Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

What Transmission Fluid Are You Using?

40K views 58 replies 30 participants last post by  GSRxJordans 
#1 ·
I hope this is not a repost and I think it would be helpful to everyone if we had a specific thread pertaining to transmission fluids used and everyone's personal experience and reviews on their fluids.

My Evo just recently hit 17k miles and I changed the transmission fluid to a cocktail that my friend recommended to me and I'm not satisfied with the results. Both of us used 2quarts of Redline MT90 and 1quart of MTL.

Now for me, my car has always had issues shifting, especially 1-2, 2-3 during a cold start. The car would either grind if I shifted too quickly or be notchy. I would baby it until after it became warm, it would shift well, but I could still feel the notchiness somewhat.

Since my switch to the cocktail fluids, my car takes literally at least 10-20 minutes of highway driving for it to warm up. I baby shift and double clutch it when it's a cold start and driving through the city for 30 minutes literally improves little to nothing. I will say that once it is FULLY warmed up, it shifts like butter, I could not be happier. But I do NOT want to make this a necessity in order for me to enjoy shifting in my car and frankly I'm getting really irritated.

My friend however is a different story, his car takes less than 5 minutes to warm up, and shifts like butter afterwards. No issues. I'm considering taking my car to the dealership to have them check it out and fix it and this would be the second time I would have asked them too since I first bought my car around a year ago. Back then I took my car to them and they told me that the grinding was not serious enough for them to take the transmission apart. Now that I changed the fluids, I'm worried that they may either switch back to the OEM fluid and charge me, or void my warranty. I realize that the Redline fluids are heavier and it's normal to take longer to warm up, but this is ridiculous and the fact that my friend's Evo warms up in 5 minutes is pissing me off.

I just recently ordered the AMS underhood shifter bushings and are curious if this will help solve my shifting issues.
I'm also considering changing my fluids again, but not sure what to change it too. If anyone has any reviews on what fluids you used and your reviews, good or bad, I'm sure we'd all like to listen.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
For a reference point for you:

Changed to AMSOIL 75w90 at 1000 miles; hated the stocker. Was decent, but felt it took far too long to warm up.

Changed to 2 MTL 1 MT90 @ around 8k miles; been driving on it since. I like it a lot better than the AMSOIL. Takes about ~5 minutes to warm up, and really, it feels very akin to "AMSOIL warmed up" right off the bat.

Personally, I wouldn't bother going back to the dealer; all they're going to do is be painful. They're either going to fuck with your fluids, go back to OEM (which blows), or just fuck with your warranty for even coming in. They're not going to tear into your transmission to check clearances, or anything of that nature.

I'm waiting for John Shepherd or Buschur to release their "staged" transmissions, like that have for the 4G63 cars. I had the Street-Strip version on an Evo 8, from Shep, and loved it. It looks like TRE already has a "Stage X" rebuild kit out, that does some neat tricks (plus touches upon the center diff issues), but I need someone local; ain't gonna be sending in my transmission. Thankfully, BR and Shep are close :D

From Shep's site, here's the Evo8/9 details of Street-Strip:

• New 3rd gear synchro
  • New 1-2 shifting sleeve
  • New 2nd gear synchro
  • New 1st gear synchro
  • New 4th gear synchro
  • New 3-4 shifting sleeve
  • New 5th gear synchro
  • New 5-R shifting sleeve
  • New seals , shims and snap rings
  • New 3-4 fork
  • New input shaft bearings
  • New high strength roll pins
  • New Reverse synchro
  • New 1,2,3,4,5,R synchro springs
  • Neodymium magnet
I have a feeling a similar process could be done for the X, making it stronger and, ya know, not blow dick. Our transmission is the result of a company focused on selling an SST, IMHO.

#3 ·
For a reference point for you:

Changed to AMSOIL 75w90 at 1000 miles; hated the stocker. Was decent, but felt it took far too long to warm up.

Changed to 2 MTL 1 MT90 @ around 8k miles; been driving on it since. I like it a lot better than the AMSOIL. Takes about ~5 minutes to warm up, and really, it feels very akin to "AMSOIL warmed up" right off the bat.

Personally, I wouldn't bother going back to the dealer; all they're going to do is be painful. They're either going to fuck with your fluids, go back to OEM (which blows), or just fuck with your warranty for even coming in. They're not going to tear into your transmission to check clearances, or anything of that nature.

