Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Calling all self tuners...

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  SamiEvoX 
#1 · (Edited)
....or anyone that wants to join the discussion. I know not everyone goes to a shop to have their car tuned and the forums are filled with so much information, if you can understand how to use evoscan and ecuflash or accessport, you can tune your own car pretty damn good. Report in this thread how your tuning is going and what numbers you're seeing. Did you dyno? How much whp and wt did you put down?

My mod list:

SC cold air intake
SC test pipe
SC upper intercooler pipe
Perrin Catback
DTM stage II intercooler
GST boost pill
All tuning including boost adjustment is done via ecuflash,evoscan(mode23 enabled)

My mivec map is custom tuned rather aggressive. The intake map is full of lots of 35's with a nice taper towards redline. On the exhaust side, I peak at -5 around 4000rpm and it rizes to zero by 6000rpm to redline.

Peak boost spikes to 26psi but settles at 25.5 and tapers to 20.5 by redline. The taper has been much better since installing the GST boost pill.

5000rpm - 25.5psi
5500rpm - 24.5
6000rpm - 24
6500rpm - 22.5
7000rpm - 20.5
7500rpm - 18

I might pick up a 3port later this year if I decide to go with a meth setup. However, power keeps climbing despite the taper.

Ignition timing is 7 degrees at peak torque rising to 20 by 7000.

5000rpm - 10 degrees
5500rpm - 15
6000rpm - 15
6500rpm - 18
7000rpm - 20
7500rpm - 19 (I'm hitting 1 to 3 counts of knock after 7k so I took some timing away)

My high octane fuel map is Gunzo's, but adjusted for the higher load cells that i'm hitting compared to his map. He has stated that its mid 12's afr during spool up falling to high 10's at redline. My wideband is still in my GSX so I haven't fine tuned my AFR's just yet.

I always tune for zero knock. I know its been said that 1 to 3 counts is ok, but considering this is my daily driver and a brand new car, i'd rather be on the safe side. Is my tune perfect? No, but its a start. There is still some more fine tuning to be done especially when a wideband gets in the car.

A big thanks goes out to all who have made this available. Tephra for the logging and hopefully some tephra mods in the near future, Bryan and GST motorsports for sharing all of this knowledge, Gunzo for creating a great base map, and ofcourse the creators of Ecuflash and Evoscan. A big thanks goes out to Pete at DG motors from me as I called him for some consulting over the phone and he was very very helpful in teaching me mivec tuning. He's a stand up guy and represents his shop very well.

See less See more
#2 ·
Report in this thread how your tuning is going and what numbers you're seeing. Did you dyno? How much whp and wt did you put down?
I am a self tuner and tuner as well. I hope you would let me share my info.

My mivec map is custom tuned rather aggressive. The intake map is full of lots of 35's with a nice taper towards redline. On the exhaust side, I peak at -5 around 4000rpm and it rizes to zero by 6000rpm to redline.
I will be testing a more aggressive mivec map this Sunday. It has more 35s in it. Before, I only advanced to 30s. I also advance mivec from 10 to 40 load and 1000 to 4000 rpm. This gives the Evo X a snappy throttle feel. I have done that on my Evo IX with great results. Try it and tell me if you feel a change.

On the exhaust side, I am using a slightly modified JDM exhaust map. I simply add -5* exhaust retard from load 200 to 320 from 2250 rpm to 4500 rpm. The rest of the map is the same as the JDM mivec exhaust map.

Peak boost spikes to 26psi but settles at 25.5 and tapers to 20.5 by redline. The taper has been much better since installing the GST boost pill.

5000rpm - 25.5psi
5500rpm - 24.5
6000rpm - 24
6500rpm - 22.5
7000rpm - 20.5
7500rpm - 18
I use the stock pills and was able to get an Evo X with mods like yours to hold the following boost numbers:

I might pick up a 3port later this year if I decide to go with a meth setup. However, power keeps climbing despite the taper.
I am thinking of removing one of the pills on the solenoid side like Cobb suggests to see what the test car does. Have you done that? Did the boost go up? Did the boost become erratic?

Ignition timing is 7 degrees at peak torque rising to 20 by 7000.

5000rpm - 10 degrees
5500rpm - 15
6000rpm - 15
6500rpm - 18
7000rpm - 20
7500rpm - 19 (I'm hitting 1 to 3 counts of knock after 7k so I took some timing away)
Here is a typical timing profile that I run on an Evo X with a TBE and an intake on 91 octane gas. I usually tune to 1-2 knock counts. If you tune for less than that, you will have to pull lots of timing and the Evo X becomes a complete dog.

