Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Stance LX+ Coilover Review (Ultimate Guide to Stance)

14K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  raytrix 
#1 · (Edited)
Are you tired of the same old boring stock look.......

What do you look for when you want to go lower on your ride? Do you look for performance? Do you look for comfort? Do you look for looks? Affordability? Looking to go so low that none of your friend’s coilover brands can ever go that low unless you’re on air bags? Well if you want a little of everything mentioned above, look no further my fellow Evo X’ers Stance has came out with a phenomenal product that not only slams your ride in style but it also absorb bumps like fat chick jumping on a therapeutic memory foam bed.
Introducing the Stance LX+

As advertised from the website’s pie chart, this coilover is clearly aiming for the kind of people that like to not spend a lot on a coilover, have a built quality that is equally backed up by their excellent customer service, comfortable without being harsh like other coilovers are, gives the ability to slam as low as you want, and stiff enough to hit those apex’s with ease.

Some key features that makes this coilover better than the competition:
-The design of the lower bracket positioning and the slots in the holes are designed clearly for clearing very wide wheels/tires and allowing maximum chamber adjustment (up to -4 degree camber up front)
-Height is adjusted by the lower bracket assembly, which is the entire lower body is thread and a free spinning cylinder is rotated to adjust the height. What this mean? Your height does not affect the load on the spring as some coilover do where they are adjusted by the spring collar for height adjustment. The lower bracket rotates up and down the shock body for height adjustability.
-Aluminum collar and upper mounts help reduce the possibility of thread binding overtime and are less prone to corrosion
-Pillow ball upper mount with adjustable camber mounts up top for ultimate adjustability and flexibility with your setup.
-Top mounted 15 way adjustable damper dial. For the rear you can get the extenders for it so you don’t have to tear your trunk wall apart to get to the adjuster dial.

On to the experience:

When I think about coilovers I think about race cars and their super stiff ride. But when I got these Stance LX+, they weren’t joking when they said that these coilovers are there “Luxury” line of coilovers. When I rode on them initially I could not believe that I was riding on a suspension that was near stock feeling and sometimes more comfortable than before. Dampening was set at the middle from the stock get go which was right around half stiff and half forgiving. When I adjusted the dials to full soft, man are they plush and when I put them on full hard they feel very sharp on the turns and the response is increased greatly. It took me a week before I found the sweet spot for my style of driving. 13 front 10 rear. I love how the damper is adjusted at the top vs the bottom like some competitors coilovers aren't.

The LX+ eat up small bumps like they are non-existent and as for large bumps they are predictable (same experience as if you’re on stock struts). I’ve written on these LX+ for around 5-6k miles and so far no defects to report. Everything seems very solid built wise, no creeks or rattles.

Slamability, if you can see the first set of pictures, those are my initial drop when I first got the LX+ installed. It looked so awesome and hugged the road like no other but due to my small ramp on the garage exit, I had to increase the height by a inch to clear it. The initial drop was 2.75” from stock. Current height now is 1.75”.

If you’re looking for something to take the track often I would not recommend these as they are more for a daily driver or weekend auto-x nothing too crazy like full on track events. The spring rates on these are 9k Front and 8k Rear and the valving is exactly valved for this application. You can ask for stiffer springs or custom valving for the product through Stance-USA or Touge Factory. Remember everything can be custom made to order.
If you want something that is track worthy and affordable you can get Stance GR+ Pro.
If you want something that gets you track times that’ll make your local GTR look like a Fischer Price on the road, get their New Stance GR+ 2 way or 3 way which allows for dampening and rebound adjustability with the 3 way having high and low compression adjustability. Both has external reservoir for dampening adjustability and both has high quality SWIFT springs. SS-D (special valving) application can be asked for all GR+ coilover product line.

Final thoughts:
Affordable high quality coilovers that can’t be beat. Mike at Touge Factory has a ton of experience with coilovers in all sorts of applications (Evo’s especially) and he can recommend you a coilover that is based on your needs and priority. Mine was luxurious comfort but with the ability to slam with best yet retain drivability. Luckily Touge Factory is also an official Whiteline vendor so I scooped up a set of Whiteline RCK which is a must if you’re going lower than 1”.
Thanks Mike from Touge Factory for setting me up with the proper coilover.

