Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

NEXT EVO not until at least 2016!

10K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  pkradgreek 
#1 · (Edited)
If I am reading this correctly, they will start in 2013 to design the XI which will take 3 years to hit the market. So figure at least 4 years from now AT LEAST for the next EVO. Dunno, not feeling it. Enviro focused does not sound good.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hybrid-evo-gets-green-light

Hybrid Evo gets green light

Mitsubishi confirms cleaner, greener diesel-electric Evo XI; ready within three years

The next Mitsubishi Evo will be powered by a hybrid powertrain and will go on sale within three years, company president Osamu Masuko has confirmed to Autocar. Although Masuko did not reveal the full technical details, it is understood that the Evo XI will switch to a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, saving it from tightening emissions regulations while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.
“We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three,” said Masuko. “I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power.”
See our image of the hybrid Mitsubishi Evo
It is hoped that the mix of diesel torque and electric motor will deliver a 0-62mph time of under five seconds, yet cut CO2 emissions to less than 200g/km.
The Evo XI will feature a revised version of the S-AWC four-wheel drive system, which integrates braking, steering and traction control.
The future of the Evo has been the subject of much debate this year. Senior management initially claimed it would be axed in favour of investing in electric vehicles, but it reversed this decision following a backlash from fans.
Masuko is believed to have made the decision after being persuaded that a halo model such as the Evo could have a positive effect on the entire Mitsubishi range, which is set to become increasingly environmentally focused.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm diggin it. I need a few years anyways b4 I'll be capable of buying another Evo! And by that time my current one will be so tracked I won't be able to DD it anymore :D

#8 ·
Put a little faith in the diesel/electric hybrid guys! Who knows, maybe Mitsubishi will figure out how to make a high revving diesel in a few years. Imagine.. a ton of low end torque from the electric motor + diesel, and turbo for power up top :D

Could be beast of a car.. diesel technology has come a long way as has electric

#12 ·
This is kinda old news. It should be around 2014, but most likely 2015 with all the r&d that needs to be put in it. This is the reason that I got my evo now. I didn't want to wait on high expectations of a car that may come out in 2-3 years.

The hybrid performance could be awesome it mitsu pulls it off. Most likely be buying one when it does come out.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#15 ·
blah blah they said the same crap about the eclipse in 2001. Instead it turned into a royal turd.

PS. your engine cover is currently sitting with body filler drying after I shaved off the MIVEC thing with a grinder. Fingers crossed.

#17 ·
I'll dig it, if it works. But that concept drawing does look an awful lot like the mitsu eclipse concept. When everyone thought that was going to be the new evo. At this point in 4 to 5 years i would hope that i would have enough money to just pay it off right away. The one thing that is turning me away from mitsu is their shit warranty. Luckily if this dealer comes through they may get my business one last time.

#20 ·
kill it with fire....

#21 ·
Hopefully the design is much different. Looks like an eclipse to me. No thanks

#23 ·
Hopefully the design is much different. Looks like an eclipse to me. No thanks
does anyone actually read anymore, or just skim articles? that is a shitty sketch by autocar.co.uk of what the Evo XI will look like - as in it's completely irrelevant, unofficial and useless

anyway, I'm getting a little more hopeful to see what this car does

as a previous full-time Mitsu salesman, I started to lose faith towards the end of 2011 with the Outlander Sport. There just seemed to be such conflicting and messy directions in the brand.
- New CEO focusing on going green
- Current marketing doing a great job on showcasing Mitsu's AWD systems
- The Outlander Sport using the 2.0 4b11 NA instead of the 2.4 4b12, despite 100% of the population saying it wasn't enough
- Continuing to use their terrible CVT, not even making any worthwhile tune changes
- Nearly no worthwhile mid-cycle refreshes to boost sales of their already great cars: the Lancer and the Outlander are already great cars, but people have forgotten about them now that they're not new. Hell, the Evo's hardly gotten any, and could really use some compared to all the competition these days
- The iMiev is a fucking failure, and we all said it would be years before it's release. None of the higher-ups in Mitsu would fucking listen. Anyone who even thinks about buying one these shit boxes needs to be admitted to a mental hospital

When the company first switched to the CZ4A chassis, it felt like it had REAL direction. The Evo was a proper halo car. The rest of the lineup started to actually look like descendants of Mitsu's prime example of engineering. It really was awesome seeing them all in a showroom

and now the CEO wants to throw it all away for going green. the Evolution name still means something, otherwise they would just release it under a different name - but who knows how many quality performance engineers from previous generations are still working at Mitsu now. This next car will be the ultimate test for me - to see if the company really is going to make a strong and capable change, or just flop completely and affirm that the Evo X really was the last Mitsu we know and love. The new CEO and new green movement for Mitsu is already in the shitbox with the iMiev

#24 ·
Ugh... Who put up that picture of an aborted fetus?

#25 ·
seen that artists concept picture so many times now.

They can't wait from 2007 to 2016 to bring out another evo ffs!!

#26 ·
Well I'm quite sorry Mr. Know It All. If it were totally irrelevant then I don't see why "that is a shitty sketch by autocar.co.uk of what the Evo XI will look like" would even be published. It's got to have some sort of relavence.

#34 ·
^^ That quote of mine was directed to Exyia, not you bud. Got held up on a phone call at work and didn't finish my response in time and others commented after me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.