Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Gravel Road = FUN, FUN = damage :/

6K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  1fastmf 
#1 ·
Yesterday was going on a gravel road for the first time in Evo. Decided to see what this car is made for :) Switched to gravel mode - gave it some gas and immediately the car went sideways - FUN! Tried a few turns sideways and damn this thing is easy to drive - it just is as controllable on gravel as it is on tarmac...

Now the bad part - my rear BBS stock wheels are all chipped from gravel that flew all over the car from my WOT side passes :/ Also, there is a number of scratches on the rear doors and fenders... not cool. Nothing that wasn't worth the fun, but honestly if I will keep doing this, my car will look like a beat up POS in a few runs...

So question, do mudflaps actually work? Is there any other way of protecting the paint and rear wheels?

#2 ·
Ive done the the same too and I had mudflaps.... WHile i do not have rock chips on the car/door I got one on the rear fender and my +15 offset RPF1 wheels got chipped pretty bad. SO i guess it does help a bit but if your power sliding sideways theres only so much they can do.

#3 ·
I would def get some if you plan on doing things like that in gravel. The mitsu paint isnt the best, so anything you can do to protect the paint is worth it in the long run, unless you want to spend 3k plus on some body work and a paint job.

#5 ·
I had Ziebart place the 3M clear protector all over the following:

Entire nose
Up the hood to the vent areas
Mirrors
Both rear door buldge areas (similar to factory protector on the STi just bigger!)
Both dog leg areas to match the door height
Rear rocker moldings to meet where the door covering ends for continuity.

THIS SEEMS TO HELP.

I live on a gravel road but never get over 10 mph LOL.

I had Rally Armor on the ol STI...Helped a lot!

Rally Armor to be installed on the EVO within a few weeks.

#6 ·
mudflaps do work. Is it 100% protection though? no

but you should definitely run them if you are going to fly down gravel roads. And it's an evo, that experience you had on the gravel road will stick with you for life, where-as you'll forget and not car about chips on the bbs wheels.

Get mudflaps, and then continue to actually drive the car and appreciate it for what it can do. Very few people ever in their lives could get the opportunity to enjoy the fun that is that.

#20 ·
Agree with that. I had the car for a bit more then half a year now and I am still learning how to drive it... and I bet will be learning for a while...

The more I do, the more it surprises me. Not a single day have I regretted buying an evo... :D

Clear plasti-dip - let it be it!

#10 ·
Yesterday was going on a gravel road for the first time in Evo. Decided to see what this car is made for :) Switched to gravel mode - gave it some gas and immediately the car went sideways - FUN! Tried a few turns sideways and damn this thing is easy to drive - it just is as controllable on gravel as it is on tarmac...

Now the bad part - my rear BBS stock wheels are all chipped from gravel that flew all over the car from my WOT side passes :/ Also, there is a number of scratches on the rear doors and fenders... not cool. Nothing that wasn't worth the fun, but honestly if I will keep doing this, my car will look like a beat up POS in a few runs...

So question, do mudflaps actually work? Is there any other way of protecting the paint and rear wheels?
Always wanted to do this, well thats why these cars were made!

#13 ·

mudflaps will help out a lot. i highly recommend them. i have mudflaps, i go on gravel quite a bit and luckily still no paint chips. theres only one chip on the lower driver side rear door from a stupid salt truck :wallbash:

as for the BBS, the paint on them suck. i had them acid dipped because i powdercoated them black. the people who did that for me said the rims from the factory are powdercoated but are very shitty. it chipped immediatly when i dropped a socket on it. the new powdercoat has gone through some abuse and no chips at all.:rock:
you can always try plastidipping the rims a few coats for protection.

for you paintjob, i say get those fixed and then 3m clear bra over it. again, plastidip will work too.

Yeah! Dip it then whip it!

New catch phrase? I think so.

...You're welcome.
thats what she said

#22 ·
I prefer Waiting for snow :) Even less friction than gravel! And no damage

#26 ·
Quite a few lightly travelled dirt roads in the northern part of my state. Took the X up there a few times, but did not really push it for that reason. But, it was still a bit of fun.

Back in the day, I had one of the first AWD Eagle Talons in the USA (purchased 10/89). Learned my lessons about dirt/gravel with that car. I'll wait for snow for the big time power slides and the top gear style AWD doughnuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.