Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus CMC Failure

11K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  Kooldino 
#1 ·
Well i must be the 1 in a hundred for this to happen to but i installed the magnus cmc thinking i was doing preventative maint lol because i have a ACT 6 puck and HD presure plate and didnt want the stocker to fail but i have about 1000 miles on the magnus and there she blew clutch pedal stuck to the floor, i tried re bleeding but no luck, you can pump it up quick and get it to work but as soon as you hold pressure it sinks right to the floor and stays engaged,so i called magnus and was asked to leave name and number but have yet to recieve a return phone call.:wtfsign:

#4 ·
I guarantee we'll start to see more failed Magnus CMCs because they're finally being installed. SSP's unit was out for quite some time before the Magnus one and everybody just started bashing them without realizing that Magnus' unit was essentially brand new.

I'm really interested in how the SSp v. Magnus stuff will go.

#19 ·
The thing is, they're not "brand new" per say, they're just newly developed. It's not like the Evo 9 CMC is some majestic creature that only feeds on pure love and is scared by hate; they've been in use forever.

The SSP had a design failure, full stop, that made them stop working. My guess with the Magnus is either:

A) The CMCs themselves were bad, like a bad batch.
or
B) Someone is screwing the pooch on the install.

Neither of which makes the Magnus product look good, mind you, when you get BroSefs posting how their product dun failed them at the Piggly Wiggly and they had to be towed home.

#6 ·
I forgot to add, sorry for your luck, man. I hope you get it resolved. We, as Evo X owners, really need some legitimately strong alternatives to fix our CMCs.

#10 ·
Does Magnus use brand new MITSU EVO 9 CMC's? or are they refurbed units?

#14 ·
sorry dude!
I have this CMC but have only driven maybe 100miles so far
I know of a guy who went through 3 sets of these and has no luck it seems.. I like magnus and all their work.. maybe it wasnt installed right?

#15 ·
I believe it is hit or miss, some of the main companies out there are still running stock plastic clutch master cylinder with no issues, it really depends on the pressure plate and if you are running multi plate clutch. Some of the high horsepower setups like a few of the guys running very HD pressure plates are using either an evo 9 CMC or a Tilton CMC. I personally run a evo 9 CMC on my GSR, over 5k miles on it with zero problems what so ever.

#17 ·
okay i had a problem with my Magnus CMC like my pedal getting stuck once every now and then. I re bled the system and everything looked fine. It started happening again. There was leak in my clutch line at one end that goes to the transmission got it fixed at and after that everything is my CMC is good. Its been 2k miles i have had no problem with it except squeaking occasionally.

#21 ·
Well, the Evo 9's CMC should be fine. The problem is, ANY sort of aftermarket part is going to be a terrible install, just because it is what it is, and where it is.

I think the 9's CMC will hold up to damn near anything; you didn't see Evo 9 people bitching about their CMCs failing. Now, a "simpler" or "more straight forward less hacking of the firewall" CMC would be nice, but I don't know if it's really "worth it" for someone to develop one, given how terrible this market has been. It's like selling ham in Israel or something.

#22 ·
Hey, Pm Marco here.

Magnus Motorsports ; or email him at Marco@magnusmotorsports.com

he is usually pretty quick to respond.

Just curious, what steps did you take to bleed the CMC when you first got it and how long after first driving it did it become unusable.

Thanks,
NEWB

#23 · (Edited)
My Magnus CMC is doing the same thing... A very reputable shop installed it as well. I have about 3,000 miles on mine. The clutch pedal used to get stuck rarely only in reverse when I had to keep prolonged pressure on the clutch pedal. Now when I initially stop the car or try to engage first it for sure sticks to the floor.

If I jam the clutch pedal down real hard and let it come up fast its fine.

When I apply slow pressure and leave my foot there it feels like a vaccum just sucks the pedal to the floor.

It severly effects driveabilty. I have to constantly put my foot up under the clutch pedal so it doesn't go to the floor. I am hoping the clutch line has air in it. I have no idea what's wrong.

#24 ·
Truth be told, After seeing countless CMC failure threads, from the stock unit, to both SSP and now Magnus, I rather just get an evo 9 CMC and do the convertion as It seems like it would be much more stable.

#27 ·
My magnus still doesn't feel like stock, squeaks a bit and just doesn't feel solid. It works now though.

The guys describing your magnus problems sound just how mine acted right before mine took a dump. You probably need a new 9 MC.

#30 ·
Umm...yeah that's what I asked in the first page.... :bowlol:

Or the Magnus kit minus the EVO 9 CMC... if it is possible then go get a brand new one at the stealership or online.

#34 ·
I spoke with Marco @ Magnus today and he is sending a new unit out. There was no resistance at all. I think I might have the "damaged seals" Murlo had with his Magnus CMC. There was absolute complete cooperation with them thus far and I hope it continues. I bought it around late Sept. when it was like $300 so I dont know if they're just sending the Evo IX MC or both the MC and mounting plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.