Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Tarmac Black, Phantom Black, Graphite Gray

20K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  nasty n8 
#1 ·
With the news of Phantom Black becoming available as an option for the GSR, I'm very interested in getting my X in PB. There seems to be a lot of confusion over what Phantom Black looks like. Many people (including my dealer) seem to think the dark metallic gray/black is the Graphite Gray. I believe it is either Tarmac Black or Phantom Black because I have seen pictures of Gray cars that are slightly darker than Silver and look similar to the GG in the IX.

Does anyone have pictures that clearly show the difference between Graphite Gray and Phantom Black?

Thanks

#4 ·
phantom black is black/black.

Tarmac is black/charcoal

Tarmac =

phantom black =

#18 ·
I have a feeling this is correct.

#17 ·
I asked for phantom black. It wasn't available in NZ for the Evo X. Only Tarmac. No regrets with Tarmac though.

#19 ·
I saw the black on the base lancer and it is solid black with no metallic, not the same as the Tarmac Black on the Evo X from New Zealand. So the question still remains, what is Phantom Black?

The car from the AZ lot is definitely Graphite Grey but are the others Phantom Black or are they the Tarmac Black like the car from NZ?

Attachments

#27 ·
I just saw the phantom black pearl MR at the Detroit Auto show, and I've got a friend with a tarmac black IX

Tarmac Black is your basic black with a metallic flake

Phantom Black pearl looks more like a mix between graphite gray and tarmac black. It's black...but it's definitely not as dark as the tarmac black is.

I was able to get the Evo X brochure from the sales rep and the available colors in the US are

Phantom Black Pearl
Octane Blue Pearl (GSR only)
Rally Red Metallic
Apex Silver Metallic
Graphite Gray Pearl
Wicked White

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.