Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Matte Clear Plasti-Dipped WW Evo X

36K views 138 replies 50 participants last post by  Slammed0 
#1 · (Edited)
ALL DONE! PICS on PAGE 8!

Hey guys, since I had a thread about this on EvoM, figured I'd start one here. I ordered 2 gallons of Matte Clear Plasti-Dip Spray (RDS), along with the Earlex 3500. I will be spraying my car this Saturday, with 3 light coats of the matte clear plasti-dip, to give it a frosted/matte look.

Can't wait to see how it turns out, here's the car as it sits:

Finally got my Earlex 3500 yesterday as well, dip should be here Friday!

I will keep this thread as a log of the process, and final results.

Stay tuned!

See less See more
#9 ·
Here's matte clear over a black Mazda 3:

Jeremy, you just spray a quart of water through it when you're done? I know after a few big dips you'll need to deep clean it, disassemble etc. But for the first few, just spray a full quart of water through it?

#15 ·
If you're doing matte clear over your stock paint, 1 gallon is sufficient.

If you're doing a full color change, you'll need 3-4 gallons, depending on if your car is light/dark and if the end resulting dip you want to be light/dark.

I'd always say order 4 gallons to be sure, never hurts to have a little extra dip on hand for touchups :thumbup:

#20 ·
It's actually the same price form both.

However I have Prime with Amazon, so free 2-day shipping. Otherwise I would have paid like $15 from DYC for shipping.

#28 ·
Jeremy, did you see my last question for you?

When you're done, you just spray a whole quart of paint thinner through it, and disassemble the whole tip to clean by hand?

#29 ·
Sorry bud, didn't see that one.

I don't use a quart, just enough to spray through the gun until it starts spraying clear. Then I remove the pick up tube, white gasket, and disassemble the tip and make sure it's totally clean. If you don't do this when spraying next time you can have little bits of the previous color spit out. Last thing you want it to be dipping a white car and have bits of black dip shoot out.

#30 · (Edited)
So how many gallons of this would be enough to do an evo x with left over dip?

Also I remember talking about doing this a wile back. People didn't agree. Then a member n here did it and he got flamed. Then Jeremy did it and he had nut swingers. The swingers were the same dudes that flamed the other dude for doing it lol. Some people's kids

#32 ·
So how many gallons of this would be enough to do an evo x with left over dip?

Since you're not changing the color and only making it a matte finish 1 gallon would be enough for full coverage, but I would personally lay more then 1-2 coats so it's easier to peel off later down the road if needed.

5 coats is super super easy to remove....1-2 coats is a major PITA!!

If you're changing the color of your car from say white to black, you'll need 4 gallons and you should have a 1/2 gallon left over. This is the case with most colors regardless of the base color of the car. The only major exception is when using the Firebelly Orange. For what ever reason that specific color normally requires and extra coat or two for full coverage.

#31 ·
Depends on what you're doing.

Matte clear only requires 1 gallon for 3 light coats on the car.

If you're doing a whole color change, you'll need 3-4 gallons, depending on if you're dipping dark-to-light, light-to-dark, etc.

#37 ·
Yeah, plasti-dip is becoming huge, it's going to take over the wrap industry IMO.

Much cheaper, no sticky residue left behind, easy to repair sections that get chipped up/scraped/etc.

#49 ·
ROFL THEY SENT U THE OPPOSITE ITEM!!:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.