Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Evo MR vs Golf R video review

9K views 76 replies 46 participants last post by  ethics 
#1 ·
Some people just should not be reviewing cars, period.

#35 ·
This test is, typical German car fan boy delusion. It's like when major car mags test a ZR1 or Z06, and, say things like. "The Vette flat out, outran the $300K Ferrari, and, $400 Lambo.....But the seats feel cheap, wah wah wah!!"

Get over it! Vette owners don't buy a Vette expecting an Aston Martin interior!!! The same way Evo buyers don't buy an Evo expecting a BMW interior!!!

#37 ·
Nobody cares what we bought the evo for. He compared them like a regular buyer without knowledge about these cars would. There is no denying that you need to be a nut of sorts to buy the evo.

You get excellent performance but your trade off is Luxury, mpg, comfort, quality and just about EVERYTHING else. To anybody who wants to be smart about their money (which is how 99.9% of buyers want to be), the evo is a horrible choice.

#38 ·
Nobody cares what we bought the evo for. He compared them like a regular buyer without knowledge about these cars would. There is no denying that you need to be a nut of sorts to buy the evo.

You get excellent performance but your trade off is Luxury, mpg, comfort, quality and just about EVERYTHING else. To anybody who wants to be smart about their money (which is how 99.9% of buyers want to be), the evo is a horrible choice.
I would like to add my perspective to this thread, as far as using an EVO as a daily conveyance goes. In may '08 I gave up an E46 M3, to lease a Rally Red GSR w/SSS. Drove the car for 24 months (put 30k miles on it), the car was dealer maintained, and, had a drop in filter/axle back exhaust/ETS UICP. With the exception of a bad mass air flow sensor & hood release cable recall, the car gave me two years, and, 30k miles of trouble free ownership.

Until my dealer traded me out of the lease a year early, and, lowered my payment $40 a month on a '10 PB SSS GSR. Drove that car for 2 years, 21k miles, and, had 0 problems with the car. And just traded out of that one for a WW '12 MR.

The point I'm trying to make is, if you treat an EVO the way a 17 year old ricer would, (aka launchtards) then yes the car is going to crumble around you. But driven with a hint of maturity, and, proper maintenance, these cars are very reliable in the right hands.

#41 ·
"Its just a lancer, and a lancer is not good enough for rental car companies to notice" Are you retarded?? First off, how is it anything like a base model lancer besides most of the interior and exterior? Idiot, and last time I checked the Lancer DE is very popular as a rental car in North America.

But then again.. what do I know. If the Golf was 80,000$ more I would probably buy it t... wait what? Are you fucking retarded?? Who gave this guy a job.

#53 ·
It was a fair review for someone who wants a DD. The golf is a better car stock for stock and daily livable. Of course, most of us don't give a shit, because we mod the cars, and that's where the evo takes off. Be a long time before we see a golf making 700+.....

#54 ·
I too think this review is very fair and right to the point. When I drive my stock evo, I think of the exhaust sounds like a vacuum machine, and the interior isn't super nice. The R's interior definitely stands out, and the exhaust note is pretty darn bad ass. For a daily, R is definitely superior. For a race car, evo is definitely a monster.

#56 ·
Most of you don't know that Mitsubishi Electronics has been the 1 thing that has kept EVO's on the road for the last decade. Thankfully Mitsubishi Electronics is profitable enough to offset a shut-down scenario for Mitsubishi Motors...otherwise....:tumbleweed:

#57 ·
Let's not forget about Mitsubishi Heavy Industries who is now getting their feet wet in the aerospace industry. As a whole, the organization is pretty stout.

Pretty honest review IMO, although I don't think the interior is nearly as bad as he makes it out to be. Very livable day to day if you ask me. Then again my last DD was a gutted 93 civic!

#60 · (Edited)
Sure, if Mitsubishi took all the effort, money, r&d, etc that they put into the car's drivetrain and applied it to the interior so that you'd have soft-touch dashes and aluminum trim and whatnot, it'd be a nice car too(for people like the dipshit reviewing this). But it wouldn't be an Evolution anymore. I'd like to see any car under $80k with the suspension & drivetrain technology besides the STi(which isn't too far off either) that this car has. NONE

So have fun with your supposed-to-be-fast supe'd-up Golf with nice interior.

#61 ·
well one thing to say about things which you cant experience through a video , but a whole other thing is when you drive something and your face give you away in the same video...
To sum it up, here is a self declared GTI fan guy, who curse on his own favorite , and drooling + get high on the "piece crap".
how hypocritical is that? :)

But the same token , the truth is there . If you want a bit more luxurious daily driver, get a GTI. If you need performance get an Evo.
Everything else is way to personal to judge it.
I think its a good review. Since who ever will pick the R vs the EVo based on this review, that person should never buy an evo from the first place.
Evo is not for everyone for sure.

I say good review after all.

#63 · (Edited)
Surprised many people don't know that Mitsubishi is involved in many markets outside the automotive industry.
I like to look at them like a much much MUCH bigger Yamaha Corporation.
In fact, according to Wikipedia, their revenue for 2010 was US$ 248.6 Billion, US$ 7.2 Billion of profit, & they employ 350,000 people. Not many other corporations out there with those kinds of numbers :)

Core members

Asahi Glass Co.
Astro Holdings Sdn Bhd
The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd.
Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company
Mitsubishi Corporation
Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Mitsubishi Estate Co.
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd.
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation (MMC)
Mitsubishi Logistics Corporation
Mitsubishi Motors (Automobile manufacturing and sales)
Mitsubishi Paper Mills, Ltd.
Mitsubishi Plastics, Inc.
Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc.
Mitsubishi Shindoh Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Steel Mfg. Co., Ltd.
MSSC Inc.
Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation (part of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group)
Mitsubishi UFJ Securities
Nikon Corporation
Nippon Oil Corporation
NYK Line (Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha)
P.S. Mitsubishi Construction Co., Ltd.
Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
These companies are members of the Mitsubishi Kinyokai (or Friday Club), and meet monthly.

Related organizations

The main campus of Seikei University.
Atami Yowado
Chitose Kosan Co., Ltd.
Dai Nippon Toryo Co., Ltd.
The Dia Foundation for Research on Ageing Societies
Diamond Family Club
Kaitokaku
Koiwai Noboku Kaisha, Ltd.
LEOC JAPAN Co., Ltd.
Marunouchi Yorozu Corp.
Meiwa Corporation
Mitsubishi C&C Research Association
Mitsubishi Club
Mitsubishi Corporate Name and Trademark Committee
Mitsubishi Economic Research Institute
Mitsubishi Electric Automation (MEAU)
The Mitsubishi Foundation
Mitsubishi Kinyokai
Mitsubishi Marketing Association
Mitsubishi Motors North America
Mitsubishi Pencil Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Public Affairs Committee
The Mitsubishi Yowakai Foundation
MT Insurance Service Co., Ltd.
Nippon TCS Solution Center Ltd.
Seikadō Bunko Art Museum
Shonan Country Club
Sotsu Corporation
The Toyo Bunko
Seikei University

#64 ·
that is why we all should drive an evo to the bar and order a Kirin beer plus making pictures with a Nikon camera. And so on so forth. LOL

#67 ·
I like VW. In fact, my wife has one. I just don't understand when these asinine comparisons are made. It's like comparing a...

GT3 RS

...with a...

SL65 AMG

#68 ·
Think of Mitsu as the GE of Japan.
Most of those subs are for vertical integration, the main profit that keeps Mitsu alive is Mitsu Electric and Mitsu UFJ Securities. Mitsu Motors has been operating at a loss for several years, but their new electric vehicles seem to have achieved their goals, prevention of a shut-down.

#70 ·
I considered the Golf R32, STi, 370Z and the Evo. I went with the Evo hands down....why? Cause its a MUTHAF$%KING Mitsubishi Evolution!!!:rock:

I wanted to end up with a modded, loud, fast and handling machine. Every one who knows anything thing about the history of the Evo knows what its about. Noone on this forum would own one otherwise.

This douche just got a quick lesson on what the Evo is based on.....it sure aint luxary! :thumbup:

#71 ·
VW has nice interior to catch you. Then headliner starts to pop off, seat adjuster knob breaks off, soft rubber feel on the dash peels off from the sun. May look and feel good till things start to break.

First year of owning my evo, I hated the rattles, but have always loved the driving experience. I got over the rattles and the cheap interior and continue to love the performance. Over 60k on the clock and still going strong!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.