Planning for spring with new wheels and tires - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
xlr8tin

Planning for spring with new wheels and tires

I had a flat over the weekend, and was almost forced to buy all new tires, and made me think more about getting wheels and tires when spring comes only because I'm not sure of the wheel or setup. So I'm getting everything together since this is how I make big purchases months beforehand.

I have, however, bought a new tire to replace the flat. I wasn't happy to do it, but it was done nonetheless.

I'm thinking I really want to stay with 18's and a 10.5" wheel sounds pretty nice. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and search on the topic, but have a few questions.

I've found a wheel that I like and they make them in 18x10.5 with a 22 offset. I'm trying to figure out

1) what is the best tire size for DD? (I'd like to get a set of coilovers shortly after) It looks like there are a few sizes, 275 35, 285 30 and maybe one more

2) I live in Tennessee where we get snow/ice once or twice a year, and am thinking about either Michelin pilot super sports or the Pilot sport A/S 3+. Mainly I can't decide if I want to get all season tires or just stick with summer. I'm very familiar with the PSS as I buy them for all my cars. On Tirerack's website the A/S 3+ have the same or better numbers in the wet, dry and comfort performance. So it seems like getting them might be just as good as the PSS but with ability for snow.

I am a very spirited driver. My main concern is being able to have superior handling in ALL conditions, especially in wet and dry conditions. Can anyone chime in on the A/S 3+?

3) Lastly, with the 10.5" wide wheels I should expect having to roll the fenders, correct? I have zero experience with this and mostly like would have to do this myself. Would this be something I can do myself if I get the right setup up, or should I just go with a 9.5 wheel?

Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
xlr8tin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
xlr8tin

Another size looks like 285 35? Looks like the 2 tires don't come in all those sizes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xlr8tin; 01-08-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
pbasil1
Just Spooling Up

PMed you.

I have not personally run either of those tires. Maybe someone here has.
The pilot super sport, Extreme Contact DW and Bridgestone S04 pole positions are some great all around summer tires that arent scary in the rain.
RICKERMAN TUNED
-=ONE Performance=-
pbasil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
pdacton
Just Spooling Up

I changed from PSS to A/S 3+ for the winter. If you have temperatures near or below freezing at all, go with the A/S 3+. They work great in rain, snow and even ice. In cold temps the PSS is like riding on four blocks of concrete! In warm, dry conditions the PSS is superior. But the A/S 3+ is better even than the Conti DW in my opinion.
pdacton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
xlr8tin

It kinda seems like because this car is a high performance AWD rally car that it needs All season tires on it. Kinda like summer tires would be sacrilegious or something...lmao

And A/S 3+ seem to be #1 from what I've been reading

Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #6
05orangeSS
X-phile

A 10.5 inch wide wheel is too big. You also have to pull your fenders to get them to not destroy everything. Ideally if you could get an 18x9.5 +22 in like a volk or gram light that fits perfectly. A 18x9.5 +15 rpf1 fits too but you have to roll the fenders depending how low the car is. Ride height plays a lot as well as alignment. Having a 275 tire on your most likely basic bolt on car is pointless. It will make it slower and costs a lot more

STM Ricer: 8.75@166
Project RS Street car: 9.36@152/ 8.41@177 race trim
Cessna's Stock Block RS: 9.76@150
Shawna's Street Evo: 9.97@143
Cory's Stock Motor TSI: 9.8@148
Ryan's stock turbo Evo8: 10.16@131
Producing the ONLY numbers that matter!
05orangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #7
xlr8tin

So no fender rolling with 18x9.5 and +22? Is that the widest I can go without rolling fender? If fenders aren't a concern what is the ideal setup with tire size?

Old 01-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
05orangeSS
X-phile

Well that depends on how low your car is. If it's dropped a lot then even that size will rub. You need to figure out how low you want the car and then go from there. A stock tire size can be used on the 18x9.5 as well by the way

STM Ricer: 8.75@166
Project RS Street car: 9.36@152/ 8.41@177 race trim
Cessna's Stock Block RS: 9.76@150
Shawna's Street Evo: 9.97@143
Cory's Stock Motor TSI: 9.8@148
Ryan's stock turbo Evo8: 10.16@131
Producing the ONLY numbers that matter!
05orangeSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
xlr8tin

Well I planned to lower the car flush with the top of the tires. So if I do this I'd need to get the wheels/tires on. That normally how I do it. I'm not trying to stance the car and play with camber and all that. I just want it to look clean when lowered.

It's mostly why I want to go with coilovers so I can lower it a certain height with the wheels on.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #10
uNrest
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05orangeSS View Post
A 10.5 inch wide wheel is too big. You also have to pull your fenders to get them to not destroy everything. Ideally if you could get an 18x9.5 +22 in like a volk or gram light that fits perfectly. A 18x9.5 +15 rpf1 fits too but you have to roll the fenders depending how low the car is. Ride height plays a lot as well as alignment. Having a 275 tire on your most likely basic bolt on car is pointless. It will make it slower and costs a lot more
Lurker here.

What tire size would you recommend for a bolt on evo then? I thought the general consensus was that 275 35 was a good size.
uNrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement