Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

ddawg's '08 GSR Adventures. 5 years in the making

110K views 692 replies 84 participants last post by  Steve-o 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm finally making this thread for 3 reasons:

1) My warranty is officially expired so Mitsu can't shove this in my face. Nah, jk I've never hid my mods at dealerships.
2) To share with others the hard earned lessons I've been taught from 5 years of ownership and having the mod bug. Including product reviews and personal opinions.
3) For me to have a place to both keep track of what I've done, and ask advice from others on where I should go next.

NOTE: If it's underlined in my posts, it's usually hyper-linked and you can CLICK IT

The Evolution of my Evo

From Then: (the morning after I got her from the dealership)

To Now:

MASTER LIST OF ALL MODS
Performance
-AMS custom tune on Cobb AP: 360whp / 350wtq
-AMS downpipe
-Carbonetic Street Twin Disk Clutch
-Specialty X Exhaust
-Specialty X Resonated Test Pipe
-AMS CAI
-AMS UICP & LICP
-AMS FMIC
-Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
-AMS Front Motor Mount (70A)
-AMS Under hood shifter bushings
-[STRIKE]Exedy Stage 2 w/ ACD Streetlite[/STRIKE]
-[STRIKE]Specialty X HFC[/STRIKE]

Suspension/Brakes
-Muellerized Ohlins
-Girodisc 2 Piece Rotors & S/S Brake Pads
-Whiteline rear camber arms
-Whiteline RCK and bushings
-[STRIKE]HAWK HP+ Brake Pads[/STRIKE]

Wheels & TIRES
-Volk TE37SL Hyper Blue (18x10.5+22)
-Wedsport SA55M in BBM (18x10+18)
-Yokohama Advan S.4s (245/40R18)
-Dunlop Star Specs (275/35R18)
-Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s (245/40R18)
-Hoosier R6s (275/35R18)
-[STRIKE]Yokohama Advan A13C[/STRIKE] (245/40R18)

Aero/Vanity
-Varis Runduce Front bumper
-Varis '09 version side skirts
-Varis Euro Spec GT Wing
-20% Window Tint
-BlackLine ARC Replica titanium shift knob
-[STRIKE]OEM Mudflaps[/STRIKE]

Safety
-Autopower Roll Bar
-Schroth Rallye 4 harness

Reliability Mods
-AEM Analog AFR Guage
-Magnus Evo IX CMC
-Jack's Transmission Rebuild
-SSP Undertray

Miscelaneous
-Passport 9500IX Radar Detector
-GoPro HD HERO 3 Black Series
-Lots of tools
-Lots of fluids
-[STRIKE]Yakima Roof Rack[/STRIKE]

VENDORS I'D LIKE TO THANK
-Fred Beans Parts. Always amazing prices.
-Sean @ DSG Performance. Very helpful, most active vendor on the forums ever. Great guy.
-AMS Performance. Thanks for all the R&D and time spent on making highest quality parts for the Evo community.
-Tim O from Jacks Transmissions. If you've dealt with Jacks before, you know Tim is the man. And he will answer your never ending stream of questions.
-Jeremy at SSP. Kicks *******'s asses, what more needs to be said about the man?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
MODS

I'm going to try and compile a detailed list of the mods that I've done to the car along with reason's why i did them and links to further information.

1) My first Mod: Passport 9500i w/ the direct wire smartcord.
Mileage: 500

I love the radar detector. 5 years now I've had it and I'm very happy it's been with me.
First impressions and why I got it
Further info when I upgraded it to the 9500ix

2) Second Mod: Who said the evo can't be practical? Yakima roof rack and bike mounts:
Mileage: 15,000

Some more pics of the bike rack
Good thread with lots of pics of bike and snow racks and info about them

3) First Performance Mod: Cobb AP, and flashed stage 1 tune.
Mileage: 17,000
Not much to say here that hasn't been discussed a million times. For someone new to modding cars and wanting to be as careful as possible, the AP offered a good solution for both performance gain and peace of mind as lots of people had been using it for a long time with no issues.

4) Second Performance Mod: Exedy Stage 2 clutch w/ ACT streetlite flywheel.
Mileage: 24,000
I loved the AP stage 1 tune maybe a bit too much and needed a new clutch. I also had the AMS clutch line, and AMS underhood shifter bushings installed. The shifter bushings made a much larger difference in the shifting feel then I had expected and I'd highly recommend them to anyone as a cheap but effective upgrade.

