Picture on the back of stock navi

8K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Yxd68 
#1 · (Edited)
just want to see the picture of the back of stock navi

#4 ·
he prob meant picture of the the back of the stock navi

to figure out how he would go about installing it

#5 · (Edited)
hmm curious as well. Are you trying to put a pic of your choice on the background of the nav? Id like to know how to do that too
There isn't one single background, like the desktop on a PC. for example. There is the animated GIF that looks like burning planets tossed out of a red-lined toroid black hole at the beginning while the OS loads and there are several icon overlays for the AC vents, assorted text boxes and NAV screens. Each of which can be edited/changed individually (the animated GIF files are the most complex while the others are simple GIF files). So it can be done, but it does require some tinkering.

he prob meant picture of the the back of the stock navi
Some pics of the back of the unit. But this will not help with mounting as all the mounting brackets are on the sides.

Attachments

#14 ·
Excuse me for being unclear - early morning post at work on the iPhone.

Looking for instructions on how to change the gif files as stated in your post. I looked threw the posts in this section of the forum and cannot find anything that seems go be what I am looking for.

Totally clear? :ghey:
:p

#9 ·
Is that an S-video plug up there to the right of the fan??? It sure looks like one...

#10 · (Edited)
Is that an S-video plug up there to the right of the fan??? It sure looks like one...
Hmmm... Let's find the orig pic and zoom in.

1. (OOPS! - Sorry, same filename, wrong picture. Her name is Trinity, btw.)
2. Looks to be the typical S-Video connector. I wonder what it does?

Attachments

#11 ·
Hmmm... Let's find the orig pic and zoom in.

1. (OOPS! - Sorry, same filename, wrong picture.)
2. Looks to be the typical S-Video connector. I wonder what it does?
My Jedi senses are picking up huge amounts of sarcasm... Maybe it's me though, It's almost time to send out the W-2s.

#12 ·
My Jedi senses are picking up huge amounts of sarcasm... Maybe it's me though,
Are you referring to my comment "I wonder what it does?"?

My comment there is more related to discovering RS232 connectors on assorted equipment and making the mistake of thinking they're serial ports, which, as you know, is not always the case.

S-Video is not correct for 16:9 displays and the resolution of S-Video is higher than what the MMCS display can handle so some conversion would be needed in any case.

It certainly appears to be a S-Video "connector" but it might not be a S-Video input. It could be an output (iirc S-Video connectors are used for both directions?) or a test port. Who knows? I wonder if a new menu shows up when something live is connected.

I wonder if they have a S-Video signal tester / signal generator in the electronics lab? Otherwise I'll have to search for that decades-old S-Video connector that came with one of the camcorders.

The next time i feel like taking the dash apart for cleaning ...

PS - I did not know you were a Jedi.

#13 ·
Are you referring to my comment "I wonder what it does?"?
Yes it was!

My comment there is more related to discovering RS232 connectors on assorted equipment and making the mistake of thinking they're serial ports, which, as you know, is not always the case.

S-Video is not correct for 16:9 displays and the resolution of S-Video is higher than what the MMCS display can handle so some conversion would be needed in any case.

It certainly appears to be a S-Video "connector" but it might not be a S-Video input. It could be an output (iirc S-Video connectors are used for both directions?) or a test port. Who knows? I wonder if a new menu shows up when something live is connected.

I wonder if they have a S-Video signal tester / signal generator in the electronics lab? Otherwise I'll have to search for that decades-old S-Video connector that came with one of the camcorders.

The next time i feel like taking the dash apart for cleaning ...
I was unaware that the "RS-232" connector, as you referred to it, was used for anything other than video. I also did not think that it would be an output... my bad. I'm not an "electronics" person. I was actually looking at the back of the MMCS for anything I would recognize as a video connection for an auxiliary input. I'm trying to figure out if I could wire a FLIR night vision system into the MMCS. I'm sure it can be done, but it may prove beyond my skills. I learn quickly though.

PS - I did not know you were a Jedi.
My coworker here calls me Obi-Wan. Mostly because I seem to know what's going to happen before it does. The reality is that I have been working in HR for almost 15 years and have learned to accurately predict employee reactions to all sorts of conditions. Plus I'm well versed in all our systems and policies. Right now I'm getting ready for W-2 season.

W-2 season is usually folowed by phone calls stating that the employee did not receive their W-2 and why are we so screwed up. This is followed by my comment...

"Did you move this year?" to which the reply is...
"Yes."
"Did you file a change of address with the post office?"
"No, I don't want people bothering me."
"Well, it worked."
"So when am I going to get my W-2?"
"Probably after I get your current address..."
"Oh.............................................. Do you want it now?"
"Not unless you just want to send over a courier pigeon..."
"Your kidding?!?!"

