Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Just 301 WHP... should I not have more with my mods?

11K views 94 replies 33 participants last post by  ak47m203 
#1 ·
Picked up my car this morning from my tuner.

On the dyno it made 301 WHP, how much is that in BHP?

I was hoping for a little bit more TBH, but my tuner mapped my car at 1.7bar of boost just to be safe as I'm still running standard internals.

These are my mods;

Piper CAT back ext/Test pipe/Grimspeed 3PBS/WB255 FP/AEM induction/JS short runner Manifold/Perrin Intercooler/TS BOV.

Tuner said he could raise the boost to 1.92bar but then I risk bending or throwing a rod.

#43 ·
1)why do you care about bhp? We can't help without a baseline.
2)If thats on a mustang dyno or dyno dynamics your numbers are normal.
3)All the evos in my area have more wtq than whp.

#47 ·
just had it confirmed... 301.4bhp = 401.8 BHP. I suppose that's not too bad for 1.7 bar.

#48 ·
the question is what is your baseline and how much more did you got after the tune, at least the tuner is ok for not having an ego of i can make it have 500hp and exploded your motor. drive it around and see how drive/road friendly the car. the is not all about hp it should be reliable too on day to day traffic and go ride.

#50 ·
It drives really great, the only thing that disappoint's me is... say I'm in 5th or even 4th sitting at about 4k rpm, if I floor it,... it doesn't pull like it did before? it does drive really smooth though.

Judging by how bad your power falls off up top, I'm gonna guess your ignition timing is stupid low and the Mivec maps probably look like crap (if they even touched them). You should be in the 350-360whp range. That's also assuming it's holding around 18psi at redline. Stock turbo/stock cam X's usually peak around 6500rpm, but should only fall about 30-40whp to redline, not almost 100.
I think he has tuned my car "better safe, than sorry", he said when I uprate the rods in January along with ID1000's and 3.5 MAF intake, he will raise the boost to 27psi.

#49 ·
Judging by how bad your power falls off up top, I'm gonna guess your ignition timing is stupid low and the Mivec maps probably look like crap (if they even touched them). You should be in the 350-360whp range. That's also assuming it's holding around 18psi at redline. Stock turbo/stock cam X's usually peak around 6500rpm, but should only fall about 30-40whp to redline, not almost 100.

#60 ·
OP, it could be your bov if you are still running the OEM one. Mine would leak and I'd lose response for about half a second.

#65 ·
I'm running Turbosmart BOV. Never had any drama's with my old tune.

#64 ·
well something has gone already :(

#67 ·
no I had the missus and kid in the car, I never even let the turbo boost? just driving normally. Happened just 48hrs later. But I don't think its anything to do with the tune, I think it's mechanical failure.

#70 ·
Cliff notes of this thread:

OP: Do you guys think something is wrong here?

Several Forum members: Your tune is shit and you should get an E-tune

OP: Nope I don't think it's the tune and wouldn't trust E-tune

Several Forum members: It is definitely the tune and you should get an E-tune

OP: Blown motor, still doesn't think it's the tune

#72 ·
the blown motor has been caused by oil starvation and not the tune. ;)

Awh man. :-( get a leak down and compression test.

If under warranty put back to stock and get fixed.
No warranty so its gonna cost me....££££'s!!! ah well at least I have a reason to forge my engine now.

#71 ·

#73 ·

Stop! that's dishonest and screws it up for the honest ones out there.

Parasitic Panda

#75 ·
oh well... looks like christmas will be coming early.

Since your going to be spending cash, I would get a built short block sent from someone reputable (MAP, or SpeedCircuit) - dont get someone that hasn't built a 4b11 before todo it.. infact if they have built less than 5 I wouldn't get them todo it...

I would also be getting a OP20 cable + wideband sent over and emailing Baka for an etune...

Have you got a good shop that can assemble?

#90 · (Edited)
This whole thread seems shady as hell... I'm starting to think that you did all the work on the car yourself and 'your tuner' doesn't know what he's doing.

Don't blame anything 'UK' on this. I'm from England and used to import turbo Jap cars there and never had any problems with 'UK fuel'.

As others have already pointed out... you have been given advice numerous times by highly respected members and professional tuners and yet you disregard that information and look what happens.

Our Evo's are expensive cars and unless you have tons of money to throw away do everything the right way and only get tuned by people that are highly recommend on such communities like this one.

#91 ·
I have done all the work on my car myself yes? whats the problem with that? the only thing I got a tuner to install was my 3PBS.

Turns out I was absolutely right in the end, I installed new turbo oil feed and return lines, plus new gaskets and seals, carried out two oil changes plus filter to inspect for any metal and my car is fine. done over 1000 miles since. I don't get what you are trying to say mate?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.