Teaser pic of my latest project.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice review I really like how the stance coilovers look and the drop is awesome I might have to invest in a set when that time comes.

#4 ·
Car looks so good! Nice write-up!

#5 ·
One thing I do give props to Stance for is not claiming these are track coilovers. They flat out admit in that little graph that these are essentially aesthetic in nature with the odd HPDE or Auto-X thrown in. Looks good, and if I were into the whole stance movement these seem like a good choice. Nice review.

#6 ·
Great info. Might have to look into these. Sort of torn. Seems to cover all my bases. Whats the price like??

#9 ·
This reads like a GD Sham Wow infomercial.

#11 ·
I would love to replace my coils with something a little less jarring. My pssengers get tired of bouncing around the back. I would like something that doesn't cause me to launch out of my seat on the freeway when hitting an uneven grade. Stock Bilsteins just soaked up uneven pavement leaving tires incontact with the road and me poised in my seat. Any recomendation for me?

#12 ·
I would love to replace my coils with something a little less jarring. My pssengers get tired of bouncing around the back. I would like something that doesn't cause me to launch out of my seat on the freeway when hitting an uneven grade. Stock Bilsteins just soaked up uneven pavement leaving tires incontact with the road and me poised in my seat. Any recomendation for me?
Go back to stock Bilsteins?

#14 ·
AMR. Great suspension for high speed. Not the greatest for San Francisco driving or some of the back roads I go on.

#17 ·
I would suggest going back to the stock Bilstein and use Swift Spec R springs.

The SF roads are not to be taken lightly - I sometimes feel like I need an off road vehicle for some of the roads. You can try the HKS Hipermax 3 street and run with the dampening all the way down. They were pretty comfortable and road noise is same as stock. The H&R coilovers are stiffer but I'm willing to bet softer than the AMR set up.

As for the Stance LX+... I would avoid pillowball mounts like the plague on a street car. They all make noise. Everything from Megan to Ohlins upper mounts will clunk.

#18 ·
Z K, that's good info. Looks like I'll need to get some swift springs and try it out. Love the AMR's when I'm in the car alone and on days I want to drive the car in a fun way. However, day to day driving is just harsh.

#20 ·
Hotdog, my powertrain is untouched. I feel the car is already quick for the street. I also like the peace of mind that i have a warranty in case something should fail, which in my case the SST was starting to go. What I enjoy most out of cars is handling. I usually like to tighten up the suspension for sharper steering response. However, once the warranty is up, I plan to get a few more ponies out of the motor.

#23 ·
There usually is some sort of rubber/urethane bushing in the top of the strut mount. The strut has a bearing in this as well which allow the smooth operation of the strut when you turn the wheels. The bushing soaks up some of the road vibrations and is able to "deflect? a bit of the harsh steering feedback, thus loosing some feel of connection with the road. This set up is on most stock suspended cars. Camber angles are not very adjustable with this set up.

A "pillow ball" is basically a spherical insert (think kinda like a ball and socket) which replaced the rubber/urethane bushing. No instead of having a semi soft bushing you have a hard steel pivot. With this set up the pillow ball can't deflect any of the vibrations or steering feedback and you tend to get a more direct feel of the road. Camber is also easier adjusted.

#25 ·
Yes, no noise that I know of. If there's any, my exhaust would of drowned it out. But if there is noise as stated with metal on metal with socket and ball layout then it's typical of all designs using pillowball. It probably is a trade off between adjustablility and direct feel vs full on comfort. Maybe only those that are bothered by console rattles are the same kind of people that can't stand little suspension noises. But I guess if your not bother by those kind of noises then it's all good.

#27 ·
Bilstein + swift springs will fit you more if your in constant DD with pot holes. But later down the road I bet you would want to move on to coilovers because of the wheel gap that you still retain from dropping on springs. However if your area is really really bad and you go through lots of salty winter, stick with Bilstein and lower springs.

Update, currently my new Stance GR+ 2 way system is so awesome. 10 times more stiffer and very flat on the turns. I've gain a lot of confidence on my high speed turns now. Having the extra adjustable compression unit is a plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.