9K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  EvoXenoN 
#1 ·
Finally found time to take a few pics!

blacked out headlights w/ ZKW-R Clear Lenses

TWM Performance Short Shifter w/ AMS bushings

TWM Short Shifter w/ Redline Goods shift boot/ Blox shift knob

See less See more
#2 ·
love the car... what wheels are thoughts?

#15 ·
These lenses are a lot clearer than the stock ones. Had the headlight unit apart already so took the extra time to swap the lenses out. I thought it was worth it, but everyone's got their own opinion.

that blacked out headlight look is smoking! (congrats)
did you use the how-to on here or another one?
I researched on both this site and evom.

#13 ·
Finally found time to take a few pics!

blacked out headlights w/ ZKW-R Clear Lenses

Finally someone takes my advice on ZKW-Rs :clap:
Post some pixs of your new output. Did you take any before shots?

Stay tuned for another Octane Blue CZ with custom headlights and multi coloured projectors :thumbup:

#14 ·
that blacked out headlight look is smoking! (congrats)
did you use the how-to on here or another one?

#21 ·
great info. thanks again for sharing.

right.. off to the kitchen to bake me some headlights for Easter.

#27 ·
Gonna be a rebel here, but it's all opinion, and I have mine. I personally think the blackouts make you look more ricey, and more likely to get pulled over. Not to mention why would you want less light at night???

Sorry. But the drop looks great :)

#28 ·
Gonna be a rebel here, but it's all opinion, and I have mine. I personally think the blackouts make you look more ricey, and more likely to get pulled over. Not to mention why would you want less light at night???

Sorry. But the drop looks great :)

Blacking out is merely fixing up an OEM flaw. So do you think black OEM VIIIMR headlights are "ricey" (term from the 90's)???

Less light:
YES, if you paint the DRL housing black it will hinder the intensity of the output. But the halogen DRL housing is a useless light source anyway. I dont know why Mitsubishi even incorporated it into a SSS headlight in the first place. The HID BiXenon projector in its low and high beam format has so much light intensity that it over shadows the halogen DRL output regardless if its chrome or blacked out. Its an absolute useless housing.
Even painting the chrome housing around the projector has little to no effect on light ouput. Remember its the chrome reflector bowl inside the projector that dictates how the light is spread.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc356/iEvoVII/DSC02664.jpg
Also something you probably didnt know, the chrome lines to the left and bottom of the projector opening are there to diffuse / soften the light. Painting them black makes f**k all difference.

If you can see a significant difference in the light output of a blacked out SSS headlight vs a stock SSS headlight you must have better vision than superman.

Your comment about ricey headlights is your opinion. I understand its a personal preference thing but the comment about less light, I just kicked for a field goal.

#29 ·
Painting over the lens with any color but clear, by the laws of physics, will provide less light. Now, how noticeable is it? Don't know. I guess I'd have to see them side by side to tell?

#30 ·
what spring? eibach or h&r ?

#33 ·
I got so tired of explaining on evom that the lens itself wasn't painted I quit trying to explain it. I really wonder if some people just don't look at pictures or just can't comprehend things :/

#34 ·
Yea, so maybe I'm not understanding this. I thought this blacked out process actually was a change to the lens color. My bad. So explain exactly what causes the "blackout" ??

#35 ·
Painting the chrome housing black is what causes the blackout. You remove all the lights and components from the headlight assembly and bake the lens off in the oven. Then you paint the chrome black and reinstall the projectors, halogens, etc. then put on the clear lens. Since the HIDs are projectors, they do not need a chrome housing to reflect the light.

#38 ·
Sigh... "exhibit B" has joined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.