I'm waiting for John Shepherd or Buschur to release their "staged" transmissions, like that have for the 4G63 cars. I had the Street-Strip version on an Evo 8, from Shep, and loved it. It looks like TRE already has a "Stage X" rebuild kit out, that does some neat tricks (plus touches upon the center diff issues), but I need someone local; ain't gonna be sending in my transmission. Thankfully, BR and Shep are close :D

From Shep's site, here's the Evo8/9 details of Street-Strip:
  • New 3rd gear synchro
  • New 1-2 shifting sleeve
  • New 2nd gear synchro
  • New 1st gear synchro
  • New 4th gear synchro
  • New 3-4 shifting sleeve
  • New 5th gear synchro
  • New 5-R shifting sleeve
  • New seals , shims and snap rings
  • New 3-4 fork
  • New input shaft bearings
  • New high strength roll pins
  • New Reverse synchro
  • New 1,2,3,4,5,R synchro springs
  • Neodymium magnet
I have a feeling a similar process could be done for the X, making it stronger and, ya know, not blow dick. Our transmission is the result of a company focused on selling an SST, IMHO.
Thank you very much for this information. So you recommend 2quart MTL and 1quart MT90? I've heard nothing but good reviews on this cocktail.
I also heard good things about just straight MT90, although I doubt it would be any better than what I have.
What if I were to switch to straight MTL?

#4 ·
I did the 2 MTL 1 MT90 based on reviews I read here. Someone else may have tried the straight MT90.

As for switching to straight MTL, you'd be losing the top end viscosity rating; at least now we're "mixing" for a closer to OEM blend, albeit it with a non-shitty oil ;)

I guess my suggestion is to try it; hell, I'd have a hard time believing it could HURT. As you've shown, our transmissions tend to be different; your friend is running the same blend, and warms up faster? Maybe a straight MTL would work better for you.

#5 ·
I just switched to 2q MTL and 1q MT90 and I absolutely love it. I wish I went with this cocktail in the first place. As soon as I finished changing the fluid, I went for a drive and no grinding and notchiness. It still does it occasionally when I'm shifting at lower revs but during normal driving it's smooth as butter.
Thanks very much!

G
#6 ·
I use transmission literally! This is something that has to be looked over while you are looking into the car.An automatic transmission creates a lot of internal heat through friction. If you can't find it, keep looking. Dirt could get into your transmission and..For optimum protection, change the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles.

#8 ·
I been using Redline fluids for a long time now in various Mitsubishi's.

If you go with a thicker blend like 2 MT90 and 1 MTL, it will provide more protection in racing conditions or very high heat environments (TX, AZ, etc...).

If you live more up north going with a blend of 2 MTL and 1 MT90 should be ideal, provide ample protection and quick warm-up.

Going straight MT-90 would be only for racing use...
Going straight MTL would be for use in light daily driving, instant warm-up, and use in cold temperatures.

#15 ·
It depends on the car, like hotdog said, each transmission is different. My friend ran 2 MT90 1MTL and doesn't have any problems. It warmed up quickly and was consistent. It didn't work the same for mine. It took forever to warm up even though it was smooth afterwards. I switched over to 2MTL and 1MT90 and love it. It warms up a little quick than stock and has almost an identical feel to it when warmed up.

I think this is probably the best blend since it is in the middle. Good protection and quick warm up. I haven't had any problems with it so far, although I may try my old cocktail again next time I change the fluid.

#21 ·
i honestly know nothing about tranny fluid, glad i came across this thread... so real quick, what u guys recommend for me down here in hawaii? no track days, just spirited driving/DD.

gonna hit up amazon to order i guess.

#28 ·
Ok, see, this is confusing as shit lol

Every tranny fluid thread says cocktail to get close to stock fluid but from lancershop it shows "OEM EVO X Diaqueen GL-3 SAE 75W-80 Mitsubishi fluid" for Evo X 5 spd.

Now isn't Redline MTL that same weight? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50204-Transmission-Transaxle/dp/B000CPCBEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385513839&sr=8-1&keywords=redline+mtl[/ame]

Why would you want to cocktail anything? Why not go straight MTL unless when you race?

#27 ·
JacksTransmissions recommends using the OEM 2006 MR Tranny fluid from Mitsu. Has any one run this on the X? Its supposed to have more friction modifiers. My 1-2 shift has felt notchy since i drove it off the lot with 5 miles on the ODO. Creeping up on 20k now and want to change the tranny fluid. Considering the 06 MR fluid from Mitsu

#31 · (Edited)
I am planning to change from OEM to Red Line MT85. Have an appointment for Dec 23 to get it done, and also install AMS under-hood bushings while I am at it (cold weather shifts are becoming real rough).
BTW, you don't need cocktail or schmocktail - it's OLD news. Just need MT85. It is exactly the same thing as 2xMTL + 1x MT90, just productized by Red Line, relatively recently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.