My high octane fuel map is Gunzo's, but adjusted for the higher load cells that i'm hitting compared to his map. He has stated that its mid 12's afr during spool up falling to high 10's at redline. My wideband is still in my GSX so I haven't fine tuned my AFR's just yet.
Get your wideband hooked up. You should not tune w/o it. Here is the AFR that I run on an Evo X. The Evo X wakes up when the AFR is in the mid to high 11:1 ratio. Anything in the 10:1 makes the car a complete dog.

I always tune for zero knock. I know its been said that 1 to 3 counts is ok, but considering this is my daily driver and a brand new car, i'd rather be on the safe side.
Tuning for zero knock, makes the car slow. The Evo X has a tendency to register 1-2 counts of knock even when it is stock. It is always there in the rpm range. To remove these 1-2 counts you will have to pull more timing than needed. The car becomes slow. Tune to 1-2 counts and you should be fine.

Attachments

#5 ·
I am thinking of removing one of the pills on the solenoid side like Cobb suggests to see what the test car does. Have you done that? Did the boost go up? Did the boost become erratic?

I've heard this raises boost slightly ~ 1 to 2 psi, however, it doesn't help with taper. I think I read a post from Bryan @ GST stating that the pill that cobb removes is there for a particular reason and it should be left alone. Then again, why does Cobb say to remove it? I guess its worth a shot to try it out.

#3 ·
I'll test your intake mivec this weekend. My map seems to be a little more agressive until 7000rpm. My exhaust seems way different than yours. I'll post pics later. It also looks like i'm running a little more ignition timing than you and just a tad bit more boost in the 5500 to 6500 area. Post up your other more aggressive mivec map, i'd like to try it out as well.

This is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. hopefully we can fill this thread with lots of good information. Thanks, Looney.

#6 ·
Here are my mivec maps. Try at your own risk! Make sure to log AFR, Boost, and knock and adjust accordingly. this map should lower you're boost so adjust it back to where it was. Report back your findings. It is still a work in progress.

This originally started as the intake map that Bryan posted. I created how it is now by comparing to other maps, HIboost, JDM, Gunzo, and also the help I got from Pete at DG.

The exhaust map is close to HiBoost's map but with my topend settings.

Attachments

#8 ·
I'll definitely chime into this thread as soon as EvoScan works properly for me. I haven't tried the most recent beta, so I might be able to have some results fairly soon.

BigT, if you have a second, could you copy the values of the Mivec maps into an excel sheet? It makes it much easier to compare/copy/etc.

#10 ·
I'm installing my wideband as soon as my hfc comes in. Should start self tuning shortly there after.

#17 · (Edited)
Well tonight the temp was finally comfortable, 75degrees, and the humidity wasn't killer so I did some logs. I'm hitting 280 load by 5500rpm and 25psi by 3000rpm. This was in 4th gear starting at 2000rpm and on a residential street hence me not going to redline. I think i'm going to just stick to 4th gear tuning now. All other logs and my tuning was down utilizing 3rd gear pulls.

But, car is going into limp mode. =( I think its my boost target engine load map that needs tweaking. I'll head to an autozone tomorrow and get it scanned to see which code is popping up. The damn pcmscan demo I downloaded won't connect to my car for some reason.

#21 ·
Well I went to the track tonight to see how the car will do.

Peak boost - 27.01 (only for a sec, mostly 26psi falling to 20 by redline)
Timing at redline - 18 degrees
My mivec map slightly adjusted since I last posted.
AFR's were 11.5 at peak torque tappering to 11.2 at redline

First run:

Completely and utterly bogged the launched. Was trying to save face with the stock clutch and set the launch rpm too low and slipped the clutch too fast.

2.3 60ft

13.4 @ 107

The car nearly stalled on the line hence the poor short time. lol

Second run:

Set the launch rpm higher and was prepared to slip the clutch just a tad. Well, the clutch slipped alright, but the whole entire pass.

2.1 60ft (came off the line like a fwd hitting the rev limiter due to the slippage)

13.1 @ 107

I have never launched my evo other than tonight. I'm dissappointed with the mph, but I know she has so much more in her. I'm actually confident to say that she'll do 110 in the traps with a good clutch. The disc seems to be glazed over and i'm hoping she'll cool off nice over night. I need it to last at least a month until my next week off from work. I'll have time to pull the tranny then. On the way home, anything over 7psi and she was letting go. :(

Hardly any knock on the first pass. A blurp of 1 count twice. The second pass I didn't log because I kicked the wire off the tactrix port.

#24 ·
I know alot of people dont like to launch their car on the streets but I do when roads are empty because it takes a little practice to learn the Evo launch and slip the clutch correctly. So if you're launching it for the first time at the track and slip it too long, most likely you will burn the shit out of your clutch. The stock clutch can do quite well with the proper technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.