5) Third Performance Mod AMS downpipe with AEM wideband gauge
I figured I'd install these so I could safely monitor AFRs.
A fun read about the downpipe
My gauge setup:

6) My first time on the Dyno: Mustang Dyno on 5/29/10 (fun times with everyone in IEG!)
Mileage: 25,000
Numbers: 283whp/253wtq

7) Specialty X Exhaust + High Flow Cat
Mileage: 27,000

I love this exhaust. Besides being so damn pretty, it's has a deep throaty note without being too loud. If you don't hate fumes as much as I do then I'd go for the resonated test pipe to get a bit more noise and a bit throatier tone.

More info on the exhaust

The only downside to the exhaust is it does hang a bit low and suffered a bit of damage in my recent accident. Insurance did cover the damage though, and compensated me for replacing the exhaust.

More info on the accident for those curious.

8) Flashed AP Stage 2. Second time on the Dyno:
Mileage: 30,000
Numbers: 309whp/301wtq

#3 · (Edited)
MODS Continued...

9) Magnus Evo IX CMC Adapter Plate & Evo IX CMC
Mileage: 31,000
(you can click this picture... how cool is that!?)

After 6k miles on my Exedy Stage 2 clutch, the CMC finally failed while trying to take a date to a soccer game :duh:
Good thread with info on the Magnus CMC Upgrade

10) Carbonetic Street Twin Clutch
Mileage: 34,000

I hated the Exedy Stage 2 for daily driving, and was relieved when it started having clutch drag issues.
For more information on the Carbonetics Clutch and why I chose it.

11) Jacks Transmission Evo X Performance Rebuild
Mileage: 34,000

I figured while the transmission was out anyway for fixing the clutch that I should go ahead and send the transmission to Jacks. The real reason for doing this was fear of the center diff pins backing out.
A good writeup from Hollywood on what Jacks does for the rebuild.

Side Note: I also then ran Redline MT-90 in the transmission. Having tried the OEM Diaqueen, Redline cocktail, and Redline MT-90, I prefer the OEM Diaqueen unless it's hot. I plan on running MT-90 now in the summer and for auto-x, and diaqueen in the winter.

12) Volk TE37SLs in Hyper Blue (18x10.5+22)
Mileage: 37,000

I had wet dreams about these for 4 years and finally had the budget to buy them. I'll get some better pics soon, as I finally have access to a decent camera.

If anyone ever tells you the wheels aren't worth the money, tell them to shut up and watch this:

13) AMS CAI, AMS UICP and AMS LICP
Mileage: 38,000

I definitely was able to feel a nice increase in the response of the engine to throttle inputs. But the NOISE, omg is the NOISE BEAUTIFUL. If you haven't had the pleasure to hear the AMS CAI, you need to find someone with it and ride along. Flashed the appropriate AP Map and the car definitely pulled harder, although no dyno numbers, sorry people.

#4 · (Edited)
And even more MODS:

The awesome & very adventurous road trip
Mileage: 41,000-45,000
My job compensate me gas mileage to drive out to Farmington, NM for a 2 month extended field assignment. I figured this was a perfect opportunity to really have some fun driving the evo. So I spent the weekends exploring the four corners region (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico).

I found some truly awesome roads:

Check out my review of the GoPro: http://rawevo.com/evo-x/reviews/review-gopro-hero3-black-edition/

And took some cool pics:

But also had quite a few adventures:
From: my coworker running over a rock in my car when I let him drive
To: almost having a pickup slide out of control into me on a snowy mountain pass
Until finally: having a pickup force me off road and cause quite a bit of damage to the car

Rebuild Time
Mileage: 45,000

14) SSP 2 piece Under Tray w/ Jacking Point

I don't have much to say about it yet, except it looks soo pretty. I can't mount it to my car until I get my new front bumper in, so have been longingly looking at it in my garage for several months now.
Jeremy at SSP is an awesome guy and we had a good talk about the need to protect the undercarriage better in these cars. Very easy guy to deal with, give him a call if you need anything.

15) Whiteline Rear Camber Arms

A must have for a track car, these make adjusting rear camber a breeze, (unless you are firestone and break my rear eccentric bolt...)

16) Varis/Runduce Front bumper and Varis CF Side Skirts
No pics yet as still waiting to get the bumper. I'm soo excited though. I love you insurance money!

17) WedsSport SA55M in BBM (18x10+18)
OEM wheels were all damaged in the accident, so time for an upgrade!

These wheels are just ungodly pretty. Check out that blue blur when in motion.

CAUTION! All Interested Buyers Read: The paint on these wheels is DELICATE. they come with extended 19mm sockets as the hub is so recessed. Don't make the mistake I did, buy lug nuts that are 19mm (with no locking nut) and use the included socket to put them on and take them off! If not you risk the paint being chipped around the lug nut area. It sucks balls, but the wheels are just soo damn pretty!

Enough Rebuilding, Back to Modding

17) Muellerized Ohlins Road & Track with DFV
Mileage: 46,000
WINNER: Best MOD I've done to the car!

This suspension wins by unanimous vote (mine) as the best mod I've done to the car. Accompanying this mod were the Whiteline RCK and Whiteline Front Control Arm Bushings.

The quality of these shocks is apparent from the moment you open the box. They ride amazingly well on the road, so well the girlfriend didn't even know I had changed the suspension until I told her.
On the track and spirited driving, the car handles a ton better. A lot less body roll obviously, but more impressive is the way the car just attacks every turn, and how responsive the vehicle is in mid corner to steering input changes. Worth every penny.
Don't trust my opinion? Click here for more reviews.

19) Girodisc 2 piece rotors with Girodisc S/S Pads
Mileage: 46,000

Detailed Review of these coming shortly.

20) AMS FMIC and Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
Mileage: 46,500

Both were purchased in preparation for my custom tune at AMS on May 17th, dyno numbers to come shortly...

21) Specialty Z Resonated Testpipe
Mileage: 47,500

I decided since I live in a state without emissions laws to go for a bit more volume and less restriction then the HFC. I've been happy that the stink of exhaust gas hasn't bugged me yet.

#5 · (Edited)
22) Custom AMS Dyno Tune
Mileage: 49,000
Numbers: 358whp/350wtq

Drove up to Chicago for a long weekend, god I miss Chicago. Great city. Took the car to AMS to get a custom dyno tune. I was pleased with the results:

I also had them check compression and the results were better then I expected. The car is still running like a champ. The tuning process was a bit disappointing though, very disconnected from the tuner. I don't have the sense that I could call to ask questions or really get help if I had any issues or concerns. I also don't feel like care was taken to really get the best results.
But, that said, I haven't had any issues and I was happy with the results. I trust that AMS has experience and that the tune will be safe for the track, which is the one point I continuously stressed. They did raise the Rev limiter by 300rpm without telling me they were going to do that, I was a bit upset about that when I found out. But 300 RPM shouldn't really be a worry.
I also wish I had a before and after graph, but as they installed the 3-port before putting it on the dyno, they did not perform a before run, something else I was a bit disappointing about as I was evidently naively expecting that that would be automatically included for $600. So I have to rely on but dyno, which says the car is a bit faster, but i'd say it's only maybe a 10-20 whp gain over the AP Stage 2 ots map I was running. I would highly suggest anyone running a stage 2 ots map to save their money and only go for a custom tune once they have accumulated several parts that go beyond the OTS maps.

23) Second Boomba Dyno Graph
Mileage: 49,000
Numbers: 320whp/325wtq
I took the car to Boomba the next day where I met up with some of my peeps from IEG/Grip Union. Put the car on Boomba's mustang dyno again. Boomba's new location was very nice, I was impressed with the shop.
Increase over AP Stage 1 tune: 40whp/60wtq

That graph is the next day and as close as it can get to identical temperature and humidity. That goes to show the extreme difference between dyno's for anyone curious.

Of interesting note, while the curves look identical in both graphs, the car recorded almost 2 pounds of additional boost on the mustang dyno then on the dynojet.

#6 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Looks good so far! I love the extra details! Sean is a great man! Has helped me out endlessly! My car is proving out on the track that he knows what he is doing!

#9 · (Edited)
So I just got my car back from the dealership where I took it to have them fix the newly installed oil pan which was leaking as well as a leaking cv boot (driver side rear inner).

They resealed the oil pan under warranty, but then told me that they found another leak: my rear main seal.

F^%&
Mileage currently at 46,580

#11 ·
So after 3 days of careful observation I'm 99% certain that my Rear Main Seal isn't leaking. From looking into both the clutch inspection port, and observing the little hole between the transmission and engine where the dealership claimed oil was leaking from, there hasn't been a single drop of anything.

it's funny though as the clutch engages noticeably softer after getting it back from the dearlership then ever before. I can't help but wonder if when they were cleaning the bottom of the engine off that they might have blown some oil up into the clutch area. That's what they then noticed leaking back out.

