Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Vinyl Wrap

9K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  kge0003 
#1 ·
So I've decided to wrap my car in vinyl once my exams are done and the weather gets better. But I'm sorta deciding how the color should work and I'm looking for suggestions.

I have the GG 2010 GSR with performance package (BBS rims + Big spoiler)

Heres what I'm thinking:
Roof = Matte Black
The Rest = Matte White
Anything else should be matte black too? (e.g. hood, mirror covers, trunk, spoiler?)

I only have about 2meters of matte black vinyl at the moment, so I was hoping I can get started on the roof and perhaps the wing. Hopefully I would have my matte white vinyl by mid April.

I've been watching plenty of youtube tutorials lately so hopefully after a couple tries technique wouldn't be a problem anymore. However if you guys can help me out and teach me how to remove some bits and pieces or maybe removing is a bad idea and I should just work around it?
such as: door handle, side blinker lights, antenna, headlights, taillights, the vents in the hood...etc

Also I am totally clueless as to whether I am supposed to cut it up to the edge of the surface, or like for example the door or hood, leave an inch or so and wrap it towards the inside.

Lastly, any suggestions if I should respray the flat black parts to match the matte black color?

See less See more
#2 ·
always wrap around the edge. make sure to clean the whole car with degreaser then soap and water. Then wipe the whole car down with alcohol and dry thoroughly.

dont use a heat gun. Get a nice propane torch and practice with it before you do the car... the torch makes things 10x easier.

I own a sign / wrap co.

#8 ·
Research. It's your friend.

always wrap around the edge. make sure to clean the whole car with degreaser then soap and water. Then wipe the whole car down with alcohol and dry thoroughly.

dont use a heat gun. Get a nice propane torch and practice with it before you do the car... the torch makes things 10x easier.

I own a sign / wrap co.
^ Listen to the pro.

#5 ·
If you have that many questions about where to even begin and you were planning on using a blow dryer... I'd definitely get this professionally installed. (Not saying that people haven't been successful doing this own their own before)

just my 2c

#6 ·
yeah wraping isant as easy as it looks but just get a tourch for sure! blow dryer will work for window tint but other than that get a torch( actuily easier to use than a heat gun ) and as stated workwith some of the material with the torch before you do a big pice...learn how to stretch it and learn the limits of the film ur going to be apling.

im a painter so i dont know much about vinal a whole car but i do lay stripes for people ... take ur time it will look great.

#7 ·
#9 ·
I bought the heatgun now so hopefully I'll be starting on my mirror wrap soon.
Guess I'll try with just plain soap and water first since I haven't gotten to finding a degreaser yet. Do I really need the application fluid because my friend told me just using plain water is fine too. Any thoughts?

#10 ·
If I remember correct something along the lines of "Purple power"? Is a good degreaser. Can pick it up at local store.

Never mind it's called Super Clean. It comes in a purple bottle. Says tough task cleaner, degreaser. Dissolves grease on contact. Just went to garage and found it.

#11 ·
Dont just use any degreaser you cant pick up at any store. We had a few guy cleaning a firetruck at my station though they could use degreaser to clean the truck and the bins out and they completely trashed a $300,000 fire truck. Go to one of the parts stores that sells automotive paint and buy some autobody degreaser they use on the car to clean the body right before they paint it. Ive never done vinyl but thats what i would suggest.

#18 ·
This is one of those things that I would have a pro do. The chances of a fuck up are just huge.

There's a lot of things I know how to do: Orally pleasure a man, bake a fantastic cake, build a pillow fort. Those things, I am an expert on. But when you're asking:

Whats a degreaser? So its worth it to buy a torch?
Cause I was originally going to just use a blow dryer.
Also am I suppose to add water between the car and the vinyl?
I think it's time to take a step back, say "I do not know how to do this", and shell out the money for it to be done right.

#19 ·
It's also easy to bubble your paint if u put to much direct heat on it with the torch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.