Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Clutch & Master cylinder upgrade recomendations

48K views 169 replies 76 participants last post by  Rickytishy08evoX 
#1 ·
Everyday I get several questions about which clutch someone should get and whether or not their clutch master cylinder will survive. Until recently I've recommended the Spec 3+ and the ClutchMaster FX400 (4 and 6 puck).

However here recently I have been helping several members on here deal with technical issues regarding their Spec clutches and they haven't received the best service. To be fair in a some of the cases it was obvious that install error was the culprit for the issues but Spec made a lot of errors in handling the situation BEFORE they knew that to be the cause. Also even when they did find out it was a manufacturing error on their part the service was lacking professionalism.

So that being said I made a few phone calls trying to figure out a solution for a replacement clutch that could match what the Spec 3+ can do and ClutchMaster has a disk for our cars that can fill that void. Also with the ClutchMaster single friction disk setup's you more than likely won't have to upgrade your master cylinder due to the fact they have a better design on their pressure plate fulcrum points than the other companies. You know what I mean if you ever jump from a a car running an Exedy to one running a ClutchMaster or spec there is a big difference in actuation pressure.

Now with the CM twin clutch you will have to upgrade your stock MC, there is just no way around that. However with the single disk set ups maybe only 1 out of 8 of you will have an issue and destroy your MC. This can be due to several factors though that go beyond actuation pressure. Cold / Hot weather can play a part in destroying masters as well so depending on where you live you may want to think about swapping it out.

So I am going to leave my recommendations pretty basic here.

1) For you spirited driver dedicated drag racer types who love to launch your car every chance you get you'll need the FX400 (4 puck) Part# 05-110-HDCB4

2) If your a weekend warrior track junkie that loves to road race and occasionally hit the drag strip and launch the piss out of your car you'll want the FX400 (6 puck) Part# 05-110-HDCB6

3) For those of you who love a daily driving feel yet love auto X and don't want to give up performance for drive-ability this is your clutch. This is what I would run now if I were to switch back from my twin. The FX400 Segmented full face disk. (This disk will also last the longest out of the singles if not abused) Part# 05-110-HDCBL

4) Now for anyone rocking over 500whp this is what you'll need to put the power down and not have to switch every few thousand miles. This clutch actually has a very minimal actuation pressure just like the others and doesn't chatter like other twin disks. Also not a widely known fact but the friction disks on this clutch come with nearly double the material of the competition. The fiber tuff and ceramic disks in the CM 850 Twin are 6+mm thick where the others come around 4mm and need replaced by 3mm. They justify the lack of friction material by telling you it's for less rotating mass and better high rpm shifts. I shift at 8500 with mine and have no issues at all so believe what you want :innocent: Part# 05-110-B-TD6.5 (Various disk configurations)

http://www.maperformance.com/mitsub...clutch-components-clutch-kits-clutch-masters/

Now once you pick your clutch and you want an upgraded CMC or your just worried about the stock one going don't bother with wasting money on a band-aid get this and save yourself multiple re-install issues and tow bills.

http://www.maperformance.com/magnus...r-upgrade-evo-x-magnus-evo-x-cmc-upgrade.html

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the links sir! For those that are interested in any of these products keep in mind that we will not be beat in regards to price :)

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks man! Great writeup hugely helpful!

Hollywood. Would you not recommend launching on the The FX400 Segmented full face disk? I'd like something I can launch occasionally, but not like all the time, but I want to go out and drag I don't want to have to worry about killing my clutch. Moreover, I also want something that will be good on the track / auto x. Probably a clutch equally good for drag/track?

#35 ·
haha i will say the exedy twin disc does get quite annoying for being stuck in traffic for hour and half with stop and go traffic, but oh well you get used to it after a while! and im on about 22k miles on my exedy twin disc with about 30+ launches and i DD the car and take it 500 miles to vacation and back! having it rebuilt soon though while my tranny is at shep/jacks

#36 ·
I daily drive my car and do some AutoX and track. Im at around 360whp.
Should I get the Spec 3+ or FX400?

On the CM website, I cant seem to find the FX400 full face disk, how come?

#37 ·
Because it's a new design and they haven't updated the site in FOREVER :duh:
Like I mentioned above avoid Spec at this point until they can get their customer service issues sorted out. If you take this Part# 05-110-HDCBL and contact MAPerformance Chris or Nate can get it for you. :shades:

#41 ·
meh..... I've done it several times in Friday evening traffic driving from NJ to NoVa several times. Its not a big deal if you get used to it. It was hard in the beginning though, no doubt about it. The pedal has got a bit softer as well over time.

#42 ·
Hollywood, i am in the market for a clutch and am thinking about a twin. You said that the CM twin has "very minimal actuation pressure" but you still recommend going with the upgraded CMC, "there is just no way around that". Do all twin disks need upgraded CMC?

#43 ·
It's a roll of the dice really, the CM twin take less actuation pressure than an Exedy single does, and there are people running those without issue. However it just takes the one time of blowing it out and needing a tow home or to the shop at and installing it ahead of time pays for itself plus some. Be the guy to try it an let the rest of us know though, it might just work out.

#44 ·
I'm trying to figure out which would have the best daily drivability but still very drag capable. I would like to drag occasionally, but would like to spend most time on the track or auto x. Which of the 3 would you recommend? Twin disk is too expensive.

#46 ·
You would want to go for the 6 puck or the segmented full face style. For you I would lean more in the direction of the segmented though.

Its not the price of the CMC, its the amount of work to install it haha. I know you wrote up a nice how-to, but i have not heard one person say anything good about the install haha. There is not decent shop around where i live, so i end up doing all the work myself. Last winter was the first time i did a turbo swap, ended up being pretty easy.
The amount of work is why I suggest doing it while you have the tranny out doing the clutch. At that point all the miscellaneous BS is out of the way. Then it just a matter of dropping the brake booster and doing some grinding.

The problem other have had with the install is they attempt to do it without removing all the items in their way. Lets say I wanted to change the bulb in my headlight, the easy way is to pop the hood and move the wiring right? Lets say popping the hood is just a pain so instead I remove the bottom plastic and try doing the light bulb change from under the car. Not a real great way of going about doing that is it? Neither is changing your MC with a brake booster in the way or your air intake and what not.

#48 ·
I think I might try the Clutch Master twin Disc when I upgrade to my FP Black. I guess I have to get the other Clutch thing too. I see there are different versions of the twin disc, which one to buy ... Hmm..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.