Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Varis hood/hood pins?

10K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  simshahh 
#1 ·
So my varis hood should be arriving in the next few weeks and I was wondering if hood pins were an absolute must? I've seen a lot ppl on this forum with the varis hood and no hood pins. When I spoke with bulletproof they stated that they are recommended but many customers choose not to. I just don't want to have to drill holes in that hood if I don't have to. What's everyone's thoughts?

If I were to buy hood pins I would go with the aero catch ones.

#2 ·
Aero catch flush Carbon Look are the best bet for a seamless setup, that's what my customers typically go with when they order Varis hoods (or other carbon) from us.

I say get them, I always recommend it. If your hood pulls off and breaks, you are going to be a lot less happy than to have drilled into it which the big boys overseas like Varis or Garage G Force do themselves.

#3 ·
My shop wouldn't do the Aerocatch on my Varis Hood, Sean. They were worried about safety issues since the aerocatch are harder to mount in our engine bay, especially since the Varis hood sits higher. I might end up going with the pins Garage G-Force uses, but we can talk about that later. :thumbup:

#7 ·
They didn't like the mounting of the actual pins. It's difficult to find a good, solid spot to mount them because the Varis hood slopes up more aggressively. They're the guys who did my Runduce front, body work-wise they're good, they just didn't like the way they mounted.

They're the same ones who brought the C-West hood issues I had to my attention, if that says anything about their ethics.

#9 ·
so what would be the best bet then? i like the look of the aerocatch, but if they are not able to be done then what ones would look the best/have a similar style. i absolutely do not want to go with the generic sparco ones

#13 ·
That's what I thought, too. But they've always done right by me and my family (i.e. my parents graduated with the owner and four of the six guys working there went to high school with me, lol).

#21 ·
if you pop open your OE hood and look underneath, you will see two Rubber isolator / feet that is threaded into the hood near the front. If you look down right around the inside edge of the head light, you will see two holes in the plastic where you will see body color metal. this is where those rubber isolators go for the hood when its down. along with the front metal latch (and the rubber weather seal) this prevents your hood from vibrating. you will also notice two more of these feet toward the back of the hood near the sides back by the hinges.

your Varis hood will have a hole drilled out already for these isolators to thread into after removal from your OE hood... my shop thought, oh let's keep them there, and offset the hood pin slightly more towards the center. i mean. for all intensive purposes, they did the right thing, however, once the Aerocatch is latched, the front of the hood won't have nearly any vibrational play if the pins are at the correct length...

if you look at this picture of the aerocatch components:

the two rubber pieces slide over the pins, and are 'trimmed to fit' once the pin is installed into the metal frame. the top of the rubber goes basically hits the bottom of the aerocatch mechanism, which is flat. thus creating the isolation that the oem rubber nub does... preventing the front of the hood from moving any more so than necessary.

so i guess i have 'double' isolation... the only bad part is that i now to cut into the plastic shroud that covers the upper intake pipe in order to get the pins there.. not a big deal. just not as clean as i'd like. but function >>> looks i guess.

go to another shop. i just think they're scared to cut a $bigmoney CF hood and only one chance to do it right.... be forwarned... the bottom side will be opened up quite a bit to get to the mounting points of the aerocatch.

#25 ·
just where the OE indents are in the plastic...

see where those large holes are in the plastic where you see the red body paint? put the pins there, and then the aero catches aligned up with the natural hood line.

#27 ·
is that the mounting location you are saying ?

#28 ·
yes,

the red circled areas.

#31 ·
jisam Thanks alot for those pics

#32 ·
Glad this thread already exists because Im about to go this to my Varis hood...so, uhhh, subd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.