Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Ohlins..understeer. Ideas?

8K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  dkevox 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a set of Ohlins DFVs. I autoxd saturday and I could NOT get the back end to come around at all. I only experienced understeer no matter what setting the rear shock absorbers were or the front and no matter the tire pressure correlation. I decided to take the Whiteline RSB to full stiff today. I still could not get the car to oversteer..only understeer. Spring rates are 450 in front and 500 in rear from Ohlins. Any ideas on how to get it to come around? Rear camber is -1 and front is -2.5. Dunlop star specs 245/40/18.
Any input would be great.

#2 · (Edited)
Were you running TC off/off? During autox were you going in to hot? You can make anything push if you don't plant the front end.

#4 · (Edited)
Given every thing you tried... you shouldn't have big understeer problems.. You sure you weren't just overcooking into the corners and plowing?

Also, if you run TC 1 off (not off off) the AYC Brake will kick in and help you rotate and prevent understeer. Nevertheless, at the same time, if you need to run 1 off to stop understeer you're probably over driving the car into the corners.

I'm experimenting with both. Some japanese pro driver video online showed the 1 off setting had better times on a small course than off off. Nevertheless, at the same time, I'd prefer to be a good driver than have the car fix my driving for me.

#5 ·
Given every thing you tried... you shouldn't have big understeer problems.. You sure you weren't just overcooking into the corners and plowing?

Also, if you run TC 1 off (not off off) the AYC Brake will kick in and help you rotate and prevent understeer. Nevertheless, at the same time, if you need to run 1 off to stop understeer you're probably over driving the car into the corners.

I'm experimenting with both. Some japanese pro driver video online showed the 1 off setting had better times on a small course than off off. Nevertheless, at the same time, I'd prefer to be a good driver than have the car fix my driving for me.
Hmmm. I've always felt like the car won't rotate with 1 off. I'm no pro but I turn better times in autox running off/off...same with tracking. But, I always set the front end then throttle on. I just remember the Randy Probst mantra--smoother is faster.

#7 ·
I'm way more prone to oversteer running R1's vs Star Specs

#9 ·
Also, 245's are WAY too skinny for these heavy cars. You gotta run at least a 265 on some sticky rubber.

#13 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have a small access road that leads to a loop that i can test my settings on. I turned the light reflectors into slaloms lol and used the end as a skid pad. I would start slow on the "skid pad" and power on with TC off/off and just 1 off. Wouldn't come around. I wasn't over driving at that point. When trying to slalom the yellow lines, it acted as if it the rear wanted to break free, but then the front would push. A friend "racecar driver" for a living. Recommended I try front and rear at medium stiffness on shocks with rear at full stiff still and a few more psi in the rear. He think's it's just me getting used to the new setup. Is -2.5 camber front and -1.0 camber rear good or maybe more? Or maybe it's just me needing to get used to it. But i Cannot for the life of me get the back to come around. I could with stock suspension and rear sway at medium stiff.

#14 ·
Before I went to -2.75 in the front I had to inflate the rears 8-10 psi higher to get it to rotate. That was also a trick I learned from a racer friend. I never had to stiffen the coilovers in the rear on the X but it worked on my old G35.

#15 ·
That is not a suspension problem, it is a set up problem.
Try to get a softer front stiffer back an a higher rack for the car. Step by step.

#18 ·
Not being a smart a$$ but did you mean "rake"?
I have the out of box Ohlins springs. My buddy said they are a little soft in his opinion. May get custom rates soon. I tried softer front and stiffer rear, but with no success. I'm not trying to get a RWD drift going lol I just added the RSB with the stock suspension and it stepped out pretty nice and kinda got used to that and used to that driving style. I'm working on fixing ME rather than fixing the car set up at this point. I race again in a week, so we shall see how well i have improved
Annndddd. The front tires have about half the tread of the rears, just noticed that when it was up in the air. :innocent: oops lol so that may account for some of the rear grip and lack of grip in the front. Rotated fronts to rear and vise versa, so maybe that will have some affect

#17 ·
It's AWD, you cant expect it to drive like a RWD car. It will step out when you enter slowly and power on after the apex but it is just a slight slide, not a full on rear wheel spinning power slide.

It sounds like you have too much rear grip, Try adding more rear spring rate.

#21 ·
Though you meant rake lol. I took msmrnts prior to install, I need to measure again to see about the rake. Honestly looks about "even" front and rear. I know front was originally higher...so may have something to do with it.

And yes springs are 10kf/7kr, but I installed opposite, so I have 10k in rear and 7k in front. Per GTWorx.

#22 · (Edited)
If looks even that probabaly because your front is still higher.
The evo has a wierd rake look if you know what i mean.
I am using a higher rear. For many reasons. We are very limited by modifications so as tire type and size. Max. 245.wide. ( my ralli tires are 225's, that is the widest you can buy)
and max18 inch wheels. So we need to find different approach and set ups for rally. Although end of the day we are not so much behind street or track cars terms in cornering. (Based on race results)

So you might want to try the higher rear position vs the front one.

Just to see how it will work out for you.

#23 ·
I have an autox Saturday, so I will see how I do with this setup and if it still pushes with diff driver inputs i may give that a shot.

#25 · (Edited)
also it is a great but very much over looked upgrade is in the car is the ACD ECU flash. It does helps in turning - accelerating - braking.
Just make sure you get your flash from the REAL race tuner. NO drag and so guys. Also just because someone tuned countless cars doesnt mean he has a knowledge about how to do wright the good ACD ECU map. That is need a lots of test and tune on racing environment, not on the dyno. If you know what i try to implant here.
Good thing the ACD ECU can be mailed in. Specially if you are running a stock or close to the RS diff set up. The variables are much less then an engine tune or build set up.

:)

#26 ·
I have not. Wasn't sure about this, got mixed answers, so didin't get it.

also it is a great but very much over looked upgrade is in the car is the ACD ECU flash. It does helps in turning - accelerating - braking.
Just make sure you get your flash from the REAL race tuner. NO drag and so guys. Also just because someone tuned countless cars doesnt mean he has a knowledge about how to do wright the good ACD ECU map. That is need a lots of test and tune on racing environment, not on the dyno. If you know what i try to implant here.
Good thing the ACD ECU can be mailed in. Specially if you are running a stock or close to the RS diff set up. The variables are much less then an engine tune or build set up.

:)
Head in the dirt, but never heard of this lol. I understand what you're talking about though. Hmmm. Have to look up some stuff on this.

#28 ·
Yes i did. I rotated my worn tires from the front to the rear and set the suspension medium stiffness front and 2 clicks stiffer in the rear. It did great. Of course a lot is driver input, so i think i picked up on a few things to help rotate a little. I placed 3rd in SM instead of last haha so that much faster this time. Sorry for the late reply btw and also I have another event tomorrow. I'll try to get some good videos and get you guys some links on here :thumbup:

#30 ·
Ok so I did even better this event. got 2nd in SM woohoo :go dance: lol I really have to say the main thing is that i rotated the more worn tires to the rear though, it comes around nicely when i make it. I'm thinking the rear star specs are about done for. Anybody have any suggestions for other good autox tires?? I was looking at michelin pilot super sports maybe...
2nd place video!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.