car won't start, dealer giving me run around - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
vassili
Just Spooling Up

car won't start, dealer giving me run around

had it towed to dealer after it wouldn't start. they first told me the starter was busted. had that fixed. then they said i should probably replace my battery. It's over 6 yrs old so i did that.

went to collect my car and it still didn't start. pissed. they said they tested the day before and it started. it sat outside for the night in maybe -8C weather.

now they're telling me it's low compression due to timing chain stretch/skipping. WTF? what are my options here? is this possible that all these things were issues or did they misdiagnose and made me pay for repairs i didn't need? non modded 2008 evo x mr. they said a CEL for p0016 came up. which is the camshaft one.
vassili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
micjester
Just Spooling Up

It's possible that the starter, battery, and chain stretched all at one time...but not very likely. Didn't start due to lack of cranking or crank and no start?
micjester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
vassili
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by micjester View Post
It's possible that the starter, battery, and chain stretched all at one time...but not very likely. Didn't start due to lack of cranking or crank and no start?
it cranked, but no start. i tried cranking maybe 7-8 times in the course of an hour...so maybe it drained the battery. towed it to the dealer and it sat there overnight in -10C weather until next morning when they were able to look at it.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Digsonly22
Just Spooling Up

I would of never paid them shit imo.

Exactly what did you pay them for?

Because your car still didn't start and now all of a sudden your timing chain is stretched etc...

That's why I don't trust dealers, this is how they make money!
Digsonly22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
Jerky_san
Just Spooling Up

So crazy idea.. I've never done this in my Evo.. But my wife's car when it got super cold and sat for a while wouldn't start.. So I put the pedal to the floor while cranking it.. And it would finally sputter and start and then blow a shit ton of smoke out the tail pipe.. My sister's car has the same issue at times.. They are both nissans though.. It has something to do with low fuel pressure because the fuel pressure regulator gets a little hosed.. But wide open condition solves it.. Only had it happen twice on my wife's car and once on my sisters. Always worth a try..
Jerky_san is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
vassili
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
So crazy idea.. I've never done this in my Evo.. But my wife's car when it got super cold and sat for a while wouldn't start.. So I put the pedal to the floor while cranking it.. And it would finally sputter and start and then blow a shit ton of smoke out the tail pipe.. My sister's car has the same issue at times.. They are both nissans though.. It has something to do with low fuel pressure because the fuel pressure regulator gets a little hosed.. But wide open condition solves it.. Only had it happen twice on my wife's car and once on my sisters. Always worth a try..
i did that last time (2 years ago) and it flooded the engine. lol. dealer couldn't figure out the issue (same dealer). no codes popped up. they tried to charge me for new spark plugs cuz they said it was soaked. i had to put up a fight.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Jerky_san
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassili View Post
i did that last time (2 years ago) and it flooded the engine. lol. dealer couldn't figure out the issue (same dealer). no codes popped up. they tried to charge me for new spark plugs cuz they said it was soaked. i had to put up a fight.
Should be the other way around though. I think the fuel pressure thing causes it to get flooded so flooring it kills the injectors and that's why it blows tons of smoke out of the back.. I believe its because the plugs are fowled and are unfowling. Could be wrong though.. Just worth a shot.. If his chain is messed it will be an oil/plug chain anyways.. The gas will leak down the cylinders after a while.. Anyways.. dunno I thought stretched chains throw a code.
Jerky_san is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
vassili
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Should be the other way around though. I think the fuel pressure thing causes it to get flooded so flooring it kills the injectors and that's why it blows tons of smoke out of the back.. I believe its because the plugs are fowled and are unfowling. Could be wrong though.. Just worth a shot.. If his chain is messed it will be an oil/plug chain anyways.. The gas will leak down the cylinders after a while.. Anyways.. dunno I thought stretched chains throw a code.
yea, i can confirm i did get a P0016 code that the dealer said they got...it's not timing chain specific...something like "Crankshaft Camshaft Position"
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
TravisF
Just Spooling Up

Quote:

THIS!

They started your car to verify it worked and then shut it off without letting it warm up. You need to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank for 15 seconds, then rest for a minute or two, and repeat the cranking. It will eventually start up and blow a ton of smoke.
TravisF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
vassili
Just Spooling Up

can low fuel cause low compression? dealer is saying compression is 30psi or something when it should be at 100. the non starting always happens when it's under half a tank, which is where it's at now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement