Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

TurboXS Bellmouth Downpipe

20K views 102 replies 43 participants last post by  dylphill85 
#1 · (Edited)
TurboXS Bellmouth Downpipe *Pictures added

Anyone using this piece. Comments, concerns? Seems like good pricing for this.

Got pics!

See less See more
#8 ·
The Evo X Bellmouth Front Pipe! Designed to be the “be-all and end-all” of EVO X Front Pipes. CAD Modeled for superior performance from the stock turbocharger to the Forced Performance Bolt-on BLACK and beyond, this is the last Front Pipe you will ever need. The huge cast stainless steel Bellmouth has a 5.2 inch entry and smoothly tapers down to a 3 inch mandrel bent 304 stainless steel pipe. Built with a stout and smooth flowing flex section, the pipe is designed to last a lifetime. Even includes an extra bung for your wideband oxygen sensor and mounting lugs for the stock heat shields. If you are looking for the ultimate in downpipe design for your EVO X, look no further!
Here's another picture I found:

Don't want to break any forum links by posting any links, but it goes for low 300

#9 ·
Hahaha, I knew about this sucker a couple months ago. AMS got some 'splainin' to do!

#12 ·
We'll see.

What could have happened was they both used the same supplier and AMS's contract for exclusivity to market ran out.

#11 ·
more like a replica of the AMS one rather than the other way around.

#14 · (Edited)
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say. It's hard not to see something like this and point the finger at TurboXS for directly copying our product but like most copies its not as good as the original. I can tell just by looking at it that its nowhere near the same quality. First and foremost ours is cast not just pre-flex pipe but post as well. In addition it looks like instead of casting a piece to go all the way to the flex joint they stopped short and welded in a little jumper pipe there. That's not the best way to go about things but maybe they were changing juuuuust enough to get around any potential legal repercussions. Either way its sad.

Here however is the real kicker and how I can say without a doubt this is a copied piece. The two threaded bosses on the head of the AMS widemouth downpipe were placed there for a heat sheild we were designing. They don't bolt up to anything other than what we are making here in house. I guess TurboXS was planing on copying that too. Again this is just from a quick glance... I am sure once I got to see one up close the differences would be even more apparent.

Its a real shame when a company can't innovate its own products and instead introduces an inferior piece to pollute the market and confuse consumers.

We are not concerned though as if there is one thing we know about our customers and the EVO X community in general is that they won't settle for inferior products on their prized AWD possessions.

Eric Gaudi
Sales Manager
AMS Performance

#23 ·
The two threaded bosses on the head of the AMS widemouth downpipe were placed there for a heat sheild we were designing. They don't bolt up to anything other than what we are making here in house.
Ahh.. that explains it. I always wondered what they were for. I double checked my stock stuff and nothing bolted up in those locations.

Side note: I run the AMS DP. I love it. And it's packaging was killer. Plywood block and zip tied down. :nerd:

#15 · (Edited)
I highly doubt that. AMS had these prototypes out for a long time before customers ever saw the actual piece. If I was a betting man....they just bought an AMS DP, had it 3D scanned....and copied it..period. Hence why it just came out recently. If you want the best...stick with the company that came out with it, and tested it, over and over, on actual track cars.

That's just my 2 cents.

#16 ·
Ah ha!

Those pictures suck. Would be nice to see them both in person to see where TurboXS cheaped out, copied, etc. Good to know it wasn't from another supplier.

#25 ·
For further clarification here is the C.A.D. drawing from when we started the project back in May... of 2008

http://amsperformance.com/amsperformanceimages/2/P0113A%20Housing%20-%20Evo%20X%20O2%20Stock%20Turbo.JPG[IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

out of curiosity (since I'm in the field), do you guys do CAD / modeling work in house or do you contract that work out?

#26 ·
This is what happens when you maintain a high price to long. You welcome competition and give them time to catch up. Had the price slowly been tapered downward then the incentive to replicate would be lessened.

#31 ·
This is why its just sickening to see companies like rota...copy everyones wheel designs and other companies such as company x and y makes Do Luck replicas that are inferior to the real thing in every aspect. There's a million other examples but you catch my drift....bleh

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.