Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Rotors: One Piece or Two

16K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  Motorsports Performance G 
#1 ·
I have gotten conflicting advice on whether to replace my rotors along with my pads. There is a pronounced "lip" on the rotors. The rotors have 40,000 miles on them.

Must I purchase two piece rotors or will one piece rotors be adequate for my daily driver?

Any advice on type and brand would be greatly appreciated, as well as what to avoid.

#2 ·
For DD my suggestion is centric rotors and magic pads, add some SS lines while your at it ... one piece is just fine for DD duty

#24 · (Edited)
Even If you track your car, stick with the 1 pc rotors
fixed :thumbup:

2 piece rotors are just toooooo expensive no matter what they are being used for. Unless you are racing competitively and you know you are losing because of your rotors, there's absolutely no point in the weight argument.

As for the heat/cooling vanes, all new single piece rotors have the same cooling vane designs as their 2 pc counterparts. The rings alone cost more than a pair on one piece rotors, which is absolute horse-shit IMHO.

#6 ·
best to ask somewhere local if it can be done (as they can see it in person). if it will stress your budget at all, then try to save the OEM's. Rotors aren't a massive upgrade for most people

there really is a weight difference between 2pc and 1pc. Took weights of my OEM 2pc rotors and my DBA4000's

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57947&page=20

I was surprised for some reason to see such a weight increase. the weight difference is not really noticeable though

#13 ·
From the parts fitment charts the Evo X MR and the Evo X GSR use the same brakes.

The Ralliart does not, however.

Do not use this information for the purpose of placing an actual order for parts without verifying that I am correct with the vendor and, if possible, one independent source as well.

#18 ·
2 piece rotors are by far our biggest seller, even though a lot of the guys ordering them are doing it purely because they want them and not for practical use. Nothing wrong with that, if budget allows it and replacement outer rings aren't expensive for future replacement (in Girodiscs case at least). That said, a 1 piece rotor is definitely adequate for daily driving and depending on which rotor you choose will likely be leaps and bounds above OEM.

#20 ·
The Girodisc front ones are 390 MSRP, about the same as the DBA's MSRP - and technically are replacing your full brake since the center hat doesn't need replacing. 2 piece is "better" than one piece so its technically a bargain! Beats the hell out of having to replace the ENTIRE 2 piece system for those that want to run them, lol.

#23 ·
#21 ·
The weight savings on 2 piece rotors is all on the hat. Which is very very close to the center of the wheel.

My point being, the 3 pounds you save per rotor is basically just 3 pounds of mass off the car. It's not really a factor in rotational mass or anywhere near as big of a factor as wheel and tire weight.

2 piece rotors are nice, but it's not mandatory for even a track car, most people could probably never feel or notice the difference.

#26 ·
I agree with KickAss on both of his most recent posts. Unfortunately 2pc rotors are for show cars, not track cars. Oh the irony!

#29 ·
I'm swapping out my two piece this Saturday for Power Slot Rotors and StopTech Performance pads. Hopefully its at least as good as the stock setup. I will miss the "look" of the two piece but thats all that the design benefited me :)

#33 · (Edited)
I'll do one better, I will show you a picture of GD rotors with vanes that are visible (not slots on the surface, vanes visible on the circumference):

As far as I know, even DBA uses their Kangaroo Paw vane structure on their 4000 Series one piece rotors. Only difference is the Hat between that and the 5000 series. Even Centric blanks are pillar vaned, which are not really as good as the angled vanes on the GD and DBA rotors, but nevertheless, vaned.

#32 · (Edited)
Even centrics are veined.

Here are the ones I ordered and they do come with directional veined for cooling:

Power Slot® Rotors

"Power Slot® rotors are 1-piece, slotted, direct replacement discs for your factory brake system and stock calipers. They offer improved cooling as well as other advantages the competition doesn't offer.
Launched in 1998, Power Slot® was the first premium slotted replacement rotor program in North America. Innovations include e-coating, double-disc grinding, full machining, mill balancing and center-split castings, as well as the availability of directional vanes, cryogenic treatment and the use of Power Alloy. Today, Power Slot® covers more than 2500 applications, all machined in Power Slot's® California manufacturing center. Every Power Slot® rotor is a direct replacement for a factory brake rotor, allowing the retention of factory calipers in the system."

"
Directional Vane Design

Most Power Slot® rotors match the original factory cooling vane design. In the most popular sports car and light truck applications, Power Slot® has improved the design by using directional (left- and right-handed) vanes to improve cooling. This represents a distinct upgrade from the original equipment rotors, which usually feature a straight vane or pillar vane design. The directional vane is a more efficient air pump. The resulting increase in airflow translates into greater resistance to brake fade and faster recovery from temperature spikes generated by aggressive braking maneuvers."

#35 · (Edited)
#47 ·
Yeah, which i thought was pretty much just to allow what i said before: the difference in thermal expansion of the 2 different metals, allowing you to use a lighter metal for the hats.

Or is there more?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.