Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

ASC Off / service required message while at the track

9K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  onyx1121 
#1 · (Edited)
So while running at Autobahn in Joliet today I got an error message saying service required and ASC Off. I don't remember exactly when it happened, but someone said it was due to hitting 30psion boost. I've got an FP green tuned by Jon at Hbspeed, and if I recall I was hitting a max of 25psion, trailing down to 18 or so at redline.

So what should I do? I don't have a wideband or a boost gauge. Should I just take it over to AMS and let them put it on the dyno and do a tune?

Not a good day - I'm basically out $400 in track fees for the weekend. Boo. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: Okay so I got off my lazy @$$ and logged some data using the standalone logger and a configuration file I pieced together thanks to various folks on the forums. See attached; I included a 3rd and "best I could do" 4th gear pull. Can anyone provide insight? I assume it would be a good idea to log each of my sessions tomorrow incase I have this same problem again. I will be driving at exactly sea level so I assume my PSIG formula and subtracting 14.5 is fine? I should I do a true 14.7? Worst case I can adjust later in Excel though.

Attachments

#2 ·
this has happened to me (same turbo, less boost)
i had a gazillion torque-related CELS aroudn that time though.

idle went rough, was in limp home mode.
however, i turned it off and started her up 5 mins later and all was well.

what ASC mode were you in?
i can only track in "off off" or my car spits it. I have SST.
a mate with a GSR and stacks more power (red+meth) can track with it on and it works for him really well, but he has had all his airflow/torque limits fiddled with a lot i think.

#3 ·
Heh, i get this on the stock turbo.

The way I noticed I can make it happen without fail is to be in a high gear while at a low speed, and flooring the car. Say I am doing 60 MPH but am in 5th gear, if I floor it, I noticed my boost will creep REALLy high, like I can see it touch almost 30, when I am tuned for 26. If I am in the right gear and floor it I never go over 26 PSI, and almost never see the ASC service required.

There were a few times when I was giving it some gas that I received the error and was in the right gear. Dunno what caused it, just assume it doesnt know how to handle 300+ HP/TQ

#4 ·
:yeahthat:

During the winter my boost was spiking and one night it spiked around 30 PSI while I was at low speed in fifth. Scared the hell out of me. If you go into limp mode you just need to pull over, cut the engine for a few to allow the code to erase and you'll be fine. I usually wait about 2-3 minutes.

#5 ·
One thing I just realized, I had it on "tarmac" and nothing disabled, full asc on I guess you call it; could that have been the issue?

I mean is the message I got definitely boost related? It seems hard to believe I hit 30 psi on an FP green when on the dyno we peak at 25 around 3000 rpm and leak down to 18 from there...

#6 ·
Same, mine spat it on Tarmac and ASC ON.
max boost 23psi aswell.

try ASC off (or off off better still) and I'll tip your problems are history.

Even on the street with ASC on, i would frequently get chimes and the yellow warning on the dashboard display when going WOT in 2nd/sometimes 3rd. ASC off and i don't get them at all.
I'm sure all this stuff can be tuned out somehow....

#7 ·
It happens all the time to a lot of our cars. I had a thread we were talked about it for a while this for a while, it will still happen if your ASC is on, Off, or Off Off. It happens when you spike to 28 psi or above. Since I just got my Snow Stave 2 Meth Kit and my Perrin 3 Port; I am changing from a COBB Stage 2 tune to a custom tune from Motions labs. I guess we will see if this fixes the issue.

#8 ·
Yepo, but it is also happening when boost is nowhere near 30psi.
So it's not always a boost-related issue.

#9 ·
This happens when you max out your MAP sensor. It could be at 26psi or 30psi depending on your elevation. It just comes up when you spike over what the sensor can report.
When it happens you'll get the ! in the triangle and the squiggle car but no high rpm or limp mode for the guys who are tuned.

#10 ·
Is this a double post?

#11 ·
I reported the duplicate post to the mods.

So should I not do an all day track event on Monday until I get this figured out? It 3 hour each way to the track so I don't want to drive out there and damage the car or have major issues. Should I just call AMS and get it looked in to?

#12 ·
Double post

#14 ·
Nothing really. I mean I have a Openport 2.0 and all, but haven't used it much nor set up any kind of logging. Obviously my problem here is lack of information for any real kind of diagnosis, which leans me towards: don't take a chance tracking it until I get some hard data, whether that be on a dyno or from my own runs. But honestly I know the car is fine daily driving. I had look at some data I logged in EcuScan awhile back and it all looked good. Nothing like 30psi of boost.

This only seems to be a problem on the track - and it was about 5 laps in of hard running.

Side note: CGI Motorsports said they can't move my track day deposit of $200 to another one of the events they have later in the summer, so I guess this is a sunk cost. I just don't want to damage my car - not worth it if this is an actual concern/issue.

#15 ·
It's hard to say what to do when you are tuned because you are running the car modified so you could get the service light for almost anything. If you had your car stock it could be another story. If I were you I'd rather take a minor loss than damage your engine or something big. Can you sell your spot to someone?

#16 ·
onyx - if you have a OP20 cable, just download your ROM reduce the WGDC a few % and then upload it...

#17 · (Edited)
What table is this in Tephra? Boost Target Engine Load 1A?

And just across the entire RPM range you are saying go down like 3%?

Side question: Can I use my Tactrix to log to the SD card so that if it happens on the track again at least I have some actual data to look at? Would I log boost, and rpm? (no wideband as of right now).

#18 ·
See first post for updates with data. Appreciate any insight people have.

#19 ·
the WGDC tables

leave the BDEL/TDEL alone since you still want to hit the same target boost...

#21 ·
Cool, thanks John - I got the standalone logging working and am at the track now. I will generate some logs and just keep an eye on the boost - if I see anything I will send over.

Thanks for the tune by the way - car has felt great other than this minor thing.

#22 ·
Got one more log from a full out track session. Looks like I am hitting about 27 psi. Does that seem high at all? I guess I will keep and eye on it, but it seems to be hitting that at about 5500 RPM.

Attached is the raw CSV showing everything.

Attachments

#26 ·
Cool, thanks Jon. Car was awesome at Gingerman. I was being a bit of a girl and early braking in to corners, but once an instructor forced me to delay my braking I was passing Corvettes, C-Class AMGs, and an older style 911. Power was perfect for me, and brakes are the next thing I need to get fixed up.

Another happy HB Speed customer :godance:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.