Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

BC Racing BR coilovers user review

93K views 88 replies 29 participants last post by  ZeroCooll21 
#1 ·
Anyone running these coilovers on their evo X care to give them a review? They're a lot cheaper than tein flex and the company claims its comparable to tein flex. Can someone give us their thoughts on this, thanks.

#2 ·
I have them on my 08 evo x mr, and no problems (20,000+ miles) The finish looks brand new, no noises or clunking. And I like that there right in Orlando, Florida.
I bought mine from Logan @ Darksideengineering. He works with BC, actually he works in the same building as BC.

I even stopped into there headquarters when I was down in Florida on Vacation. Top of the line shop, great customer service.

#5 ·

I love the ride, I have them set in the middle, and think they ride just like my Tein Flex ( my 2 other of my cars have them ) I honestly cant tell the difference. If you want the ride to be like stock....stick with springs. If you want to be able to fully adjust your suspension, and save a grand, then go with BC coil-overs.

And yes, BC has came out with totally new rear pillow ball mounts, and they have the rear dial extensions so you can easily change your rear settings without removing the rear seats.

Drove with 3 people, fully loaded car and luggage rack from Maryland to Orlando Florida and back, and thought the ride was great.

#4 ·
I think there is a review on evom. My friend installed the BR coilovers on his GSR a while back, I don't think he wrote a review though :( However he said they felt like megan's and sold them right away and settled for springs. This was a while back when the BR was being introduced, perhaps it is better.

#6 ·
thanks for the input jsr..By the way your car looks nice and I like that rack..Planning on putting a thule rack on my RR evo X but I'm not sure what fit kit to use since thule doesn't have one yet. Your car also looks pretty low would you say that's about 2" or more?

#12 ·
I was running them before. I wasn't impressed w/them. Switched over to hks hipermax III's which I like much better.

#16 ·
i have em too. love em.

#21 ·
For the money, they're probably the best you can buy. They're the same manufacturer of the Megans but the BC Racing series is their top of the line setup. They provide shock dyno sheets which show that while far from the greatest, they're serviceable in some applications.

I ran them for around 20k on my old STi before upgrading to KWs....they weren't awful, but the lack of strut travel hurt over PA roads....also, the BR series will overheat when pushing them on track...

I'd like to try out the inverted setup on the X since adjustments can be made under the car, or the ER series after seeing their dyno sweep but I think if you're serious about upgrading your car's suspension you should just hop up into the european brands.

#23 ·
koni, ast, bilstein, kw

ohlins are made in japan but is a swedish company

#26 ·
for the money, they're not the worst you could do.

#35 ·
according to the shock dynos, they're fairly ok... 3 to 1 rebound to compression ratio, with say a 10k/12k springrate the travel issue won't be as bad and when set in the bottom 3rd of adjustments they should work pretty ok.

will they blow you away vs. a DFV? hell no, but they're also half the cost.

for the money, like i've said, they are not the worst you can do. you just are not going to get european quality out of them or ride quality or strut travel or valving. there isn't much cross talk in the ER series, but the upper 2/3rds of the shock dyno was so stiff it was almost useless.

#28 ·
I stated it earlier but I ran BC Type BRs before and they were destroyed within a year. They denied warranty because it was "wear and tear" and asked me to pay for new shocks - how's that for customer service?

I will say the BC Racing was little more durable than the Megan Racing coilovers (also made by Bor Chuan) but still no where near the Japanese/European suspension. In other words, it is junk.

#30 · (Edited)
There isn't much you can buy that is quality for around $1000.

I'd say Stance or the Eibach coilovers are as close as you can get to quality at that price. I have no personal experience with either of those, I am just going by other people's reviews - their experiences have been better than the BC Racing stuff. Otherwise, I'd say Japanese-made Tein is better, at least the shocks don't wear out as fast. Don't get the low end Taiwan-made Teins.

#33 ·
Why not just save more money and buy a set that doesn't have so many negative reviews?

I looked at the BC Racing stuff myself, as I didn't want to spend more than 1k on coilovers, and just decided it wasn't worth it. There are some things you can go cheap on; intakes, UICP, LICPs? Sure, it's just pipe. But coilovers? Meh. If they suck, they're gonna fuck you up. The worst a UICP can do is "not fit too well", coilovers could royally ruin you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.