Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Rally-X FAQ

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  yeayeaatou 
#1 · (Edited)
Frequently Asked Questions
Original listing from http://formularallyx.com/faqs.shtml

• What is RallyX?
  • What is the difference between European RallyCross and RallyX?
  • Do I need a special license to race?
  • Does my car require any special modifications or safety equipment?
  • How much does it cost?
  • What classes are there, and what class is my car?
  • What kind of helmet do I need?
  • What is the schedule on race day?
  • How should I prepare my car for a race?
  • Will it hurt my car?
  • How do I sign up? Where are the events?

What Is RallyX?
RallyX, also known as dirt trial or rallycross, is among the most accessible forms of dirt motorsports. It has its roots in stage rally racing, where cars tackle sections of dirt roads one at a time. Dirt trial evolved in Japan in the 1980s and continues to be a popular offroad motorsport there. RallyX brings the thrills of stage rallies into a controlled environment where "daily driver" cars can be used to safely compete. A RallyX event is typically held on an unpaved, flat dirt area with the course consisting of straights and turns. As in stage rallies, cars run the course individually, with the best cumulative run times winning. Speeds are limited by the course layout, and a street vehicle along with seatbelts and a helmet is all that is required. If you are familiar with Solo/AutoCross, RallyX is basically "autocross on the dirt." This is a great way to learn to handle your car on lose terrain under controlled conditions, and to enjoy the thrill of competing off road.
One car navigates the course at a time for a series of runs combined for a total score.
Time penalties are added for hitting cones and missing gates.
Speeds are limited by the course, and your personal street vehicle along with seatbelts and a helmet is all that is required.
Courses emphasize driver skill more than outright speed.
There is a work/run schedule. You race in your particular run group, and will help during one of the other run groups (course worker, timer, etc).

What is the difference between European RallyCross and RallyX?
European RallyCross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallycross) is the term used for offroad circuit racing in Europe. Cars compete door to door with each other around race courses with up to 16 cars at the same time. RallyX and dirt trial, as discussed earlier in this FAQ, is based on rallies and only one car is on course at a time. European RallyCross is geared towards professional drivers, while American RallyX is approachable and geared towards the privateer.

Do I need a special license to race?
All you need is a valid state driver's license.

Does my car require any special modifications or safety equipment?
A RallyX event is open to any fixed-roof production based vehicle (including convertibles with a factory hardtop attached, targa-types with factory panel in place, t-tops with factory panels in place) that can pass safety inspection. However, if the Safety Steward determines at his/her discretion that a vehicle cannot readily negotiate the course, it may be excluded. Sport Utility Vehicles and trucks are not required to have full roll cages but are subject to the approval of the Safety Steward. Soft-top convertibles are not allowed.
However, some competitors choose to add skid plates and/or differential protectors to maximize their protection. Adding an additional ~5psi of air to stock tires is recommended as soft sidewalls may allow the tire to slip off the bead and deflate (see Car Prep for more details).

How much does it cost?
RallyX events typically cost $45-$70, but may vary by club and venue.

What classes are there, and what class is my car?
See the SCCA Rallycross Page for details: http://www.scca.com/pages/rallycross-cars-and-rules or http://formularallyx.com/rules.shtml

What kind of helmet do I need?
Minimally, Snell “SA” or “M” labeled helmets are approved for use. Beginning in 2016, they must be 2005 certified or newer. Other approved helmets are SFI Spec 31.1 and BS 6658-85 type A/FR. A limited number of loaner helmets may be available at no charge at the event.

What is the schedule on race day?
Please look over the club's website to review the event schedule. Registration will be the first item on your agenda followed by car prep and passing tech. The run group schedule throughout the day is largely dependent on the number of drivers and weather. Depending on the club, you may walk the course or there may be a parade lap before your heat.

How should I prepare my car for a race?
Keep up with oil/fluid changes, brake inspections, valve adjustments, etc. Check your fluid levels. Remove any extra items you won't need during race day and clear out any loose items before you race. As part of the safety/tech inspection, officials will make sure there won't be anything flying around your cabin while you're on the course.

Some competitors choose to run higher pressure in their tires - typically 38-40 psi. It may sound like a lot, but the extra pressure will strengthen your sidewalls while cornering and can prevent you from (while an uncommon occurrence) "popping the bead". This is when external pressure on the sidewall, usually due to driving/drifting into a rut sideways against the wheel, can push the sidewall inward enough to instantly and completely deflate the tire.

Will it hurt my car?
Yes and no. In general, the answer is no as people drive their STOCK daily driver vehicles in rallyX's all the time. How hard you drive, how fast, and how crazy is totally up to you. There's always a bit of competition, but there's no reason you can't go at your own pace, practice certain techniques, get used to driving on slippery surfaces, and figuring out the limits of your car, and your driving skills. The most common 'breakage' is a tire de-bead...where your tire comes off your rim. This is typically fixed at the event with some help.

How do I sign up? Where are the events?
Check your local clubs and automotive forums.
Other sites:
www.formularallyx.com
www.specialstage.com <--mostly stage rally, but rallyX's are listed too
http://www.scca.com/pages/i-want-to-rallycross (check for local regional websites)

See less See more
#3 ·
All 3 of our rallyx cars have skidplates. 1 was custom-made, 1 was OTS, and the most recent one was an eBay square of aluminum that we bent and drilled to fit. There were folks at Nationals running without skidplates, but at our site, I would not feel comfortable running without one.

#5 ·
We're still using the ebay sheet of aluminum for now, but the Thompson skidplate looks like a better choice for rallyx and standing up to impacts. But it depends on your site. Ours is gravel and can get rough when it ruts up.

#7 ·
Ah, so you know Evan and some of the other folks who run in the Ohio area? Are you thinking about coming down for the Eastern States Championship in July?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.