Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Car Detailing Rates

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  sy272004 
#1 ·
I did a search and couldn't really find anything discussing this (sorry if my search skills are lacking). I know we have a ton of information about how to detail your own car here and such, but I can't see myself buying all of the materials needed, then spending XX hours detailing my Evo. I just don't have the time/energy to do it all myself. Please refrain from telling me how easy it is to just do myself.. I am confident that I could do it myself, but I am very attentive to detail and have to overcome my OCD when I just WASH my car. It would probably take me a week if I started detailing my car on my own haha.

So, here is my question:
How much is an "average" price for detailing the Exterior? -including clay bar
What if you include cleaning the engine bay?
What if you include cleaning the interior of the car?

I got a quote from a place that has a pretty good reputation around me, and I was wondering if the number I got was on par/above/below the norm. I'll hold off on saying the quote I got until a few people chime in with their experiences.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You are going to see rates all across the board depending on your location and the detailer's experience.

For an exterior only detail including clay and a one step polish/wax, I'd say anywhere from $100-200 in my area. It is about 3-4 hours of work.

#6 ·
That sounds about right.

Keep in mind, guys, there's a night and day difference in the quality of work between folks who call themselves detailers. There's the wash and wax hack who'll do your car for $50-$100 and then there's the Autopian pro who'll charge by the hour, usually ~$50-$80.

Let me give an example of what's involved and the time it takes. If you were to bring me your car, assuming it was not polsihed since you took delivery and driven regularly, it would take me a day to wash it well, inspect the paint thoroughly, gauge the products necessary for the task, and most likely complete the first stage of a polishing job. The second stage of polishing on a car like the Evo, including applying a LSP, is about a day's work. Can someone do this exact thing in half the time? Absolutely not. So, this is 2 days of work for what I'd consider to be a competent detail for paint only. Add another day for show-quality burnishing.

#3 ·
Cool, Thanks. Yeah, I expect to see some lower rates in the mid-west as they usually have lower rates, but the East/West Coasts generally have similar numbers. I'm looking for the general ranges.. and if anyone has gotten their car detailed recently & is willing to say what they paid/had done, that'd be helpful too.

#5 ·
i am getting mine detailed next month from a highly rated place here in MA. the exterior package is $100 and includes a hand wash, clay bar, polish, wax, windows and wheels and tires.

#7 · (Edited)
From the side jobs I've done, most people are looking for the "wash and wax" deal.. which I usually do a clay with a one step like Prime Acrylic and maybe an LSP. Most people seem pretty happy with that and satisfies what they consider to be a exterior "detail" and they want it done fast. I charge per panel for polishing depending on what they want to do but at that point they don't want to pay anymore. It's a hard upsell, at least for the people I've worked with.

#11 · (Edited)
From the side jobs I've done, most people are looking for the "wash and wax" deal.. which I usually do a clay with a one step like Prime Acrylic and maybe an LSP. Most people seem pretty happy with that and satisfies what they consider to be a exterior "detail" and they want it done fast.
Agreed. That's what I do for friends and family. Given their expectations and the time they allow, it's more than fine.

I charge per panel for polishing depending on what they want to do but at that point they don't want to pay anymore. It's a hard upsell, at least for the people I've worked with.
You know, for me, I do so few cars per year - it's not a source of income - that I don't upsell shit. If you don't want my best effort, go someplace else. By that I mean, paint brought to a step above showroom condition, given the circumstances. You have a riced out joke, a family car, or a SUV, other folks are there to assist you with you needs. You have a serious car - can be anything from a Miata to a hot rod - and you know what it takes for someone to handle paint, great. Talk to me in the spring. That pretty much describes my attitude. If it were a job, well, things would be different.

OP, I'd suggest going to the applicable regional forum on Autopia.org and asking for a referral. That's why those boards are there. At the very least you'll have some assurance that your paint won't be fucked up as a result of the work. Ironic, I know, but it's the reality of the situation.

#8 ·
Thank you guys for your input so far, keep the prices coming!

I understand it is a considerable amount of work. I would assume it to take a full day (i.e. 8 hours) for a full interior/exterior detail which I was quoted for (which includes cleaning the engine bay). The "shop" is very reputable and strongly stands by all of their work.

Please keep in mind, I am only asking for prices in this thread :) The time it takes will vary by the place you go to and how many people they have working on your car at one time.

#10 ·
Shoot me a PM of where you are looking to go. My car is in dire need of a good cleaning and I havent heard of any good local places yet. Maybe we can get a group rate, haha. I went to that new self car wash on route 304 during the winter to keep the salt off but that was just taking a high powered hose and spraying it down. The brush was always frozen solid and the soap never worked.

#12 · (Edited)
I recently had my Evo waxed and detailed for $250. It took roughly 8 hours. If I could do it again, I would search a little more thoroughly this time for a better guy or shop in my area to do the work.

Here is what was performed (cut / pasted / chopped from their site)..

Mini Detail
*Exterior wash
*Tires and wheels cleaned
*Tire shine
*Bugs, tar and road grime removed
*Windshield protected with Rain X
*Interior vacuumed
*Windows cleaned and dressing applied to dash and doors
*UV Protectant Wax

Clay bar
*Removes rough oxidation and contaminates from paint
*Gives an excellent smooth surface for sealant and/or wax to bond

Light Polish
*1-Step high-speed buff process
*Removes light haze and promotes clarity in the clear coat
*The process is completed with sealant and wax application

Signature Buff
*2-Step high-speed buff process
*Light compounding is performed to remove deeper swirls

#14 ·
I recently had my Evo waxed and detailed for $250. It took roughly 8 hours. If I could do it again, I would search a little more thoroughly this time for a better guy or shop in my area to do the work

<removed details>
nice! That's a lot of work. Ok, I'll post up my rate now. The quote I got was $200 for bumper to bumper detailing (including engine bay and interior). I'll get a exact list of what gets done and post that up here too.

I was pretty confident the price is a good deal, but I wanted to check out some comparable work from other places to make sure.

#16 ·
i had my subie detailed a while back by a local detailer in ny. it was a 3 step exterior detail. wash clayed polished paint correction waxed i think i paid 300. all the swirls and light scratches were removed. i left the car and it took half a day.

#19 ·
be very carefull who you trust your evo to do detail. there arent many ppl around who know what they are doing comparing to ppl who dont. $200 you will get what you paid for. for good detail expect to pay anywhere 350 and up just for exterior. some ppl who do it on side might charge less but get 50/50 pictures from them first, ask what brand products they use and what equipment they have, ask if they have paint gauges becouse your paint is pretty thin its a must if they gona use anything other then light polish. ask how many stages it will take to remove imperfections and so on. not many ppl in NY area know what they doing. i would only recommend one but not sure how far he is from you (Dave from streetdreamsdetail. Phil from DD knows him)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.