Evo X Ohlins R&T Question - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
LexCredendi
n00b

Evo X Ohlins R&T Question

Hey guys,

New to the Evo X, nice to meet you guys. Just had a few suspension questions if that's all right, been doing some searching and reading, and there's all at once a lot of information, misinformation, and lack of information, haha.

Some background so you guys have an idea of where I'm coming from/what I'm looking for (TL;DR skip to next paragraph). I've come from an M3 followed by an S2000 CR. I've run through a few suspension setups on both cars, JRZ RS & RS Pro (for this I was in uncharted territory for the M3 and had to basically handle the settings and such myself), KW V3's and Clubsports, plenty of spring setups, etc. (can't remember it all). Never had to do sway bars since M3 and CR came with good ones from the factory. TL sorry, here's my question.

I'm tired of modding cars, messing with cars, doing shit to cars, etc. Utterly exhausted. Won't be doing power or cosmetics, at least not for ages. I am however interested in getting suspension done, in my personal opinion the stock GSR drives poorly (my friend's MR feels nicer). I'm probably getting the Ohlins R&T's since I hear it's a good setup but more importantly, one fairly simple to use/set up, and after searching and reading, have decided to probably go with a 10k setup all around. Won't be using R-compound, will be using Hankook R-S3's so I'm ok with those rates, don't need the higher 11~12k rates.

My question is in regards to supporting mods, since I've read a lot on sway bars and RCK's (although only a scant amount on the Ohlins, apparently not many takers on these?). I haven't read a lot on the two together. Sway bars recommended with the Ohlins? Front and rear or rear only? RCK's? Sway end links?

Thanks in advance fellas, and looking forward to being a part of the community.

Last edited by LexCredendi; 09-29-2013 at 01:42 AM.
LexCredendi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
MrAWD
Just Spooling Up

Welcome to the EVo world!

Now, RCK will be needed only if you are planning to lower the car a bit more! Once your lower arm start to point into the middle of the car (inner parts lower then outer parts), are pushing your center of roll into the ground at which point you would need extreme spring rates to keep the car off of the bump stops.

I have replaced my front bar with Whiteline version and it made a difference when running at full stiff. The nice part is that you have extra option to adjust things if needed with such a bar, and it doesn't cost that much money. Since you could adjust your spring to whatever is needed, you could get the same adjustments with swapping those instead. Your choice, I guess! If you change your bar, it make sense to get the end links as well due to the adjustability of those. Stock ones require allen wrench, and after the corrosion hits them. they are hard to loosen up after that. Aftermarket ones use two regular wrenches, so they will last much longer.

Good luck!

Fedja
  • camber: -2 degree front, -1.5 degree rear
  • toe: 0 all around
  • Hankook RS3v1 275/35/18s: 42 psi front, 39 psi rear
  • Enkei PF01 silver: 18x8.5
  • Whiteline Front Sway Bar at full stiff
  • Ferodo DS2500 (Carbotech AX6 lined up next)
My build thread
MrAWD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #3
dkevox
[Team IEG VP]

Well, we really need more info on what you will be doing with the car. Is this purely for a DD'er? or are you going to be hitting the track hardcore on the weekends? If so, how much experience do you have racing?

In general, my advice would be to start with just the Ohlins. They make a huge difference. If budget also allows it, I would also go for the RCK. I installed the RCK with my Ohlins, so I can't compare the ride without it to the ride with it, but I think the physics behind it makes sense.

Unless you are a track junkie and have figured out the proper alignment, tires, tire pressures, and coilover settings, I wouldn't go for the sway bars. Why do you need one more point of adjustment that might or might not be helping performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus View Post
Hey Ddawgg, you know what would be funny? I'll bring you some Taco Bell breakfast food at Evopalooza, ya know, like a joke. It'll be hilarious, I can't wait....oh...hold on a sec. I got ahead of myself, I forgot your a giagantic douche that would rather go to a wedding then dominate a road course. Nevermind....

---------------------------MY BUILD THREAD--------------------------
dkevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Brian303
Just Spooling Up

I've been happy with the recommended 10 clicks out. If you go lower and wider tires, you'll want to roll your rear fenders a bit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brian303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
RaX
Just Spooling Up

Lex, you also might want to consider the JRZ RS1s. Simple to use and gives a somewhat better ride than the Ohlins, from what I hear.
RaX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
xFonts
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaX View Post
Lex, you also might want to consider the JRZ RS1s. Simple to use and gives a somewhat better ride than the Ohlins, from what I hear.
Really? I heard the Ohlin's R&T give the best ride
xFonts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
EvoRN
Just Spooling Up

+1 Ohlins

Ohlins ride like no other coilover I have experience before. The ride is very "smooth". transition between dips, bumps and clipping apex are very smooth. I do not get that nerve wrecking vibration through the steering wheel when i'm clipping apex or going over dips and bumps. I no longer dodge or weave around road imperfection, because Ohilins does such a great job of absorbing the suspension travel. The price is high, but its worth every penny. Problem free since day one. I would buy Ohlins coilover again for my EVO and for all my future cars.

The perfect coilover for daily driving and track days!

Last edited by EvoRN; 10-03-2013 at 02:53 AM.
EvoRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
dkevox
[Team IEG VP]

Going with the Ohlin's or JRZ's and you can't go wrong. just look up warranty on both, check out where the shops are that can service and rebuild them, what the rebuild intervals are, and how much it costs to get done.

unless we find someone with extended experience with both the ohlin's and jrz rs1's, i doubt we'll be able to say which is better. They both are very good. I love my ohlin's and find it hard to believe any other shock could perform significantly better in terms of still providing comfort for driving on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus View Post
Hey Ddawgg, you know what would be funny? I'll bring you some Taco Bell breakfast food at Evopalooza, ya know, like a joke. It'll be hilarious, I can't wait....oh...hold on a sec. I got ahead of myself, I forgot your a giagantic douche that would rather go to a wedding then dominate a road course. Nevermind....

---------------------------MY BUILD THREAD--------------------------
dkevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
RU EVO
[Local Team Member]

You may want to get the Ohlins customized if you want better performance. Out of the box their specs aren't the most desirable. I have 10k Front/10.5K Rear. Rear sway is what most run, but I had most success on the middle notch not going full stiff on the rear sway. If you're going past -2 camber might look into getting the control/toe arms. I don't have a RCK so I can't comment on that.

Regardless I've had my Ohlins for over 3 years no squeaking BS or noise. A smooth nice ride that aggressively and drastically improves precision, speed, and confidence in turns. It has been my favorite mod on my car and I have a lot of them.
RU EVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Slebo3213
Just Spooling Up

Ohlins, even at the softest setting, is rough for a DD. Had them and eventually took them off. I live in a urban area of the mid atlantic with crappy roads. To be honest, I rarely miss them.

Different story if you have plans to track the car.
Slebo3213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement