Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Blown Up!!!!!

26K views 123 replies 69 participants last post by  blazevo 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I now rate a fail crew member slot, my car has 6993 miles on her, and i was leaving the dealership yesterday, took a right turn on to western, while shifting from first to second, it sounded like something jumped up from under the car and bounced around or like a missile hit the motor and......BOOOOMMM!!!!!!!!!! block pieces and oil everywhere! I was able to cruise right into the mall parking lot, which was like not even a half mile from the dealership and had the wife come get me and i went got all the the stockies and tools and got her back to stock form in about three hours. dropped her off at dealership, just playin the waiting game now. post pics later.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wish you luck on getting it fixed.

#3 ·
This is what haunts my dreams at night....that and my car being stolen.

#4 ·
Was the car tuned? This occurred shifting from 1st-2nd, but at what rpm? Out of curiosity, what is the build date of your car? Were you runing factory oil weight? Did you happen to perform an oil analysis at 5k miles? Did you recently try a new gas station? Did you $hit your pants?--kidding!

Sorry to hear about this! This is not the fist we have heard about engine failures, so I believe ANY info you can provide may be helpful to understand the root cause of failure.

#6 ·
i hope its not your motor and they dont say anything about the intake and FORGE WGA.

#12 ·
I was able to go over there and check out the damage. I was heartbroken when I saw it. Luke I dunno how u handled it as well as you did. Props to you for that. Keep us informed bro!

#13 ·
How did the conversation go with the service dept? A little awkward I would expect...

#14 ·
List of mods to not get...

Mods:
AMS Intake
AMS UICP
AMS LICP
AMS Trunk Badge for 1HP/1TQ lol J/K!!
Forge Wastegate Actuator
Autometer Boost Gauge
AEM Uego Wideband

LOL, j/k.

I hope a swift and favorable resolution is found to this. Any updates on this? +1 for all the previously asked questions.

#15 ·
LOL, +1 Kimi!!, I was running 93 Octane, and the forge was 28 lbs on the dyno, no tune yet, i did intake then forge wga then upper ic pipe then lower ic pipe, with 2 to 3 months in between each mod. I was at the dealership because my sport package E-Brake broke out of the blue, and they were supposed to call me when it came in and they never did, so i set up my appointment for mon, and as i pulled out of the dealership i think i was maybe 3000-35000 rpm durning shift when it happened, i think alot of the problem came from when i was running the Greddy type-s i hit overboost a few times, and the fact the Forge WGA holds boosts extremely too well,lol but the service department knew my car and knew i took very good care of it, they always tell me if i need to bring it in, put all the stock parts back on first, so i did, thanks James for coming to my aid!!lol

#17 ·
I was running 93 Octane, and the forge was 28 lbs on the dyno, no tune yet...i think i was maybe 3000-35000 rpm durning shift when it happened, i think alot of the problem came from when i was running the Greddy type-s i hit overboost a few times, and the fact the Forge WGA holds boosts extremely too
So THAT'S how your motor blew.

What the hell were you thinking man. Over boosting with no tune? That's just nuts.

:wtfsign:

#16 · (Edited)
Also, i had mitsu do the last oil change so if it wasnt done right its on them, i myself didnt do the oil analysis myself, i dont know if the dealership did, same station all the time, yes my AMS Trunk Badge is properly installed, lol, pics up soon of the damage i could see.

#20 · (Edited)
Wait. You had the car at 28lbs untuned? Of course you grenaded your engine. What were you thinking?

You've got to pay to play. Why did you take all the parts off and put the stock parts back on? Just be honest and take responsibility. You blew your engine...not Mitsu.

They are going to know this damage didn't happen with a stock car. They will deny the warranty for all of it and make you pay out of pocket. Guys like you are part of the reason why guys with stock cars can't get warranty service.

Good luck getting your car put back together, but please man up and pay for it.

#25 ·
When you got the first overboost codes, wouldnt you go get it tuned immediately or drop boost to a healthy level. 28 lbs on any car is rough. since this thing runs so rich without a tune, you just dumped so much air and so much fuel that your engine went kaput. and at 3-4k rpm, thats right around peak boost. you were playing with fire and got burnt. sucks. no sympathy here.

#26 ·
Wow man... I'm sorry. Sucks to hear. GL with everything.

Sucks that you had to be the one to find this out. thanks for telling the rest of us though. apreciate it. At least the whole forum can learn from this.

#27 ·
Im not asking for anybody's sympathy, and it was 28 lbs at wot on the dyno, but the general drive of boost was usually around 22-24 lbs, and yes the first time i did get overboost, i took the mbc off and the type s and went back to stock soleniods and stock bov, i have had several issues with the car that the dealer techs had trouble with, AND I immediately went there before i took the stuff off and told them that I blew the motor, being that its still under warrenty and under 7000 miles they advised me to put the stock stuff back on, even though THEY knew the parts i had on my car, my car was very well liked by the dealer and its techs, and they want to help me with the problem asap as I have brought them much business. this wasnt a thread for *******s to come on here and bash me, it was a thread for the community to hear about a problem caused and dealt with. Obviously some people get it and some dont. I been through and through dsms and 4g63 motors, and this is the first motor i have ever blown. A new motor, a new style and now new limits to learn and push to learn about these cars.

#33 ·
yea, my bad, didnt mean to get all bash-ey. You know what happened and now you learn, right? Like others said, we now know more about the car than before and its good that you shared your experience with us. Hope everything comes out positively. Thats good the dealer is being really helpful about this and providing support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.