour slowly.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

Auto part Vehicle

Tools needed:
Jack, Jackstands or a lift.
Clip remover tool or a small flathead screwdriver
3/8 ratchet with 9 inches of extension
8mm allen head socket
10mm hex socket
32mm socket and 1/2inch ratchet
Drain pan
People needed: 1, or 2 if you leave your second drain pan out of reach
Parts needed:
2 gallons of diaqueen sst fluid=$150/gallon
1 oem filter=$150

Time=about 1.5hrs

1: Lift the front of the car and support it with jackstands, unless you have access to a lift.
2: Remove the center lower shield and the drivers lower shield. About 30 small clips pry up on the center button and they release. There are 2 10mm bolts on the drivers side to remove.

3: Locate the fill hole on top of the transmission, it is an 8mm allen. You will need the 9 inches of extension here. I undo this first to aid in the draining of fluid. It flows quicker and it doesn't gulp gulp on the way out making a mess. If you have a stock air box you will have to remove it.

4: Remove the three drain plugs, 8mm allen again. I started with the lowest one on the trans thinking it would have the most to drain, I was wrong. Each one had quite a bit in it. I tried catching all of the fluid to measure it. I caught over 5 qts and spilled about 2qts. The service manual says you need just under 6qts on a drain and fill, after doing this I don't agree.

5: Drain the cooler, this is not necessary but I opted to do it. Locate the lower hose on the cooler slide the clamp back and pull the line off.

6: Locate the OEM filter, it is on the drivers side, and twist off lefty loosey 32mm socket works very well but you can use a large crescent wrench in a pinch. Install new one righty tighty.

7: Reinstall removed drain plugs (27ft/lbs) and cooler hose with clamp.
8: Fill transmission from top fill hole. I used 7qts because thats what I removed.

9: Reinstall fill plug. Double check all of your work, i.e. all drain and fill plugs are torqued and the filter is tight. Also make sure your line is back on the cooler and the clamp is on and tight.
10: Start car and recheck for leaks. I put the car in gear but if you are only on two jackstands don't.
11: Reinstall the lower covers

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea I was staring at it the whole time of course. Figured it out about two minutes after this post. Typical. And pouring into it was a BITCH. Ended up pouring the diaqueen into a solo cup and then pouring that into the funnel.

College boy problem solving.

#4 ·
How often are you supposed to change this fluid? Also, what's the best brand to use? I have a friend that works at a local Firestone and he did my 30,000 mile fluid changes, but I'm thinking he probably didn't do this.

#7 ·
probably not :( its about $400+ (300 in fluids min and 100ish for the filter)

Brands: Diaqueen SST-F or SSP Pro Stuff

#8 ·
Daaaaamn. Well thanks for the info Navy. Must be liquid titanium or something

#16 ·
Why the hell is this sticky'd?
Probably a drunk forum admin if I had to guess.

It does not mention the thread size of the filler bolt and the drainage bolt. I need this information to correct order my plumbing.
Take the top one out and measure (iirc it's ~ a 14-16mm thread). it's not a tapered (pipe) thread - it's a normal thread with a sealing surface on it - just like the oil pan drain plug. And it's not an AN fitting.

What plumbing? Tell me more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.