SST Build quote - questions - noob - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > SST
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SST Post all topics about the SST transmission here.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
npallavi

SST Build quote - questions - noob

Hi Guys,

So as my build is taking shape, my tuner is recommending I spend 14k on my SST. My question is why? And what am I getting with this?

Current specs
Hard pipe kit
Straight through with test pipe
Grim 3port
ID1300s
DW300c
Flexfuel
Kelford stage 2 and springs

With this setup we are talking 350hp max I think. Car is still on the paint shop so yet to install and tune.

What's to come
GT Pumps 716
Dump pipe

However my tuner wants me to spend 14k on the SST.

upload image

Please I need advice so I don't spend money I don't need to. I will be keep this car until I go to the grave.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
2008 Evo X M.R SST // Kelford Stage 2 cams/springs // Stock Turbo // Hyper Flow Hard Pipe Kit // BluFlex Sensor // ID1300 // DW300c Pump // Grimmspeed 3-Port // Empire cat-back straight through // Test pipe

2016 Yamaha R1 // stock // 200 rwhp // Daily/occasional track

2005 Honda CBR1000 // Fork upgrade // PC5 // PC Ignition Module // PC Quickshifter // 180 rwhp // Track / Stunt Bike

2015 Triumph Street Triple 660 // 2009 R1 Rear shock // Stunt Bike
npallavi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
AiZ

That seems ridiculous to me for that kind of power. You're not even getting the Dodson Sportsman clutch upgrade, which is over $4000, you're getting one of the cheapest options. I get that Labor for all of that is pretty intensive, but the clutch upgrade itself isn't even that expensive.

Looks like they're ordering a brand new clutch assembly too; why? Can't they reuse yours? That right there is $2000.

If it were me I'd want everything itemized and priced, especially labor. No way this can be right. At this price I'd just buy two rebuilt SSTs and run them into the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
npallavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
That seems ridiculous to me for that kind of power. You're not even getting the Dodson Sportsman clutch upgrade, which is over $4000, you're getting one of the cheapest options. I get that Labor for all of that is pretty intensive, but the clutch upgrade itself isn't even that expensive.

Looks like they're ordering a brand new clutch assembly too; why? Can't they reuse yours? That right there is $2000.

If it were me I'd want everything itemized and priced, especially labor. No way this can be right. At this price I'd just buy two rebuilt SSTs and run them into the ground.
That's what I'm trying to understand. From my research essentially the Kozmic 10r plus new mechatronics unit as the factory units aren't the best and they drop pressure. Apparently.

Can you explain the difference between the Dodson and Kozmic?
2008 Evo X M.R SST // Kelford Stage 2 cams/springs // Stock Turbo // Hyper Flow Hard Pipe Kit // BluFlex Sensor // ID1300 // DW300c Pump // Grimmspeed 3-Port // Empire cat-back straight through // Test pipe

2005 Honda CBR1000 // Fork upgrade // PC5 // PC Ignition Module // PC Quickshifter // 180 rwhp // Track / Stunt Bike

Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
AiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by npallavi View Post
That's what I'm trying to understand. From my research essentially the Kozmic 10r plus new mechatronics unit as the factory units aren't the best and they drop pressure. Apparently.

Can you explain the difference between the Dodson and Kozmic?
I can't say, to be honest. I don't have experience with either besides researching the forums like you. I'm guessing the HP8R and HP10R are being fabricated in-house by the Kozmic team, much like SSP and Jack's have their own products, while Dodson is based out of New Zealand, and they include Exedy friction plates in their kits.

I think you should get in touch with Eric directly, send them this screenshot and see what they can do for you. I don't want to offer advice on things I'm not familiar with but for the level of power you'll be making, I can't believe those costs are right.

Edit: Also, the word on the street is to never use anything but Diaqueen OEM fluid on the SST.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AiZ; 04-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
aaronspeed

Full rebuild with updates and 600ftlb clutch packs $4k at SSP. Pay a shop Labor to remove ship to SSP week later have shop reinstall. $5k complete and get best of everything.
aaronspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
npallavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
I can't say, to be honest. I don't have experience with either besides researching the forums like you. I'm guessing the HP8R and HP10R are being fabricated in-house by the Kozmic team, much like SSP and Jack's have their own products, while Dodson is based out of New Zealand, and they include Exedy friction plates in their kits.

I think you should get in touch with Eric directly, send them this screenshot and see what they can do for you. I don't want to offer advice on things I'm not familiar with but for the level of power you'll be making, I can't believe those costs are right.

Edit: Also, the word on the street is to never use anything but Diaqueen OEM fluid on the SST.
Thanks mate, yes I'm going through that world of pain when a mechanic put penrite DCT in the trans causing it to netural. The legal battle continues.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
kozmic27
[Elite Merchant]

Where does the $14000 for the clutch upgrade come from? It doesn't come from us at Kozmic. We charge 3131usd for a NEW clutch assembly converted to a 10R, INCLUDING the new OEM assembly and INCLUDING labor on the build up. Even accounting for the AUD to USD exchange rate, something isn't right.
Also ditch the DW fuel pump unless you want to buy an engine. Use a Walbro.

Tuned by kozmic27:

MyEvo X MR:
;

quickest and fastest SST 1/4: 9.43@155(record)

1st 11 sec SST 1/4 11.851 @ 117.72
Stock Evo XTurbo10.826@125.65
(record)

Last edited by kozmic27; 04-20-2017 at 11:08 PM.
kozmic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
KARo7
Forum Lackey

Yea thats definately too much for what your getting. Also, at your power level you dont need upgarded clutches.

Another thing I noticed is youve been invoiced for castrol transmax dual fluid, it has been stated many times not to use non OEM fluid in the SST and thats the easieest way to kill your trans.
AEM Boost and AFR Gauge
GTworx springs
Twm SS kit and bushings
Work ultimate kiwami 18*9.5 + RE11's
act pro-lite flywheel + comp stage 3
Magnus CMC
MR rotors & Hawk HP+
KARo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 02:17 AM   #9
fearfulmaster

A lot of tuners here use transmax dual instead of OEM or ford. In europe, dealer sale castrol BOT 341 instead of diaqueen.

We can't get BOT341 here but transmax dual is BOT 342A as per the castrol Australia PDS. It retails around $287 for 20L and you often get 10% on sale and sometimes even 20% off.

The viscosity of transmax dual is a little bit different to BOT 341 but tuners believe it is compatible. Since castrol make diaqueen and the ford fluid, when they say transmax dual is ok for us, I would hope they know for sure.
fearfulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement