Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

GT3582R HTA makes 583 WHP 420 ft lbs on 93 Octane before Fuel Pump ran out! 600 WHP+

11K views 83 replies 27 participants last post by  ainawy101 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently finished up my ongoing project EVO X GSR. Some folks may remember it from the Detroit Free Press article.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100818/NEWS13/8180351/1319/Driver-tames-Evo-beast

Very please with results saturday. 583 WHP at 28 PSI. Straight 93 octane from Meijers. No additives, no meth,/water injection, nothing but pump fuel with stock fuel pump and lines. 600 WHP+ was possible but apparently the stock fuel pump was done at around 570 WHP so pulled it back to 27 PSI for now. Didn’t bother to do race gas as without enough fuel, no point. Car runs perfect with no check engine lights of any kind. All on stock ECU. Here is my list of engine mods.

Full exhaust (custom with dual Apexi titanium mufflers)
V-Band Downpipe Stainless Steel (ceramic coated) custom
Modified UR test pipe Stainless Steel (V-band front flange now)
GT3582R HTA with Tial SS vband housing 0.82 AR
Tial 44mm Wastegate 1.1 Bar (was red, now kinda pink)
Peak Boost Manifold SS (ceramic coated)
Agency Power Fuel Rail
DW1000CC injectors
ARP Head Studs
Ported Cylinder Head (DPR Stage V stock valves)
JUN Auto 272 Camshafts / Valve Spring
Exedy Twin Plate Clutch (HD)
DG Motors Master Cylinder conversion kit
Stainless clutch line
4" front mount intercooler upgrade
2.75" Upper IC piping w/HKS SSQV III Blow off valve
3" lower IC piping AGP
4 Inch intake pipe with reducer to 3.5 inch MAF housing
3.5 inch MAF housing with JM Fabrications Flange and Fujita 3.5 in Filter
AVCR boost controller
PLX DM-200
PLX SM-VAC / boost
PLX SM-AFR
Open source ECU with Tephra Mods V1

Pics of setup:

JUN 272 cams vs stock cams:

And the dyno sheet:

Many special thanks to Slowmotion Motorsports in Ohio for use of their dyno facilty and DPR Racing in California for their fantastic head porting services. I think the headwork and the JUN cams are the reason the car did so well. Tuning was done by Guru. New Fuel pump is needed, still waiting for someone to release something bigger than the 255 Walbro. Don’t want to go dual.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool!

Have a screenshot of the spool?

#15 ·
Actually started dropping pressure around 550 WHP. Was able to compensate with injector duty but only a little bit.
How on earth would the stock fuel pump even make it to 550whp? That's like 660 crank HP @ 20% losses? Just saying that dyno might closer to Florida spec since even the upgraded Walbro 255 fuel pumps are only good til 600 crank HP reliably. :confused2:

I don't want any other forum members to think it's a good idea to push a stock fuel pump that far without nuking their engine.

#17 ·
I'm pulling almost 4.5 volts on a 3.5 inch MAF and that turbo is certainly capable of some great airflow at 28 PSI so it's certainly making some great power. It helps a lot that the torque is staying VERY flat (380 ft lbs from 4500-8000). Stock fuel pump is much better than people think. 420 WHP on a dynojet? That's awefully weak for a GT35R or was that on a different turbo?

#20 ·
I'm pulling almost 4.5 volts on a 3.5 inch MAF and that turbo is certainly capable of some great airflow at 28 PSI so it's certainly making some great power. It helps a lot that the torque is staying VERY flat (380 ft lbs from 4500-8000). Stock fuel pump is much better than people think. 420 WHP on a dynojet? That's awefully weak for a GT35R or was that on a different turbo?
It's not that it's weak for a GT35R, that is where the fuel pump maxed out. Even if they had a 900whp capable setup strapped to the car with stock fuel pump they would still only make 420 whp.

Now I know every pump is going to perform a little different from the factory but the difference in your results compared to others is pretty huge. You either have a freak of nature factory pump or something isn't adding up here. :confused2:

#22 ·
I'll be happy to take up donations and take car to Pure Tuning in Toledo who have a dynojet AWD dyno and confirm those numbers. They were higher than I expected but Fuel pump gave out about where I expected it too and where I have seeen Walbro's give out on the same kind of dyno. I have NO reason to think that the car couldn't make 550 WHP on a DYnojet if not more.

#23 ·
I'll be happy to take up donations and take car to Pure Tuning in Toledo who have a dynojet AWD dyno and confirm those numbers. They were higher than I expected but Fuel pump gave out about where I expected it too and where I have seeen Walbro's give out on the same kind of dyno. I have NO reason to think that the car couldn't make 550 WHP on a DYnojet if not more.
Just to clarify... You're on the STOCK fuel pump???

You expected the stock pump to make 580++ WHP? How did you come about "expecting" that number???

#28 ·
Those numbers are still impressive for a stock pump imo.

#30 ·
Isnt a an upgraded pump pretty cheap? but then again you have to buy an adapter kit as well so it gets costly!! IMHO, i wont mess around with fuel...

#32 ·
People with 4k + turbo kits, which will eventually require 5k+ engine builds (on the cheap side) dont worry about $250 pump adapter kits. Or 500 double pumpers.

I have to call BS on this. LPH doesn't lie, and dyno numbers can. Guess which one I believe? I'm sure its still nice, but why the hell not spend the $ on a real fuel system?

#46 ·
Nobody is being dicks, they are being skeptical and for good reason.

Wow had no idea there were so many 12 year olds on this forum. You youngins best not post your negative comments till you're old enough to drive a car:ghey:
See above comment.

#39 ·
Well, you do see where people are coming from, right?

It's like you're sitting on a gigantic pile of gold, but refuse to pick any up until they make a shovel that looks like Mickey Mouse. This beautiful, beautiful gold, but you're just ignoring it, since...

Oh shit.

#38 ·

To get 600 flywheel horsepower you would need BSFC of .65 rail pressure of 43.5 and 1000cc+ injectors running 90% duty cycle on a 250lph pump. Just doing the math with a 17% drive trail loss the max whp that can be obtained on that set up is 498 +or-.

I'd say upgrade to the DW 1300cc injectors and an actual Warlbro 255HP and add anther 100 ponies on to that number.

Reference for those whom are interested;
http://www.autolounge.net/calculators/fuelflow.html

BTW; again dyno numbers are just a tuning tool not a end all # people.

#40 ·
sounds like you have gotten great results.

It may well be a high reading dyno, as hollywood said, it is a tuning guide, but you can understand that the community asking the questions because we have never seen a stock full pump that high before or above 400-420whp.

Congrats in getting a freak of a fuelpump. looking forward to more numbers and details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.