Either way, I wiped it down clean several days ago and have placed paper towel under it everytime it's parked and not a drop or sign of any oil for over 3 days now.

However, I do have another leak and would appreciate it if anyone could help me diagnose this leak:

This is the bottom of the transmission on the drivers side looking from the front back. It's been dripping something from that spot for over a week now. Any ideas?

#12 ·
I would assume it's the RTV seal between the transmission bell housing and the rest of the gearbox or the axle shaft seal on the driver's side of the transmission.

#13 ·
Thanks,

hopefully it's just the axle shaft seal cause that looks like a relatively easy fix. I'll try to get a closer look tonight to see if i can't backtrace that fluid to where it originates from.

#14 ·
Finally installed my AMS FMIC, it's been sitting in my garage begging to be put on for too long.

Now to just not drive hard till I get tuned.

#15 ·
Was the FMIC the only thing you changed that you think you need tuned?

You should be fine, go do some logs to verify but not much usually changes tune wise with a FMIC. U might hit new load cells with better flow and cooler temps but that's about it, maybe some WGDC adjustments but that's a stretch.

I went from stock to 4in ETS did before and after logs and there was almost no difference tune wise.

#16 · (Edited)
I've been logging it today while driving. So far AFRs are fine and knock is low, occasionally 1 or max 2 counts. But I haven't done any WOT pulls yet, so can't comments as to the effect on boost. I'm getting custom tuned on May 17th, so it's not that long to wait and drive cautiously.

Edit
Just did a few WOT pulls in 3rd from ~2k rpms. Boost peaked at 23.7, AFRs dropped to low 11s then high 10s, and 0 counts of knock, which is cool cause I used to usually get 1 or 2 counts. I don't think it makes any more power, just seems to reduce knock count, which makes sense.

#17 ·
Finished updating the first several posts to the point I think I'm caught up with my mods now.

I was thinking of adding some tire reviews as I've been through several different setups now, and maybe a list of all the warranty/maintenance work that has been done to the car (above and beyond regularly scheduled). Any other good ideas on info people would like to see or information I can share?

#18 ·
Random Question of the day:

Anyone ever consider trading in their evo to buy an evo?

I have to admit been toying with the idea. I love the car so plan on having it for a long time. Most of the mods could be swapped to the new car and I'd return my car back to stock (I've kept all the stock pieces), and so not much loss due to the money I've dumped into the car.

I've also been toying with the idea of stepping up to the MR. I LOVE the GSR and the stick shift, the appeal to me of the MR though is I'm getting more hardcore into racing, and the SST has really proven itself. Besides, I'd get a warranty again! (sort of lol)

Ideas?

#24 ·
Yes. I have no plans on moving from the Evo and really like it. I've thought about trading my MR in for another MR just because. But in the end, I realize I only have 14k miles on my car and it would take FOREVER to bring it back to stock.
I can assure you, the SST is devastating on the track. I am not trying to say the GSR is inferior and start that debate in any way, shape or form. Although you cannot run HUGE power thru the SST, you don't need to. My track buddy has a GSR with more power than me struggles to keep up, partly because of the prowess of my transmission.
Trust me, I honestly enjoying shifting. Some of the most fun I've had in a car was banging thru the gears of my old Viper GTS. But I'll sacrifice the sensation of manual shifting on the mantle of Victory any day of the week......:rock:

#20 · (Edited)
The shifting feel was improved noticeably. The biggest difference I felt with the transmission rebuild was that the shifts just felt more precise. I'm pretty sure that feeling was due to the tighter tolerances with the rebuilt unit. Pulling through the gears definitely was rewarding.

Now I haven't said it made it buttery smooth, because it didn't necessarily. I had redline MT-90 put in the transmission at the same time, and that is one thick fluid when cold. When warm the shifts were amazing, but cold and the shifts were definitely notchy. Not horrible, but enough that I'd try to take it as easy on the car as I could until the fluid warmed up.

Now that I'm back to the oem diaqueen in the transmission, it's definitely very smooth, but still needs to warm up a bit.

#21 ·
Yeah, I have the redline cocktail in there now, and have for about..hmm...20k miles so far. There's some 1-2 and 2-3 notchiness I want to eliminate though, and Jack's pricetag on a rebuild is actually quite nice. I almost did it with my build but didn't have time, but I can learn to pull the tranny myself and send it off when I get to the west coast. lol

#22 ·
Yeah, and definitely worth it to just do it when you are doing the clutch. As I have an '08 and seem to have everything that can go wrong go wrong, I wanted to just get on top of the possible diff pin issue.

Also, the exedy stage 2 had been clutch dragging and so I figured a refresh with new synchros couldn't hurt. The price is very reasonable and the turn around time is very fast. Tim's a great guy and they were very good about answering my million questions.

#26 ·
Great thread! I love when people post exact build specs and mileages like this. Gives us newer evo owners an idea of when to expect some things and what to expect with mods. Keep it up!
As for moving to a newer evo, not a bad plan! Warranty, fewer miles, and a new car. Ultimately up to you man
Thank you! I know I'm not breaking any new ground with my mods, but what I do know is where all the info is located after years of being on the forums. So I was hoping to share some of that knowledge.

Which reminds me I plan on adding as detailed a list as I can remember of maintenance work (outside the usual oil change/ tire rotation) and warranty work I've had done.

#25 ·
Yeah,

I know. It's getting very tempting. I'm thinking I might go test drive one this weekend.

But no joke on how long it would take to switch it back to stock. I know you have even more done, but I'm still stuck in that it'd take me several days of labor to swap back.

I'd also have to get a GG cause my front bumper is messed up and I'd make them swap bumpers between vehicles or else my car would probably be worth shit. And while I love GG, if I were to get another evo I think I'd want to change colors.

I've got a long life left ahead of me though. And this car is finally almost paid off lol. So I was thinking about it a lot but I'll probably stick with this car and enjoy no car note and in the future at some point I'll get a sports car with a twin clutch.

#27 ·
I've had the same thoughts as well - if there was any better time, it would be now for me. I only owe about 8k on my SE

but both used and new are still so expensive still. after all said and done, I don't think I'd end up much ahead/even, so....oh well

#28 ·
I've considered trading in or selling the evo to get an FRS, repeatedly, like every day, for the past 6 months.

Still haven't done it though :p. Doesn't make financial sense cause FRS mods are still super expensive just like Evo mods and the only thing I'd gain is reliability and gas mileage but sacrifice overall performance.

I ride in S2k's often and not sure if I could enjoy racing a car even slower than an NA S2k.

#29 ·
Ddawg and HappyMint, what type of warranty work have you had done? I've never set foot in a dealership once, except when I bought the car 2 and a half years ago. Shit has broken, but only because I screwed up. Perhaps I'm lucky, or my car has low miles (they have been HARD miles though) Just curious.
I figure when something finally really goes on my car, its going to be something big, since I've been fortunate thus far.

#30 · (Edited)
Just quick list off the top of my head:

1) 2 hub/bearing assemblies entirely replaced under warranty.
This was admittedly another dealerships fault as they had way over-torqued the lug nuts to the point that they stripped the stud in the hub. I discovered this when I went to change my brake pads.

2) Battery half covered by warranty
Mileage: 29,000
The OEM battery died, they offered to cover half the cost of an optima red-top

3) OEM Seats replaced under warranty
Mileage: 29,000
While I was in having the battery checked I asked them to take a look at the seats as the stitching was coming off. They offered to flat replace them under warranty, to which I did not protest. But! they admitted afterwards they weren't supposed to do that, so don't anyone expect that. This was a great dealership though, they took wonderful care of me. PM me if you want to know which dealership, this was in the Chicago area.

4) Transfer case seal replaced & oil pan re-sealed
Mileage: 45,000
Transfer case was leaking fluid, they replaced under warranty. Also noticed the oil pan was also leaking fluid, so they re-sealed it under warranty.

hmm, all I can think of right now, I'm sure I'm missing some things.

#32 ·
I'm with you...the Evo is insanely expensive to maintain as a track car. But it is reliable, outside of the lunacy of track costs.
I'm in too deep to turn back anytime soon now. Plus, I don't really want to. This shit is expensive now matter how you look at it, if I spend 25% more on the Evo compared to another platform, so be it.
If I move out of the Evo, I'm going full-tilt insane-o. Maybe a Viper ACR or GT3 or the like. But I'm not that good a driver yet. I need a few more years with the Evo, then I'll think about something else. But who knows, I change my mind so often.....however, this is longest I've owned a car, ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.