Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

SST production date stamp not matching vehicle build date?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  fearfulmaster 
#1 ·
While looking at the SST, I noticed a circular stamp on the bottom of the SST, not too far from one of the drain plugs. The stamp has 08 and 20 on it. I wonder if it means the SST was manufactured in the 20th week of 2008.

If that is the case, that means the SST was made 2 years before the car, which means I may have a refurbished SST. Sometime ago, SSP had a thread about possible refurbished SST on new cars.

www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43919

but they didn't say anything about the stamp and the build date of the car. Only about some engraving on the clutch basket.

I know the SST has to be built before the car, but I wonder if it would be sitting in a warehouse for 2 years before being fitted to a vehicle.

Oh well......

#3 · (Edited)
It is hard to tell what the stamp means with a sample of one. But if others can report back on what they have on the stamp and the build date of the car when they change their SST fluid, then we can guess whether the stamp is the manufacture date.

Another person here said their stamp has 10 and 40 on it, which suggests it might be a date stamp. Oh well, I can only hope they did a proper job when refurbishing the SST.

#11 ·
The car did come with a slight SST leak. The leak was sufficient to cause a wet spot on the under body tray. They changed the pan gasket.

About 12 months after the fix, the gasket is slowly sweating. The dealer cleaned it and asked me to go back after a week. They said it was bone dry after a week so it wasn't serious enough for them to do anything.

It has been slowly sweating ever since, not enough to drip onto the under body tray. The sweating maybe seasonal too. From memory, it sweats more during winter.

Not worrying about it any more as I still got around 6.1L out of the 3 drain plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.