Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Matte Clear Plasti-Dipped WW Evo X

36K views 138 replies 50 participants last post by  Slammed0 
#1 · (Edited)
ALL DONE! PICS on PAGE 8!

Hey guys, since I had a thread about this on EvoM, figured I'd start one here. I ordered 2 gallons of Matte Clear Plasti-Dip Spray (RDS), along with the Earlex 3500. I will be spraying my car this Saturday, with 3 light coats of the matte clear plasti-dip, to give it a frosted/matte look.

Can't wait to see how it turns out, here's the car as it sits:

Finally got my Earlex 3500 yesterday as well, dip should be here Friday!

I will keep this thread as a log of the process, and final results.

Stay tuned!

See less See more
#87 ·
that fuckin dope man!!!!

#89 ·
Thanks! That's actually the reason I dipped it, is because it's a daily, and I'm tired of chips on my lip. I'm not too worried about cleaning it, it washes like a regular car, and doesn't leave water spots, you can just air-dry it.

Just a wet microfiber towel will touch up any bugs from the bumper, and other than that, there's no worry areas.

Worst comes to worst, if an area is so bad that it's uncleanable, just respray that panel, don't have to redo whole car :)

#90 ·
Looks like sex. Great job. Nice garage by the way. Wish I had a garage. Have a few questions for you though:

1. How much matte clear did you use? Just one gallon?
2. Does that blue painters tape leave sticky residue behind on the car? I sued masking tape and it was a PITA to get off
3. Did you skip the door and trunk jams etc?
4. What was the hardest part?
5. Total cost?

Thanks man

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#94 ·
Chi Weezy, here you go:

1. How much matte clear did you use? Just one gallon?

- Actually used about 3/4 of one gallon of matte clear

2. Does that blue painters tape leave sticky residue behind on the car? I sued masking tape and it was a PITA to get off

Nope, super easy to get off, and super easy to use.

3. Did you skip the door and trunk jams etc?

Yes, especially since I was just doing matte clear, so my jams are all white, just shiny. Can't even tell to be honest that there's a different unless you look for it specifically.

4. What was the hardest part?

The prep work. Had to take the wing off to get the trunk/wing fully, and taking it off was a small pain due to heating up the tape that holds it on. Also all of the masking (windshields, roof, windows, grille, rear diffuser, etc)

5. Total cost?

Depends on how much you get your dip for. One gallon of matte clear from DipYourCar is $59 + Shipping, and you also need the Earlex 3500 spray gun ($130 on Amazon, shipped). Therefore, $200 total, not including tape, newspapers for masking, etc.

#98 ·
Thanks! I'm actually going to re-do the passenger door today, as I found an area that I must have not wiped/cleaned good enough, and there is dirty area under the dip.

#103 · (Edited)
anybody have experience taking plastidip off of a car before??

i had my bbs plastidipped and had a hell of time taking it off. i assume it's easier since the contact point is pretty much flat. if it's anything like what i went through with my bbs, i can't see myself doing this.

damn that looks goooood tho...

#104 ·
anybody have experience taking plastidip off of a car before??

i had my bbs plastidipped and had a hell of time taking it off. i assume it's easier since the contact point is pretty much flat. if it's anything like what i went through with my bbs, i can't see myself doing this.

damn that looks goooood tho...
How many coats did you use?

#106 ·
Just a little update. I noticed that my passenger door had about a 8" x 8" dirty/dusty area, that must have gotten caught under the clear dip, and it showed through. I ended up peeling that door (wasn't as easy as I thought, took about an hour, must have not put enough layers on).

After peeling and respraying, the finish came out much better than the rest of the car. It is very smoothe feeling, just about no texture on it. The problem is that this door now looks a bit different than the rest of the car. The rest of the car has a sort of "gritty" feeling to it, not rough by any means, just this teeny bit of sandy feeling.

After debating what to do to fix the problem, I'm ordering 2 gallons of matte white, and going to put a few layers of thick white on it, to help even out any areas that aren't perfectly smooth. If it still isn't right, at least the 2 additional coats of matte white will make peeling it all / restarting from scratch a cinch.

Already got so many compliments on it, it's crazy!

Definitely learning tons of things while doing this. The first dip I did was Tue night, and it was low 40's in my garage. Last night when I did the door it was low 50's in my garage, and it looks like that may have played a role in how the dip adhered/dried/etc.

Dip should be here by the end of next week, will re-dip it matte white next Saturday most likely.

#107 ·
Did you not just spray the car with matte clear? Or you sprayed matte white under it first? How many layers and how many gallons?!? I'm going to do this next week and see how it goes. Found more paint chips while waxing it yesterday so hopefully this will preserve the paint. Thanks in advance man

#112 ·
Damn that's so sick! I'd just be afraid of damaging the paint or the peeling not coming off right. I had my wheels plastidipped on my previous car 3 years ago and I let it stay like that for 3 whole years it held up great just touch it up any time you need to BUT when time came to take it off it wouldn't fully come off. A very very thin coat from underneath the peel stayed pretty much permanent on the wheels in a few small areas after peeling it off (which was NOT EASY, a couple hours per wheel). I'm not sure why maybe cuz I let it on too long but I would suggest peeling it every maybe 6 months or so and re-doing it to be on the safe side.

#121 ·
looks great dude , it looks like it shouldnt be left on for more than 1 year though.... so in the long term of constant respray it may be pricey.... but its good for people who like to constantly change up the color

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.