This is usually folowed by a really long pause as they try to figure out if I'm serious or crazy. I think the only reason they have not fired me is I know too much and I get things done. Anyway, that's why the sarcasm setting in my head is on high at the moment. It should be off by the end of February and then back on again in mid March.

#15 ·
I was unaware that the "RS-232" connector, as you referred to it, was used for anything other than video.
RS-232, aka DB-9, is generally used as a serial port and never as a video. The thing that looks the same size as a DB-9 but has 15 smaller pins (rather than the nine pins on a DB-9) is commonly called a high-density DB-15, which is commonly used for VGA-type (analog) video. I've found DB-9 connectors used for anything from fiber connection ports (Sun) to binary signal connectors (APC UPSs). One just can't tell anymore just by looking at it.

Now I understand the W-2 reference. hehehe

Looking for instructions on how to change the gif files as stated in your post
Ahh, makes more sense now. I've not posted much about dissecting the harddrive but I can type out a high-level overview from memory (I don't do step-by-step details):

- Study up on the threads that detail how to unlock the drive. You will need a notebook 44-pin IDE connector adapter to get to a 40-pin normal desktop connector for ease of use. Look to www.mitsubishiforums.com, search for "How to unlock MMCS".

- Once the drive is unlocked, make an image copy of it (Norton Ghost, Linux dd, etc.) to another harddrive for safe keeping. This is your only recovery method.

I made a boot floppy with the unlock code as part of the boot sequence. You will need to install/remove/unlock the drive from the car MANY times so get this step automated. You will not need to lock the drive before re-installation - the MMCS will do that for you on next shutdown.

- Using your favorite file browsing tool, ID the disk partitions and associated files. Note that mounting the drive in Windows will add \Recycled, \System Information, etc. directories which shoud be removed before reinstalling the drive into the MMCS.

The drive is 40GB (all of them are 40GB - the marketing material that said 30GB is wrong). It is an automotive-rated drive - which is different from notebook drives and more expensive (they have very high temp and shock ratings).

All partitions are formatted in either TFAT or VFAT, and there are several primary partitions that I will list by size since depending on what OS you view them from, the order will change.

First partition is 20GB and contains the NAV files (20,972,826K). Primary.

Next is the screen images partition at 128,520 (K). Primary. Here you will find pics like #1 below.

Next comes the CDDB database partition at 522,122K. Primary.

Next is an extended partition with logical drives in it.

Partition 5 is empty (??) and sized at 1,052,226K. Possibly used for swap space but I did not look for low-level traces of data. There were just no real files listed by dir or ls.

Part 6 contains the loading.kwi file, at 1,052,226K for the partition. The size and date of loading.kwi changes depending on which flavor NAV software is installed.

Part 7 is the music server partition. It is 5,564,491K in size. It contains a fascinating directory and file structure that appears to place each music CD in a separate file, with the converted music files in separate directories. There are master directories containing lists of all the assorted directories and filenames. I did not investigate on how to convert music CD files into MMCS-file formats nor how to populate the music server indexes. Another project. Curious the marketing material indicates a 6GB music partition while it's 5.

The animated gif file is titled opening.bmp and is on the screen partition.

I noticed that many things did not work properly after modification. Most problems were solved by touching the files to Jan 01, 2000 and tagging all files/dirs +A/+R. Except the music server partition which must be all +A only. And some files in a subdirectory named /0.1/0.2/ that needed to be -R. Record file perms before you get started mod'ing so you can get back again.

Last note: Annotate (write down and remember) the drive partitions volume labels. Some things will fail to work correctly if these labels are changed.

BTW - I obtained an 80GB replacement automotive drive and imaged over the original drive then re-sized the music server partition. I now have an ~45GB music server partition which I've not filled it up yet.

The opening animated bmp is named opening.bmp and it lives on the screen partition (attached).

That should be enough to keep you busy for the whole weekend.

Attachments

#18 ·
RS-232, aka DB-9, is generally used as a serial port and never as a video. The thing that looks the same size as a DB-9 but has 15 smaller pins (rather than the nine pins on a DB-9) is commonly called a high-density DB-15, which is commonly used for VGA-type (analog) video. I've found DB-9 connectors used for anything from fiber connection ports (Sun) to binary signal connectors (APC UPSs). One just can't tell anymore just by looking at it.

Now I understand the W-2 reference. hehehe
Ahhhhhh... So I need to do more research on this... OK, I can do that.

#22 ·
My educated guess would be back-up cam.

#27 ·
quick question guys, i got the navi unit from a mate who was fed up with his.. non evo lancer, just the standard one, but he kept the gps antenna, can any aftermarket antenna work with the stock unit.. Also once i install it will i have to get the dealer to flash it??

danny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.